Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty old town.

Options
  • 07-01-2008 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

Sligo is Ireland's dirtiest town.

What are ye at down there? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I see Cavan is spotless, they are so tight they won't even throw litter away. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

They'll probably win the bloody thing with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hagar wrote: »
    I see Cavan is spotless, they are so tight they won't even throw litter away. :D
    Nice one :D

I dare you to post that up on the Cavan forum :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

smashey wrote: »
    Sligo is Ireland's dirtiest town.

What are ye at down there? :D

Wouldn't have thought Sligo was that bad myself but there you go! I think the town was tested the day after my ticker-tape home coming parade.... :D

Wouldn't have thought Sligo was that bad myself but there you go! I think the town was tested the day after my ticker-tape home coming parade.... :D
    On license or parole? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

muffler wrote: »
    Nice one :D

I dare you to post that up on the Cavan forum :eek:
    I'd love to but I'm up to my eyes in AH. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snark

Apparently the Mayor does not accept the findings of the town being the dirtiest in the country.

He presumably would be as quick off the mark if it were named one of the cleanest.....

Anyway, all An Taisce had to do first off was to visit Tesco's in Sligo - the dirtiest supermarket in Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

The worst spot in town has to be outside the Ship Inn, you can't even see the footpath with all the cigarette butts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

This isn't the first time Sligo's been named the dirtiest town though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

It was lovely and clean this morning though, strange that when RTE news were filming:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I would not agree with it at all.

The only thing they could be basing it on is outside the 4 lights at 3.00am on a Sunday morning.

I certainly don't think it's the worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Was around town on Tuesday night. It was 2 nights after New Years and the clubs were shut the previous night (most of them anyway) and the town was filthy. There were little cyclones of rubbish blowing up and down the streets. In other cities you see a huge cleanup each and every morning. It just doesn't happen in Sligo. The footpaths are covered in chewing gum, there's chip bags everywhere and just general waste.
    I'm so used of it, I only notice it when it gets really bad. If I visited another town that was as bad as Sligo, I'd be disgusted. What few bins there are, are usually overflowing. There seems to be no street cleaning during the day. Sligo people might be to blame in some way, but generally I would imagine they're little worse than anywhere else. The corporation are inept. There is no excuse or reasoning they can put foward to explain why Sligo is so consistantly bad. The people carrying out the survey have no vested interest in seeing Sligo doing badly yet again. Whether the Mayor accepts the findings or not is neither here nor there. His time should be spent rectifying the problem, not disputing the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

il gatto wrote: »
    What few bins there are, are usually overflowing.

Quick Fact; From Tesco Arcade all the way to Sjummerhill(sic), there isn't one bin along the way. Bit of a no-brainer really where the should put them tbh.

Quick Fact; From Tesco Arcade all the way to Sjummerhill(sic), there isn't one bin along the way. Bit of a no-brainer really where the should put them tbh.

Also. The bins should have ashtrays in the top of them.

I saw a street cleaner today. His "machine" was a relic. A Yellow frame with a dustbin sitting in it and he was armed with a brush and a shovel.

Surely we've moved on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

. In other cities you see a huge cleanup each and every morning. It just doesn't happen in Sligo.
    Are you sure? I usually see cleaners around Stephen St. carpark every morning at about 8- 8.30, clearing away rubbish. (usually beer cans)
    The footpaths are covered in chewing gum, there's chip bags everywhere and just general waste.
    I agree about the gum. I was walking down Quay St. today, the footpath is covered in it.. The thing is if they get it off, it'll be covered again before long.
    Don't know about chip bags being everywhere, I'm sure there is after the clubs shut, but I don't see chip bags everywhere during the day. Ditto general waste.
    I wouldn't say Sligo is any better or worse than other towns I've been to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I was thinking the same thing about the bin thing as well but woudlnt imagine could be as simple. But, I seem to remember on a number of occasions having to carry stuff around actively finding one. I can understand if Sligo was a target for some terrorist attacks or something. (there used to be a lack of bins in London for this reason), but is it just a mad oversight like the toilet situation? :confused:

tuppence wrote: »
    But, I seem to remember on a number of occasions having to carry stuff around actively finding one.
    As do I.
    Bins? Who needs bins?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Other towns clean up their center every morning thoroughly. In Killarney (where tourists actually visit) you see a team of guys going around sweeping and emptying bins long before the town wakes up. In Sligo I've seen the road sweeper (mechanical) being driven haphazardly down streets with little regard as to whether any rubbish has been collected. Stephen St. car park is cleaned due to excessive cans and bottles from alcos and minker drinking. It would look like a recycling center in a week otherwise.
    To this day I've never seen anybody trying to clean chewing gum off a footpath in Sligo. If they were doing it, you'd notice as they use a big steam machine thing to do it. Outside the Four Lights, the path is more gum than concrete. When I was in school, a transition year class did a survey of litter in Sligo. A younger sibling of a friend of mine was doing it and said that they got something like 200+ pieces of chewing gum per square meter. That was at least 13 years ago and the path has never been replaced and by looking at it, never cleaned either.
    As far as the litter cyclones go, they were chip bags and it was at 10.30ish on Tuesday night. It was long before closing time and most of the clubs were not open on the previous night. It had obviously been blowing around the town since New Years Eve. The town often looks like that on a blustery night. You don't tend to notice the rubbish when it sits in doorways and the gutter.
    With the way the town has developed (mostly private enterprise) it's a pity the corporation have failed the town. No public toilet, O'Connell Street never renovated, litter everywhere, crap Christmas lights, not enough parking and dire traffic congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Other towns clean up their center every morning thoroughly. In Killarney (where tourists actually visit)

