Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Venables offered job according 2Newstalk

• 07-01-2008 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

If true I will give him the chance to prove himself once FAI have offered him only an initial 2 year largely incentive/results based contract.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If true I will give him the chance to prove himself once FAI have offered him only an initial 2 year largely incentive/results based contract.

No chance should be given. It's a disaster in the making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Don't know why they dragged out the inevitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's a disaster in the making.

As the FAI are involved, it's definately gonna happen so! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

This was on Today FM premiership live weeks ago :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

It looks like Venebles will be offered the job today. The Bulgaria job, that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I was just thinking today, what is the point in the FAI giving long contracts to unproven (at international level) managers. It's not as if big clubs will be along to snap them up, yet we gave Staunton 4 years, extended McCarthy's just befre he was sacked and Kerr also had to be paid off. All those pay offs would have gotten one very good manager in.

Why not, as said above, give them one qualifying campaign, and take it from there, even if they are in a long contract, if a big club comes calling they will leave, and the compensation is usually a pittance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

astrofool wrote: »
    I was just thinking today, what is the point in the FAI giving long contracts to unproven (at international level) managers. It's not as if big clubs will be along to snap them up, yet we gave Staunton 4 years, extended McCarthy's just befre he was sacked and Kerr also had to be paid off. All those pay offs would have gotten one very good manager in.

Why not, as said above, give them one qualifying campaign, and take it from there, even if they are in a long contract, if a big club comes calling they will leave, and the compensation is usually a pittance.

Didnt McCarthy leave and didnt Kerr's run out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    It looks like Venebles will be offered the job today. The Bulgaria job, that is.

Was Dimitar Penev sacked/resigned from the post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The point is simple really. Look at McLeish for Scotland. If they do well, then if a big club comes calling, the FAI would get paid off. And since they are only after money, and actually think they are picking a good manager, this philosophy makes sense. However, now maybe they realise they are too stupid to pick someone half decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

Juan Pablo wrote: »

Ive been scrambling around trying to get betting on this . . . anyone know where there is a market for it??

its happening tomorow ive been told

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

astrofool wrote: »

Don't remember the details of McCarthy (didn't think he was paid off). Kerr's contract ran out AFAIK, so no pay off there either.

As for Stan, I know Michael Kennedy was involved in his departure, I would not be surprised if he was involved in the drafting of the initial contract, hence the 4 year deal.

I disagree that the FAI are "only after money" they are not that blinkered or stupid tbh. Of course they will take the money, and they need it, but the money comes through success and you simply cannot have success without a decent manager in place, no matter what the players, even they realise that.

Stan was a punt that did not work. If we had qualified for the EC, we would be singing his praises at the moment. Look at the sh1te we played under Charlton, and yet look at the results!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

but it was effective ****e! we stifled other teams and our long-ball game posed problems under Jack...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

but it was effective ****e! we stifled other teams and our long-ball game posed problems under Jack...

That's my point. It worked. People were bemoaning Stans lack of technical ability, and yet, if we had qualified, he would have been a great 'ol man...

The public are fickle. They will file out in their droves when a team reaches the last 8/16 of the WC/EC etc... and yet will fail to see the wood for the proverbial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You could have put Stan in charge of Brazil and he'd fail to qualify. Hell, he'd probably have failed to qualify with Austria and Switzerland. The manager's we have hired are the least likely to go on to big clubs, hence we shouldn't really need to keep them on a contract longer than one campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

El Tel says not only is he not taking charge, he has'nt been interviewed.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mike65 wrote: »
    El Tel says not only is he not taking charge, he has'nt been interviewed.

Mike.

really? any source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

The plot thickens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the job is dalgleish's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Helix wrote: »
    the job is dalgleish's

Good God... even Stan has more of a persona than him!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Ah Whiskeyman, I know you might be feeling a bit upset, but there is nothing that can condone what you just said there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Why hasn't more noise not been made about Hoddle.

Head and shoulders above candidates like Daglish, Venables, Aldo, Brady etc.

Alot of ex-pros like Ince and Shearer have said that he was the best coach they worked under, that his planning and preparation was meticulous.

I reckon we'd stand a good chance of getting him, as he still seems to be a bit of a leper for Premiership teams to touch, and he couldn't have been on mega money at Wolves.

I think he'd have a hunger to prove some of his critics, and the English FA, wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

hoddle comes with too much baggage imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Houllier has been cut in price from 16/1 to 4/1 by Powers in the last 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Big Mick says he wants the job back :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sizzler wrote: »
    Big Mick says he wants the job back :eek:

I'd have him back over Venables, Hoddle et al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Helix wrote: »
    the job is dalgleish's

On several occasions in the last 2 odd months the job has been rumoured to have been given to Dalglish/Souness/Tel/me/my granny. The amount of rumour as to who has been given the job is something else, so I wont believe a thing until i see it.

As for Mick do we really want another living breathing piece of FAI disorganisation running the operation? Whether the awful planning in 2002 was his fault or that of the FAI may be unclear, however he did little to alleviate it and pretty much towed the party line and got on with it. No thanks.

tbh we missed the boat re more suitable candidates like Troussier and Hodgson. The FAI is either waiting on Tel to call them back (though iirc he claims he hasnt even been contacted) or else are waiting for some manager to get the sack and grab him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Maureen's still outa the job...............:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

where do newstalk get this ****,they said yesterday morning that venables had been offered the job,i checked the other news and they all said he was in for the bulgaria job,this morning newstalk say he has been offered the bulgaria job,i think they are off the ball no pun intended :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Ken Early spoke to Venables before last night's Off The Ball and he said the FAI haven't spoken to him at all. Venables declined to speak on air though. We live in hope

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

I would be happy with Dalglish, I think he would be a good man for the job.
    It would sicken me if El Tel got the job, he's a conman.
    Who said Dalglish doesn't have a personality....do they even know who they are talking about???
    The main outstanding canditate for the job is Gerard Houllier, his achievments show that he is a great manager...and Ireland need someone to organise everything.

Advertisement