Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Graphics Card?

Options
  • 07-01-2008 9:35am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need some help chosing a graphics card please - I really don't know much about them at all.

I don't really play any games, that isn't important, so I'm only looking for somehting basic really. However, i would like it to be Dual Monitor Capable - I may get another Dell 19" Ultrasharp TFT and would like a Dual Monitor setup.

My PC is a Dell Dimension 5000 - I think it takes PCI Express Cars (isn't that the standard now?)

This is a list of PCI-e cards on Komplett, can anyone point me in the rigth direction please?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you don't want it to play games just get the cheapest PCI-Express one with two dvi ports on it. Better double check that the Dell does indeed take PCI-Express cards first though! When was it bought? Some budget dells often don't have any agp/pci-express port on the motherboard at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ok Thanks.

I'm still a little copnfused though.

This one says it has "2xDVI" but in the picture it seems only to have 1x VGA and 1x DVI output. Does this mean you can use two monitors, ones uses the standard VGA connection and one uses the DVI Conenction?

This one has 2x DVI connections.

Is there any reason I should get the second one?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Well, I was just assuming both monitors have DVI. What kind of connection has your monitor got? Most decent monitors have both types. DVI is better than VGA as it is digital throughout, but most people probably won't notice the difference. You could go with DVI+VGA.

I would trust the specs listed more than the photo on the site also. You should be able to use VGA and DVI at the same time on a card with both.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks. My Monitor is a Dell 1905FP and has both VGA and DVI. I was thinking the same, I could run one with VGA and the other wth DVI - the differene is barely noticible.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Having a similar problem to the OP, have to buy a graphics card because our new computer either has a very useless one or doesn't have one and have no idea what I need to buy. Ah the fun of having someone buy a PC from Dunnes.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Dell Dimension 5000 is pci-e alright...

Just to point out

Komplett's delivery is €12.50 on all cards,while dabs is €5 for cards under €80....

HD2600pro €74 delivered,its a decent card,you can play games on medium settings if you feel like it...

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4N4H&CategorySelectedId=11137&NavigationKey=11137,43990000,47710000,397780000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I know (or rather my brother told me) that our new computer needs a graphics card but how will I know what one to get?

It's a Medion (pile of crap, but then it was bought for my mam and all she really does is play solitaire and type) pc with windows vista basic.
    Model: PC MT 7
    Typ: MED MT-475G

Processor: Intel Celeron D CPU 3.46GHz Memory(RAM) 512MB
    32 bit operating system.

I have no idea what all of that means but all I know is that I can't play EA rugby 08 on it without a distorted picture.

These are the system requirements for that game
    Windows 2000/XP
    1GHz Processor
    256MB Ram
    1.2 GB Hard Drive Space
    32 SPEED CD / DVD Drive
    32 MB* Graphics Card
    DirectX 9.0c compatible Sound Card
    DriectX Version 9.0c (included)
    2-4 players on 1 pc
    Keyboard, Mouse or USB Gamepad

Can anyone give me some advice on what I need to do to make this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I would nearly stretch for a 3850.

€150 and its a very decent card, probably more than you need but at least if you decide to play games when getting the 2600, you won't be cursing the decision down the line.

Advertisement