Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 520D Sport from UK - now or July 1st

Options
  • 07-01-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Lads
    Need a little help here. I know everyone is asking different questions about VRT etc but my query is model specific. I'm looking at bringing in a 06 520D Sport from the UK. To use an example, average price is around £23,500 for leather, automatic etc. Converted using xe.com is €31,500. The VRT is €13,852, totalling €45,352 with annual motor tax €590 (1901 - 2000cc). This compares to an average price on carzone.ie of approx €50,000.

However, if I waited until the last week of June to buy in the UK and assuming the same car at the same price at the same exchange rate (€31,500), what will be the VRT rate applicable on 1st Jul 2008 and what motor tax rate? Remember, it would be an automatic.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

I dont think waiting until July will save you a huge amount of money.

The 'new' (as of July 1st) VRT rate on the 520d Sport Auto will be 28% of OMSP as opposed to 30% at the moment.

The annual road tax will be €600 if you import after July 1st, as opposed to €539 if you import before the end of January. It'll be €590 from February 1st on.

I hope that helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

mvpr wrote: »
    I dont think waiting until July will save you a huge amount of money.

The 'new' (as of July 1st) VRT rate on the 520d Sport Auto will be 28% of OMSP as opposed to 30% at the moment.

The annual road tax will be €600 if you import after July 1st, as opposed to €539 if you import before the end of January. It'll be €590 from February 1st on.

I hope that helps...

Thought the 520D M Sport is only 136g/km which puts it in the 16% rate which would be 14% less than current rates???

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

28% of OMSP? The manual is going to be 16% (I think). Would there be that much of a difference between manual and automatic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

28% of OMSP? The manual is going to be 16% (I think). Would there be that much of a difference between manual and automatic?

the difference is that not all 520d's have EfficientDynamics.

The ones without it have 163 bhp, the ones with EfficientDynamics have 177 bhp.

The entire 5 series range got EfficientDynamics in April, bar the 520d which only recently got them.

A 520d with EfficientDynamics is 20% VRT for the Auto, and 16% for the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

E92 wrote: »

The entire 5 series range got EfficientDynamics in April, bar the 520d which only recently got them.

didnt know that they were 177bhp now! interesting. Was plannning on importing but if I have to buy a nearly new one, there may be little saving if the dealers reduce the prices as we hope.

• Advertisement

So only import a fairly new 520D after July 1st and anything older before ???? Getting slightly confused at this stage.

Buy after July. With new 520ds going down by as much as €10k, that will have to force the price of used ones down a lot as well.

If a non EfficientDynamics model with an Automatic gearbox is in the 28% VRT, that is still 2% less than now, so it will still be cheaper, but the EfficientDynamics models attract 16% VRT for the manual, and 20% for the Auto. The facelifted 520d's may have EfficientDynamics(any 2008 one should definately have it), the pre facelift models i.e. the pre April 07 models definately DON'T have it.

The only way I know to tell if a facelifted model with an Automatic gearbox has EfficientDynamics is to check the owners manual. The CO2 for the EfficientDynamics 520d is 136 g/km for the manual, and 149 g/km for the Auto, 158 g/km for the non EfficientDynamics 520d manual(24% VRT), and I don't know what the figure for the Auto was, but if it is in the 28% VRT band, then it must be somewhere between 171 and 190 g/km.

The manual is easier, the manual has auto stop/start so it will cut out automatically if you're in traffic. And the manuals with EfficientDynamics also have an optimum gear indicator, in between the speedo and the rev counter, it will flash a number, telling you what gear you should be in.

Buy after July. With new 520ds going down by as much as €10k, that will have to force the price of used ones down a lot as well.

The only way I know to tell if a facelifted model with an Automatic gearbox has EfficientDynamics is to check the owners manual.

E92
    Thanks for the very informative response but if you can't tell if a model has EfficientDynamics or not, how would Revenue know when you apply to pay the VRT?

When they're given the chassis number/VIN number for the car they'll know. Chassis numbers etc. would usually change when a model gets a technical update. I don't know what they changed it to. The V5 registration document in the UK will contain the CO2 data, as well as the reg, make model and other important info about the car. It is mandatory for any UK car to have a V5 inside in it. You shouold be able to tell from that.

Extrenally, 520ds, like the new EfficientDynamics(ED) 3 series models, are impossible to distinguish from those without. When the other BMWs with EfficientDynamics got them it was part of a facelift of the car so you would know just be looking at them.

If you were to consider a 525d, or any other 5 series, you'd know straight away whether ED is fitted or not.

The 525d with ED is the same on VRT as a 520d without ED. Actually any Auto 6 cylinder 5 series (i.e. 523i-535d inclusive)with is in the same VRT as an Auto 520d without ED.

Advertisement