Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating work - quote advice

Options
  • 07-01-2008 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭

am getting work done on central heating system:

new condenser boiler
    2 new rads
    pressurising the system
    thermostatic rad valves and thermostatic stat
    balancing etc

all in all quoted at €3,500 to €4,000

is this a realistic quote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,156 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I have heard quotes for standard boilers of 2500 and well over 3000 for condensing boilers, so I would think that, if you are happy with the company and standard of work, the quote is reasonable.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

It could be ok, people may often find quotes cheaper than what I offer however I use good materials and provide a good clean level of service. Often our long terms customers wont price around as they know exactly what they are getting with us. Recommendation is usually key so perhaps ask friends or relatives.

If they are installing trv valves on all radiators i'd always recommend changing the lockshield at the same time as well. Make sure the system is power flushed in that quote as well, steel in the old radiators can react against steel in the new radiators and boilers and cause leaks. Many manufactures recommend power flushing before installation as they wont stand over their guarantee if you dont. Yes it adds to the price but if you're gonna do it do it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I use a powerflush unit ,but not under these circumstances.
    The installer should treat your system with chemicals a week or so ,before the job is to be done.
    Then when they start the job ,the system will be nice and clean.

It's a lot of work to flush a system with the powerflush ,not necessary if the right chemicals are used before installation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement