Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artane

Options
  • 07-01-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are looking around for a house to buy and we were thinking maybe Artane, West Park Avenue to be precise but we don't know the area well. Would anyone have any thoughts or comments about the area? For example, transport to city center, schools, amenities, surrounding areas, people there in general etc etc. We are a youngish (26,27) couple, first time buyers looking to get onto the property ladder so any other areas that you think would suit us would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I used to live over that direction years ago and some parts of it were rough, particularly around the shopping centre at night but other parts were great. Might be also worth posting on the Dublin City forum

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's not too bad an area, just a generic North Dublin suburb, there's a fair few primary and secondary schools around. You are within easy driving distance of both Artane Shopping Centre and Clarehall SC. There's always buses on the Malahide road which is a short walk away. As for the surronding area, Edenmore has a lot of teenagers so expect teenage behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AsianDub wrote: »
    West Park Avenue
    Where is this? I can't find it on a map or on google. Do you mean the Park in Beaumont Woods?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think it's just off the Ardlea Road.

Very good location if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I grew up there and as mentioned there is everything in the area. No idea where West Park Avenue is, I would be wary saying it is in Artane. Many people don't consider the area, beyond the roundabout and over the Malahide road, Artane even though it has been called so for a long time. If it is there it is a rougher area being closer to Edenmore (technically an estate in Raheny but very rough) and Harmonstown.

You could also be looking at Coolock that has roads called "Park". Generally rough but some of my closest friends are from there too.

There aren't really any great restaurants in the area but there are close by and town is close enough. Pubs are generally quite 5 in the area including a night club type one. Cinema close and one of the best Xtravisions in the country as a high up lives close by. A hospital and college close by help keep prices up in the area for resale or investment. A good sports hall is near one of the 4 close by shopping centres. There is also a indoor market at the weekends and a good wholesale type butchers just by it. The more I think about it it is actually a very good area when it comes to services wasted on the generally older population:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Kipperhell wrote: »
    I grew up there and as mentioned there is everything in the area. No idea where West Park Avenue is, I would be wary saying it is in Artane. Many people don't consider the area, beyond the roundabout and over the Malahide road, Artane even though it has been called so for a long time. If it is there it is a rougher area being closer to Edenmore (technically an estate in Raheny but very rough) and Harmonstown.

I think it's fair to say that West Park Avenue is in Artane............but barely.
    You could easily call in Coolock or Harmonstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Hey all,

Had been away for a few days. Thanks for all the advice. Have been searching around and yeah looks like Westpark Ave. is just about in Artane but not really. Here is the house and a map www.daft.ie/1239747 Just looking at house prices in Artane and some hit €500K and over where this house is only €380K so I guess the price may indicate its proximity to Coolock or Harmonstown as opposed to Artane. You won't get much better though for €380K for a house like that in Dublin in my opinion so we'll see. Somewhere more closer into Artane would be nice but don't think the budget would stretch that far.

We also have been looking into the East Wall. I know its had a bad rep over the years but the regeneration of the area has been an interest to us for a while now. Remember Ringsend and the Docklands years ago and look at it now. I remember apartments selling for around €250K and now for €400K and upwards so wondering if the same will happen to the East Wall, could be a good investment.

If anyone has any thoughts they would be welcomed.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Artane is a nice area imo.
    This is an end of terrace house which is good but what if this is the local meeting points for kids and they often sit on the wall. It can happen on end of terrace houses.
    It mightn't bother you but maybe take a drive around some weekend night.

You’re less than 10 minutes walk to Killester Dart Station and the Malahide Road is very well served by buses.

By the way, it seems this house has been reduced from 450k to 380k so maybe you can bargain even more.
    It was the second link in a google search as even though I lived in Artane (Thorndale area) I couldn’t figure out where West Park Avenue was.

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?p=41659&sid=2b5ba6d8413089df5b2dd1d15eefeec7

It’s a great website too!

East Wall will be a great area in a few years but it's far from that now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Hi mate,

I grew up around artane/coolock and am still living around there, i'm hopng to buy a house beside beumount hospital in the next few weeks , Coolock is not as bad as it's reputation places like Lorcan and Ballyshannon road are very quite these days , you should have no problem finding a decent , well priced house in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Coolock only starts to get bad once you go North of the Oscar Traynor road.

I live about 10 minutes away from this house, there really aren't any huge issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

AsianDub wrote: »
    I remember apartments selling for around €250K and now for €400K and upwards so wondering if the same will happen to the East Wall, could be a good investment.

Thanks

I think you should forget about any capital growth for the next two years. In addition, a lot of the growth that you think will happen in east wall has already happened. It just came off a lower base (doesn't have the D4 address)

Having looked at the photos of 10a West Park Avenue a couple of things come to mind. 1. Is the attic room one of the bedrooms because the eaves height looks too low for it to be legally called that. While the estate agent blurb suggests it's not counted as one of the bedrooms, if it is you may find that you are later only able to sell it as a two-bed with converted attic.
    2. The finish in the bathroom looks cheap and the bath looks like it might be very awkward to shower in
    3. There doesn't appear to be any flooring in the kitchen.

Use all of the above to negotiate a lower purchase price!!
    Good luck with it whatever you decide to do

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be aware that lots of new apartments will be built in the North Docklands and that is likely to keep supply fed - therefore no growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Thanks for all the feedback lads, think we're going to hold off for a bit and rent first even though its really hard at the mo to get somewhere decent at a reasonable price. Dead money I know. The market is just too unpredictable at the moment. Still interested in Artane as some parts are very nice with good amenities and transport so will keep looking.

All the best

Advertisement