Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus Bookstore

Options
  • 07-01-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

How does the Campus Bookstore compare price-wise with other shops?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think it's a bit more expensive than most. There were rumblings about it a while ago - go back and search some old threads and I'm sure you'll find something on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I always found that they were 10-25% dearer than shops in town, depending on the book. If a particular book was a core text I found the prices were increased on the upper end of the scale... I never bought anything there if I could source it anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

It's a rip off and the staff are rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

I did a comparative study on this with the campus bookshop while Education Officer and surprisingly enough it didn't actually compare too badly with outlets in town... While there were certainly instances of books costing more in the CB there were also instances where books were available in the CB for cheaper.

I was also shown invoices which detailed how much the books had cost the CB to buy and this didn't indicate that students were being ripped off. Depending on when you buy books wholesale they can (apparently) cost different amounts and thus result in different prices between outlets.

This could have changed now though, it's a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

Complete RIPPPPPP OFFFFF!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I've never found it too expensive. Whenever I compare prices with book shops in town, they're usually more or less the same. Maybe €1 or 2 difference, but that'd be spent getting in to town anyway. Maybe it's just the types of books I'm buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I think the campus book store only appears to be a rip off because books in general are a rip off.

Sometimes they don't order in the right amount of stock. Also it makes a big difference if other shops in town offer loyalty cards, better selection, availability, competitive pricing or a second hand section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I buy second-hand where possible, saved me a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

It depends on the amount of stock and how much in demand the book will be, for example I had the choice of getting an architecture book there, but there was only twenty in stock, I managed to get one of those, and it cost me €11.80, then when they had to order in more, the price had gone up by about €1.50. I'd buy larger books/core texts in town, or second hand if possible.
    Wheres the best place to source second hand texts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

depends.this year i found the prices are better than last year but abit annoying when they bundle books together...eg,3 chemistry books:organic/inorganic/physical chem,i mean,jaysus,who would pay 3 books for that about 150?!

honestly,if not in the case of makes life easier ,i wouldnt walk the shop at all,just go amazon get a perfect 2nd hand instead.

p/s:from where i came from,we student always get 10% discount on books...even the biggest Eason dont do this here...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭annemarie13

try the second hand bookstore whenever you can cause the campus bookstore is a complete rip off! i still need to get a book but its 100 euro! hello! i am a student!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I get mine on amazon, second hand. Unless its a ucd book or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭skydancer

imho,
    as already said - txt books are expensive anyway, and for most books the campus bookshop is no dearer than elsewhere. Don't forget with amazon etc you need to factor in postage costs. Also books published by UCD press (on quite a few reading lists) are on sale at a discounted price in the CB which is good. They will also order in any book for you and get in touch when it arrives. If they run out of stock it is because the uni doesn't give them storage space. Staff are also friendly.

skydancer wrote: »
    imho,
    as already said - txt books are expensive anyway, and for most books the campus bookshop is no dearer than elsewhere. Don't forget with amazon etc you need to factor in postage costs. Also books published by UCD press (on quite a few reading lists) are on sale at a discounted price in the CB which is good. They will also order in any book for you and get in touch when it arrives. If they run out of stock it is because the uni doesn't give them storage space. Staff are also friendly.

Do you work there by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭skydancer

nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

skydancer wrote: »
    imho,

Stop defending this place its a Rip off. Actually just to show how much of a rip off it is, buying from amazon with P&P included is still cheaper than buying here for the very large majority of books. Also with amazon you dont have to deal with the rudest staff of any retailer that i have ever withnessed. IF YOU BUY FROM/SUPPORT THIS PLACE YOU ARE NOT MY FRIEND :mad:
    and we know Skydancer is that old bald d4 rude peasant

yes i do have a beef with this place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Try Ebay. I saved a ****load on books using it.

Advertisement