Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative motherboard from Komplett

Options
  • 07-01-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I ordered this motherboard from Komplett.ie about 2 months ago:

here

It arrived dead and had to go back to be replaced. Unfortunatley it seems they're having problems getting the product back in stock and have advised that I choose another of similar price.

I'd like one with 2 PCI slots, either SLI or Crossfire compatible. (I know that it's either going to be one or the other). Was looking through their stuff online and I'm having problems determining which of them actually have 2 PCI express slots and which ones don't, and whether or not they can actually be used for 2 graphics cards at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I got this board recently for crossfire, love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

So if a motherboard had 2 pci express slots but doesn't specify SLI anywhere in the description or details then it should be ok for SLI or Crossfire?

I'm considering this one:

here

as it's almost exactly the same price as the one I ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This one would probably do: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335010

P35 based, so should support crossfire. P35 is currently the best price/performance Intel chipset out there, avoid earlier (965/975) chipsets if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Thanks for that. I'll have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Both Gigabyte & Asus mobo's linked above support crossfire, but the lanes are 16x and 4x. This means the first lane runs at full speed & the second lane runs at quarter speed. Crossfire is a huge expense for not much of a performance gain.
    The best performing crossfire mobo's are 8x and 8x when using both lanes, but these are the newer x38 chipset only.
    Crossfire isn't worth it IMHO, just get one good gpu.

• Advertisement
Advertisement