Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good rpg for ps1?

Options
  • 07-01-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

just looking for some opinions. I've been playing FF7, FF8 and FF9 on my psp over the last few months but i've finished them all before so i dont think i'm gonna go all the way with them again!

Just wondering if anyone can suggest any other good FF-esque rpgs that were released on the ps1? I've been looking around and possible candidates are:

Tales of Phantasia (jap release but there's an english patch), Dragon Warrior VII (is it as good as Dragon Quest VIII?), Legend of Dragoon

Has anyone played these or have other recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dragon Warrior VII isn't as good as VIII but it's still a great game. I'd recommend against Legend of Dragoon, it's a very cliche and quite boring RPG.

The two very best RPG's in the vein of Final Fantasy are Suikoden 2 (very rare to find) and Grandia.

Suikoden 2 is a very plot heavy RPG that takes a while to get going but trust me, it has one of the best and most heartbreaking storylines ever. The castle system is also excellent and there's a bit of a pokemon thing going on since there are 108 characters to recruit, the majority of which are playable.

Grandia is a brilliant RPG in the vein of FFIX. It's cute and the storyline isn't very serious but it makes up for it with fantastic characters and probably the best battle system of any RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Thanks a lot Retrogamer, i knew you'd know (that's why i posted here!!) You must have played every rpg ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Grandia is a brilliant RPG in the vein of FFIX. It's cute and the storyline isn't very serious but it makes up for it with fantastic characters and probably the best battle system of any RPG.

+1

Well worth getting your hands on if you like RPG's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Thanks Dregon. Grandia it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

look for the Tales series and the Wild Arms series!they are very great games as well back then!check the review for which game in the series worth you money :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not too clued in on the Wild Arms series but the Tales of games are fantastic. I know Tales of Destiny 1 and 2 are in english on the PSP. However one of them was released as tales of eternia on the PSP so you might have it already (might need to check wikipedia to see if tales of eternia really is a rerelease but I'm almost sure it is).

You won't be disappointed with Grandia, you have to have no heart not to fall in love with that game. Pity the superior Saturn version never got an english translation, from the little I played of it it's a much nicer looking game than the PS1 version.

If you like a good storyline then don't miss out on Suikoden 2. Not many people are lucky enough to have played it but those that have swear by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

FF/suidoken/tales/grandia/dragon quest/wildarms/persona/legend of mana/breath of fire/Valkyrie Profile/parasite Eve,no much good RPG back when ps1 yr really lol did i just say 'few'?

take your time ,OP,thats bacically all the games i touched back then :)

@ser retro:did you realise that you have replied this thread earlier,stop repeating some same points :p

wild arms1/2 are quite famous back then i think,rpg from sony,i remember ,cant expect much,but i remember i was amazed!
    grandia too i like it,but seems these two RPG series didnt do well at later stage...blame Square for their CG domination!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I thought the legend of dragoon was quite good actually,only part I did'nt like about it was how hard it was to level up,anyway you should try star ocean the 2nd story very good game very popular as well,but impossible to get a pal copy now without paying hundreds for it :-/,as retro said and other posters,grandia,suikoden 2,also if you can get your hands on them vandal hearts 1 and 2 the graphics aint great but they got a great story line ;-D there were loads of rpg games for the ps1 released but never made it to europe,have a look at rpgdreamers.com and go to the ps1 section they have a list there,wish I had a chipped ps1/2 ;-(

Forgot to mention Xenogears, another RPG that never made it to Europe. Really good battle system and a very well written and intelligent storyline, especially if you are a fan of anime. Unfortunately the development of the game got cut short due to problems with Final Fantasy VII so the second disk is a bit of a letdown but the game is worth playing just to see how much better than FFVII this game could have been and for the great storyline.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I take it you've played xenogears have you retro?Its suppose to be a classic.....As well as having a good story line I heard it was hard enough.

• Advertisement

It's no difficult than any other JRPG. The last boss is a bit of a difficulty spike but if you do the side quests beforehand it's perfectly manageable. It's well worth playing and it's almost nearly a classic. It comes from a time when EA published the Square games in America so there is no censorship, so expect loads of anti religious sentiment it's very obvious when character sleep with each other in parts (tastefully done mind you). The only problem is the rushed second half of the game. Square pulled almost the entire team off the game to finish FFVII. The second half of the game is the two main characters sitting on chairs telling you what happens in the story and you do the odd dungeon now and again. Then your dumped on to the world map and told to go here for the final boss or wander around and do the pitiful amount of subquests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Have to give "The grandstream saga" a mention, fairly hard to come by though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Blue-dragon

Does anybody knows where to buy the psone games thesedays on dublin?? i am looking for final fantasy7, and ff8. Also looking Resident evil 1,2,3 and silent hill if anybody had any. Glad to negotiate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

lately all ive wanted to do is play my old ps1 games too....either that or buy a snes off someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Breath of Fire III is a great and under-rated RPG as well. I just really loved the charecters, the fishing mini game and most of all the dragon splicing transformations.

