Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP - Clean OEM Install

• 07-01-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm going to set up a new laptop for somebody today, it's from Dell with a new version of XP home that came with it (which will be pre-installed with a load of dell/Norton etc crap on it).

Anyway, I'm just wondering is it possible to use a clean install CD of XP Home OEM (not from Dell) and use the product key that came with the new Dell. So basically all I'm doing is a clean install of XP, and using what is a legit key to basically get rid of all the crap that's bundled with the Dell install. Will it activate without a problem and is there a risk of running into problems down the line (updates etc?). Can't see why if I'm using a legit key?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

As far as I know the OEM version will do a BIOS check to make sure that it is being installed on a certain machine. For example a Toshiba OEM CD will only install on a Toshiba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What if it's a generic XP Home OEM CD? as in, not from any manufacturer, but installs it as an OEM?

I've just reinstalled XP home and now when I start up it asks me which operating system to pick and gives me 28 seconds to choose.

My choices are:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    and
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

:(

I definitely deleted the partition with XP home already installed before installing the fresh one, and it formatted the only partition left fully before installing the new one.

Is there any way to remove the one I don't click so I don't have to press enter/add an extra 28 seconds with each boot?

Any feedback appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try going to Start->Run->msconfig.exe and then to the BOOT.INI tab, click 'Check All Boot Paths' and see if that works.

Got it sorted, thanks!

• Advertisement

By the way, I did that Ruu, but it then meant I was using a "modified" start-up process, and not the normal one, so what I did was go to settings in my computer>system properties>advanced tab>startup+recovery, click settings and then click to edit the boot ini file and delete the 2nd line under operating systems :)

Advertisement