Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy admits he got it wrong - Ronaldo

• 07-01-2008 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Not exactly shocking but id like to read this interview

Read the headline of a newspaper today where Dunphy has an exclusive interview saying he got it 'So wrong about Ronaldo'

Not sure which newspaper it was it looked like a tabloid paper, anyone got the interview for posting here or a link to it id say it'l be interesting watch him twist his words?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

At least he can admit it when he thinks he was wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    At least he can admit it when he thinks he was wrong
    i won't believe it yet.

He'll probably find a way to say that he was really right all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Not sure which newspaper it was it looked like a tabloid paper

I'd imagine its the Star, seeing as he has a page to himself on it most days. If this is true its about 18 months later than he should have admitted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It's in The Star this morning. I had a glance at it in the newsagents earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's soley to sell papers. Don't be surprised if he changes his mind again once something 'justifies' it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

:(:(:(

NOOO!!!

Sorry but I doubt im the only one who likes Dunphys rants against common sense and his complete lack of contact with the real world in regards to Ronaldo. Ill miss him calling him rubbish before matches where he scores twice :(:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is it online anywhere? It's about time he ate his words.

He's just doing it to get more publicity. Ronaldo will do something like dive in a big game, and then he'll go on about that for another 3-4 years.

That said, I did enjoy him trying to argue that Ronaldo was **** after he scored amazing last minute goals. It was impressive to politician standards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I love it when he compares players/teams to when he considers 'Real' players/teams.

These are usually players/teams that he maybe has seen 3-4 times a year - MAX.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

as PHB says, its all to sell papers.

dunphy only has his own agenda and hes very good at wat he does... and im not talking about being a football pundit, more half baked Irish celebrity who is only in the public eye for ridiculous reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They read a bit of it out on the sports report during Ray D'arcy's show today.

Basically just said "i've always viewed him as a puff-ball who was overhyped etc...but sometimes i have to hold up my hands and admit when im wrong, and i can't deny that he has developed into an excellent player."

Its probably a full page of waffle, but that was the gist of what they read out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PHB wrote: »
    Ronaldo will do something like dive in a big game
    Get out of town. Ronaldo doesn't do that anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Fair play to the man

Now where's his column about being wrong about Rio Ferdinand to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I knew it ;):
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54373295&postcount=162

I did actually get a sense watching that programme then that they were simply fed up complaining about Ronaldo.

Also, Dunphy used to slate McGeady all the time and I got the sense he didn't want it to be another Ronaldo case so as soon as McGeady had an excellent game in the CL he apologised. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If only he would hold his hand up to everything else he has got wrong..

If only he would hold his hand up to everything else he has got wrong..

in that case he would constantly look like hes waving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

If only Ronaldo would show "some honesty of effort" and Giles could bactrack too. Unlikely to ever happen though. The effort that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ronaldo is seriously class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Get out of town. Ronaldo doesn't do that anymore.

:D post of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

"Ronaldo is a puffball", was one of the funnier ones, that before putting in a Man of the match performance in the 7-1 win vs Roma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Unlikely to ever happen though. The effort that is

what effort you talking about? ronaldo tries harder than most, infact, the lad runs himself into the ground time and time again. he gets kicked up and down the pitch and still plays on. tis about time people started giving this lad the credit he deserves and not nit picking at little things here and there and making an issue from it.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    If only Ronaldo would show "some honesty of effort" and Giles could bactrack too. Unlikely to ever happen though. The effort that is

didnt fergie say that ronnie was the first to arrive and last to leave the training ground?
    also homerjay brings up lots of valid points.
    it could just be giles talking out of his behind because he wants to take at least some swipe at the PL's best player. it could also be that he isnt really a good pundit anymore and past his sell by date and just doesnt know wat to make of the modern game.

im going for a combo of both

I think Giles showed his opinions of the game when he said he didn't rate Platini because he never got stuck in. It's funny how defenders are allowed just defend, but attackers aren't allowed just attack. But that's how Giles thinks, at least he is consistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

PHB wrote: »
    I think Giles showed his opinions of the game when he said he didn't rate Platini because he never got stuck in. It's funny how defenders are allowed just defend, but attackers aren't allowed just attack. But that's how Giles thinks, at least he is consistant.

Yeah, i agree with Giles to be honest, that Messi kid is crap in goal, never understood all the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think Fergie would give out to Ronaldo if he was back in the box defending all the time. He's there to provide an outlet, and stop the other team sending all their defender's forward. It's no surprise that with Ronaldo off the pitch, that United end up being boxed in when they're holding on for a win/draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ronaldo does as much work off the ball as Kaka. If their manager wanted it to be any different it would be. All they're doing is following instructions. Ancelloti said it takes 7 players in a team to defend. That leaves 3 players up forward waiting for the break.

Giles said something similar about Riquelme. He didn't rate Riquelme because he didn't do enough work off the ball. Brady had to step in and disagree.

Advertisement