Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ban on 4th or more provisional

Options
  • 07-01-2008 4:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

im a 19 year old full license driver and i know the pain people go thru to get a full. i think what should happen instead of introducing the new law for learners that it should only be imposed on people with their 4th or more provisional! imo anyone that hasn't a full license by the time they're third provisional has expired is a joke and a disgrace! its these kind of people that should really be limited to the use of their car!:p
    does anyone agree??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Um, no. That makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

how does it not make any sense?
    people taking that amount of time to get a full license must not be getting any lessons in the lead up to tests!
    i mean to get a fourth prov license they would have to do the test at least three times!
    surely a person that has failed his/her test three times isn't good enough to be allowed on the road on their own!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

im a 19 year old full license driver and i know the pain people go thru to get a full

What pain ?
    I learned to drive when I was 18 and enjoyed every minute of it. Once you take some lessons and put in the practice then the test shouldn't hold any pain for anyone (bit of nerves sure but no pain)!

well i had to do it in tuam which has very narrow streets and roadworks everywhere!!! so for me learnin was a pain but now i can drive freely!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

i mean to get a fourth prov license they would have to do the test at least three times!

Twice - no test required for second provisional.

And they never need to have set a test, just applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Would this be a lifetime ban ?

(worse than you get for death by dangerous driving)...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

how does it not make any sense?
    people taking that amount of time to get a full license must not be getting any lessons in the lead up to tests!
    surely a person that has failed his/her test three times isn't good enough to be allowed on the road on their own!!:(

What doesn't make sense is allowing someone to drive alone for 5 years up to that point without passing a test. You think it makes sense to allow someone to start driving unaccompanied the moment their first provisional arrives in the letterbox?

look maybe i wasn't that clear! of coarse a person shouldn't be allowed to drive alone with out any experience! what i was trying to say was that the new law the goverment brought in should have been enforced on the people who have their fourth or more provisional license straight away simply because of the fact that they have absolutely no excuse not to have a full license!:cool:

So what's the excuse for not having a full license after two years?

look maybe i wasn't that clear! of coarse a person shouldn't be allowed to drive alone with out any experience! what i was trying to say was that the new law the goverment brought in should have been enforced on the people who have their fourth or more provisional license straight away simply because of the fact that they have absolutely no excuse not to have a full license!:cool:

The new law only affected people on second provisionals and that's the only thing that's being deferred. Everyone else is only getting away with driving unaccompanied because the Gardaí/judges can't be arsed enforcing the law.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

imo anyone that hasn't passed a test by the time they are on their 2nd provisional they shouldn't be allowed on the road unsupervised

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

miju wrote: »
    imo anyone that hasn't passed a test by the time they are on their 2nd provisional they shouldn't be allowed on the road unsupervised

That would make sense if there was a continuously based assessment system as used in other european countries. A pass/fail rate of the order of 50% for driving tests obviously means that the current system works ok.

You can do the leaving cert as many times as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

miju wrote: »

IMO anyone that hasn't passed the test, which after all is just a basic competency test, shouldn't be allowed out unsupervised at all. The idea that anyone learning is should be considered suitable to drive unsupervised is insane.

Any improvement in the system is dependent on the waiting times being down to under 30 days across the board.

Once/If that happens then Learner Permits should be for 12 months and sitting a test needs to be a condition of an application for a further 12 month permit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I wholeheartedly agree with you John which is why I said by the time they are on their 2nd provisional.

heard the transport minister on the radio today and he was saying as far as he's concerned a 10 week waiting time is perfectly acceptable and the waiting times will be down to that by June

I think 10 weeks is acceptable considering you have to be driving for 6 months before taking your test anyway. (providing it's 10 weeks or less and not some vague "ah about 10 weeks" Irish notion).

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Personally I still think 10 weeks is too long. 4-6 would be much more reasonable - but I am not expecting miracles.

My biggest concern is that when ministers talk about 10 weeks, they mean as an average across the country, rather than a maximum in any test centre.

The last time I heard Gay Byrne talking about waiting times, he said it was now at 12-14 weeks, even though I had been waiting 20 at the time for mine!

According to the website, waiting times for Cork are now 11 weeks! Can't wait to see if it actually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

not everyone who is on a 2nd provisional has failed the test. I got my first provisional, started taking lessons and put in for the test but before it came up I got offered a place on course in new york I wanted so I took it.

Came back after 4 years and went to get new provisional, I actually assumed I'd start over on a first provisional [don't know why] but I got a second. Again took lessons and put in for test now after 7 months of waiting I'm finally getting the test next week.

Up until september I would have agreed that provisional drivers shouldn't be let out on their own but if you live down the country it is very difficult to work without driving. My dad past away in september, my mum lives a 40 minute drive away. There is one bus that goes once a day, it takes over and hour and 40 mins to do the same trip and doesn't run on weekends. I was so happy I had a 2nd provisional then as my mum couldn't leave the house and I had to go over and do her shopping and all the other bits.

Yes there are annoying people who are on 3rd and 4th provisionals who have just not bothered to get the test [I have one friend like that] but not everyone is in the situation.

Its all well and good to up date the learner driver laws but money should be put into public transport at the same time to balance everything. I for one would rather take public transport any day of the week and when I lived in new york I was in heaven. 24 hour transport that was affordable, I came back to dublin for a year and nearly went mad trying to work with the public transport system there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I had my third provisional licence before I every sat behind the wheel, nevermind taking a test.

(First two were for ID)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ztoical wrote: »
    Came back after 4 years and went to get new provisional, I actually assumed I'd start over on a first provisional [don't know why] but I got a second.
    If 5 or more years have passed since the expiration of the previously issued licence, the applicant is required to 'start again'. ;)

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    Its all well and good to up date the learner driver laws but money should be put into public transport at the same time to balance everything. I for one would rather take public transport any day of the week and when I lived in new york I was in heaven. 24 hour transport that was affordable, I came back to dublin for a year and nearly went mad trying to work with the public transport system there.

i agree with the point you've made unless your living in a city/town or on a primary national road or living in the surrounding counties of dublin you haven't a chance of being able to rely on the public transport! i go to college in galway and i cud be in town till 8 a lot of nights and the latest bus going out past my house is at half five!!:mad:

I don't see what shoddy public transport has to do with allowing people to drive around on learner permits for 4 years.

Advertisement