Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commuting advice

Options
  • 07-01-2008 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi i will be commuting to dublin every day from dundalk and getting train to pearse station. i will be working about 3km away from pearse station (portobello) and was thinking of cycling. were could i leave the bike at the evenings when i go home. or any suggestions about what type of bike to get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If it's only 3km, you could get a crappy beater bike, that is, just some run down bike that function correctly. If you are going to be leaving it locked up overnight at pearse station, you don't want a bike you love.

Try and get a bike with no gears perhaps, nothing complicated on it, so it will be a bit less vulnerable to random abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Something very cheap and second hand, you can lock it outside pearse st. garda statio if my memory serves me. that said, 3K will take 25 mins to walk, locking and unlocking a bike will take 5 mins, putting on & taking off waterproof trousers will take 5 mins, and the bike ride will take 5-10 mins. personally i'd walk it.

Good luck with it though, I'm working on getting fit enough for a 12k ride into town....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

^i really think thats worst case scenario.. The cycle will take maybe 10 mins. Locking and unlocking (assuming 2 locks cos your leaving it over night) would take about a minute, two minutes max, and water proofs arent necessary everyday but if they are, seeing as its a short cycle and you wont sweat buckets, you can just put on the trousers over your work trousers, again maybe 2 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Get a fold up and bring it on the train with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Consider getting off at Connolly instead of Pearse. There are indoor bike-locking facilities there. There is also a kind of bike shed at Grand Canal Dock.

(Incidentally, what happened to the lockable shed outside Pearse?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

(Incidentally, what happened to the lockable shed outside Pearse?)
    As far as I know, it is still there. Enquire at the ticket desk.

Alternatively get a 44/a/b/a or 48a bus to Charlemont Street from outside Pearse Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

you could park your bike in Trinity? They have quite a few bike stands there.

Having said that, I used to walk from TCD to Portabello quite often. It took 15-20 minutes. By the time you unlovck a bike, put warm/dry gear on, negociate traffic etc it might be just as quick to walk as to cycle?

Advertisement