Has a pretty kick ass story line too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

PSOne had some great RPGs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

vagrant story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Suikoden 2 is a very plot heavy RPG that takes a while to get going but trust me, it has one of the best and most heartbreaking storylines ever. The castle system is also excellent and there's a bit of a pokemon thing going on since there are 108 characters to recruit, the majority of which are playable.

I'm currently playing this on my psp and its awesome. I just had my fight against neclord's abomination. I think i messed up in regards to runes as most of my characters don't have them. I basically didn't know which ones were once of appearances and which were worth the investment.

Also i ignored some characters so there very low level. Urgh time to grind some random battles.

I'm currently playing this on my psp and its awesome. I just had my fight against neclord's abomination. I think i messed up in regards to runes as most of my characters don't have them. I basically didn't know which ones were once of appearances and which were worth the investment.

Also i ignored some characters so there very low level. Urgh time to grind some random battles.

Well I'll answer both your questions. With runes I tend to de-equip everyone once I'm finished a story section and want to change characters. It's best to keep at least 2 water runes for healing and then the rest should be all out magic and physical offense depending on the characters expertise.

Also there is absolutely no point in grinding in the game. Suikoden has level caps were if you are at a certain point in the game you will get to a certain level and after that you will get absymal experience points. Also the levelling up system allows even extremely low level characters to catch up to high level characters. Very low level characters will nearly match the levels of high level characters after 2-3 fights in the latest dungeon. The main character has spells that kill everything other than bosses outright. Use these at the beginning of a new area to boost the low level characters to acceptable levels. So don't be afraid to bring a few extremely low level characters with you.

Lucky you getting to play this game again fresh. The story is only going to get much better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thanks for the advice.

I really love the story. It evolves nicely. Its got one of those "If i do this i'm finished.... wait a minute... whats this story arch changing to" feelings.

• Advertisement

It's what I love about the game as well. It's a lot more realistic than other JRPGs that tend to explain everything with magic and use it to fill plot holes. It's also an absolutely heartbreaking story that it tells really emotional.

And then there is Luca Blight. How people rank Sephiroth as the best videogame bad guy ever when this guy exists is beyond me. A truly tragic and down right evil piece of work, probably the best videogame villian since Kefka.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭davidtobin100

Retrogamer: Right there with you on Kefka!

Codemonkey: Vagrant Story is excellent and well worth picking up if you can. Very hard to find though as it came at the end of the PS1's lifespan. It's also part of the "Ivalice Alliance" which contains the FF Tactics games and FF XII, so it's the closest you'll get to a FF tie-in.

It's also part of the "Ivalice Alliance" which contains the FF Tactics games and FF XII, so it's the closest you'll get to a FF tie-in.

It's nothing to do with FF. It only got shoehorned into the ivalice alliance along with FF tactics as part of the new square enix corporate raping of the FF brand.

It is however a stonkingly good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I have to agree about Suikoden. I didn't own the first game, so my time playing it was brief. I must have played through the second one about 4 times. Luca Blight was an amazing villain, his tortured past hardly made up for his sadism! I didn't play any of the later ones, was the Yuber/Pesmerga plotline ever tied up?

Also, the first two were released together for the PSP in Japan, but they didn't sell well. I'd love to see them released here, instead of seeing those ridiculous eBay prices for the PS1 versions. I really wish I hadn't traded 2 in...

Mr. K wrote: »
    I didn't play any of the later ones, was the Yuber/Pesmerga plotline ever tied up?

Nope it hasn't been tied up yet. The series took a bit of a fall in quality after S2. S3 started great but fizzled out halfway through and the terrible pitched battle system meant the game lost it's epic feel. S4 isn't worth playing, a very poor game. S5 was a return to form for the series and is well worth playing. The first 5 hours are really slow but it hits you with a killer plot twist and the storyline from there is excellent. However it just doesn't have the cruel and dark streak of S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭davidtobin100

It's nothing to do with FF. It only got shoehorned into the ivalice alliance along with FF tactics as part of the new square enix corporate raping of the FF brand.

It is however a stonkingly good game.

Yea, it's definitely only tangently related to FF12 and Tactics (which I still can't get into!). Must get back to finishing VS off again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I used to hate FF on the psone when I was like 7 because I didnt have a clue what was going on. Good Times:D

Advertisement