Lol... I love Sligo, I guess I (like Yeats) am a frequent Dub tourist in the area. The litter is brutal though. Allthough there is a lack of clean ups, locals can be seen constantly littering.

lightening wrote: »
    Lol... I love Sligo

God Bless You;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gillie wrote: »
    The only thing they could be basing it on is outside the 4 lights at 3.00am on a Sunday morning.
    Or down by Peking House on Pearse Road..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

God Bless You;)

And of course I bring my rubbish home!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Other towns clean up their center every morning thoroughly. In Killarney (where tourists actually visit) you see a team of guys going around sweeping and emptying bins long before the town wakes up. In Sligo I've seen the road sweeper (mechanical) being driven haphazardly down streets with little regard as to whether any rubbish has been collected. Stephen St. car park is cleaned due to excessive cans and bottles from alcos and minker drinking. It would look like a recycling center in a week otherwise.
    To this day I've never seen anybody trying to clean chewing gum off a footpath in Sligo. If they were doing it, you'd notice as they use a big steam machine thing to do it. Outside the Four Lights, the path is more gum than concrete. When I was in school, a transition year class did a survey of litter in Sligo. A younger sibling of a friend of mine was doing it and said that they got something like 200+ pieces of chewing gum per square meter. That was at least 13 years ago and the path has never been replaced and by looking at it, never cleaned either.
    As far as the litter cyclones go, they were chip bags and it was at 10.30ish on Tuesday night. It was long before closing time and most of the clubs were not open on the previous night. It had obviously been blowing around the town since New Years Eve. The town often looks like that on a blustery night. You don't tend to notice the rubbish when it sits in doorways and the gutter.
    With the way the town has developed (mostly private enterprise) it's a pity the corporation have failed the town. No public toilet, O'Connell Street never renovated, litter everywhere, crap Christmas lights, not enough parking and dire traffic congestion.

i know wrigleys wont be too happy with this suggestion.
    Would a ban on the sale of chewing gum be the answer.
    i feel that nobody is addicted to chewing gum and i personally do not think that anybody would object strongly.
    Also the publicans of the town should be warned by the litter warden to clean cigarette butts from outside their premises on a daily basis.
    i know the wind will carry butts but a regular spot check especially during summer months should rectify this- at the end of the day it is in the publicans own interests as people will not come to a dirty town.
    i cant understand how sligo went from the top 3 clean towns for the last 3 years straight to the dirtiest. seems to be a bit of a hit and miss survey. i cant see this deterioration but do readily admit the severe litter problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Sligored wrote: »
    i know wrigleys wont be too happy with this suggestion.
    Would a ban on the sale of chewing gum be the answer.
    i feel that nobody is addicted to chewing gum and i personally do not think that anybody would object strongly.
    Also the publicans of the town should be warned by the litter warden to clean cigarette butts from outside their premises on a daily basis.
    i know the wind will carry butts but a regular spot check especially during summer months should rectify this- at the end of the day it is in the publicans own interests as people will not come to a dirty town.
    i cant understand how sligo went from the top 3 clean towns for the last 3 years straight to the dirtiest. seems to be a bit of a hit and miss survey. i cant see this deterioration but do readily admit the severe litter problem.

Re Gum: God love the smokers this time of the year trying to give up if you ban it. :eek::)
    Seriously, I think theres a direct tax coming down the pipleine unless somehing has happened since this. (excuse the source)
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/chewing-gum-and-fast-food-levy-will-bankroll-cleanup-1042585.html?r=RSS
    Maybe Sligo Local authority might be able to afford the "ma..chine" for the job then! ;) Theres also fines for littering but they dont seem to be implemented.
    Suppose its about prioritising, but that will be hard when there looks like seems to be a fierce sense of denial going on.
    Re the survey, Sligo may have been unlucky re timing, ie could have been taken round the time of the World Rally Championships, but sure tis the luck of the draw. If they have real issues about its reliability and how Sligo may have been treated differently then they should make it known. I would have thought that any place at the potential to be surveyed on a weekend. No harm in a bit of constructive critism, if they use it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sligo is a dump, I hate living in the place. Thank god it's only for college though. I wonder if they had an "Irelands worst accent" how would Sligo fare out? :D

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Sligo is a dump, I hate living in the place. Thank god it's only for college though. I wonder if they had an "Irelands worst accent" how would Sligo fare out? :D
    I would start running after that remark ;)

Awaits the rumble of the impending avalanche of replies

You weren't forced to go to college in Sligo! Deal with it! Would like to hear some specifics though?

For the record I went to college in Letterkenny and loved it.

muffler wrote: »
    I would start running after that remark ;)

At least Sligo would actually WIN something if they had an "Ireland worst accent" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I agree, I wouldn't spend too much time in a town i don't like, and like Gillie spent time in LK and loved it.

JC look for a move to another college..

Actually don't really like living in dublin that much but the money is good not easy trying to get a decent job in my area around the NW. Will be stepping up the job hunt in the coming weeks though.

• Advertisement

I had 2 choices for my course: Dublin or Sligo. Sligo was closer to home and cheaper to live in. 'Find another course' - Cop on to yerself would ya.

Sligo is a dump and is common knowledge. Considering I walk around Sligo most days during the winter (I try to not use the car during the week) the streets are just plain manky

You can defend it all you want or burst out with ridiclous comments but it won't hide the fact that Sligo is a tip. Most students I know reckon it's 'good craic' because they come from the most redneck parts of Ireland (Glenamaddy, General Mayo, Roscommon etc.) which is fair enough, students are pretty much let loose up there

Advertisement