Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times article on Christmas game sales

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    has anyone got the feeling that sony practially bribe the media to cover news about Playstation?? when PS2 and PS3 got released, they were covered in hype in papers and news. not so for wii or 360.
    Wii got a tone of mainstream news coverage before Chistrmas, and the 360 got the same at the Halo 3 launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

monument wrote: »
    Wii got a tone of mainstream news coverage before Chistrmas, and the 360 got the same at the Halo 3 launch.

but that was because the wii was sold out over christmas and Halo 3 is massive with or without coverage. i just always felt the media "like" sony more. as someone already said, newspaper reporters all got psps for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

but that was because the wii was sold out over christmas and Halo 3 is massive with or without coverage. i just always felt the media "like" sony more. as someone already said, newspaper reporters all got psps for nothing.

Heh. Halo 3 is massive with or without coverage? Surely it's massive because of the coverage. Microsoft's marketing money is the one and only thing it has had over franchises like Call of Duty and Half Life over the years and I don't think many people who are into games would possibly consider it the massive world conquering event it was universally hyped to be by the media when it came out. Microsoft's official xbox Live usage figures for this month have even shown Call of Duty 4 to be ahead of it, and it had practically no hype by comparison.

Same goes for the Wii. It's been all over the media since it came out, god knows how many times I've seen presenters showing people playing tennis and bowling on various shows, not to mention seeing billboards with the likes of Philip Schofield endorsing the DS all over the place here in the UK.

Sony are equally bad of course but they're certainly not the only ones. Historically (well, in the last decade) Sony did get by far the most coverage but that's because they basically accounted for three quarters of the entire games market in Ireland for years, and now that Microsoft and Nintendo are making strides they're getting coverage too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

...newspaper reporters all got psps for nothing.

Did they all get them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

they also got free xbox 360's ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

well...all i can tell is...my friend got a ps3 for xmas,what did he get?

a tennis game and smack down...GREAT.

people really buy the console for the brand?no doubt for me ireland is a big supporter of Sony,which is sad we never treated well by (any) game company...

Advertisement