Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaky Ford Focus?

Options
  • 07-01-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi - apologies for the silly question from a cailin :o , but have an 03 Focus, bought bout 7 months ago as my first car, and 2 weekends ago (being a particularly rainy weekend) I noticed that the floor on the passenger side was sopping wet. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what the problem might be, and what would be the best way to get it fixed (big job/ little job??)

Thanks a mill :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I had problems with a leaky sunroof in the past but it was a '91 and the cause was rusty recess (I'm sure this won't be your problem).

Maybe also a badly fitted windscreen (or not leaving time after fitment for the sealer to go off).

Bad body repair causing rubber seals arond the doors to not compress correctly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Check out the front light housing as there may be a crack where water is entering and then leaking out in to the footwell. I had this with an old mazda years back (thought it was at the back of the car). Small hole in the light fitting was filled with water which was then overflowing into the boot.

This may be the problem and if it is then draining the housing and filling the hole should resolve.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

There is a bad seal around the pollen filter. Very common thing to happen Fords in general. It is a very small job.

Here is a TSB relating to the focus and the pollen filter
    http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59205

They actually changed the design of the piece of plastic between the windscreen and bonnet to stop this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

aviendha wrote: »
    Hi - apologies for the silly question from a cailin :o , but have an 03 Focus, bought bout 7 months ago as my first car, and 2 weekends ago (being a particularly rainy weekend) I noticed that the floor on the passenger side was sopping wet. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what the problem might be, and what would be the best way to get it fixed (big job/ little job??)

Thanks a mill :confused:

Recent Fords have a small problem with a seal within the door panel. You may need to remove the panel, i believe its onle a few screws. Then yuoll see the door card, and that is sealed to the door. There is a chance a tiny hole might have open within that seal. Just get a tube of silicone, and rub it along it. I had similar problem with a mondeo. I spotted the little pin hole. You would also see a lot of water on the rubber door seal between door and car if this was the case. Hose it down and see can u see it. Of course, check all above options first, but its a good chance its the door card. Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Is the coolant/water level of the engine after dropping at all? If it is, chances are the heater matrix could be leaking.
    Also check for any rubber grommets in the floor of the car under the carpet that may have been pushed up after driving into a flood of water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I'd say seal on the bottom of the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

maidhc wrote: »
    There is a bad seal around the pollen filter. Very common thing to happen Fords in general. It is a very small job.

They actually changed the design of the piece of plastic between the windscreen and bonnet to stop this problem.

Sounds like its exactly what Maidhc said!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

Thanks a mill for all your suggestions.... I'll get the DIY kit out at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭AdrianC

Has this been happening repeatedly? About 12 months ago I parked my focus with two wheels on the curb, so car was at an angle, the front passenger well was flooded next morning. But in the 12 months following it never happened again, not even slight dampness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

maidhc wrote: »

This is excatly the problem.(i work in a ford dealer btw) Great info maidhc!

• Advertisement
Advertisement