Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When to take the car out of neutral at traffic lights?

Options
  • 07-01-2008 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

Hi

Been driving a while now and am doing pretty well. However I have a query with respect to starting when the car has come to a complete halt at traffic lights.

Situation is, lights are red and I am stopped, the handbrake is on and the car is in neutral. I see the other traffic lights go amber and hence know it will turn red (and mine green) in a few seconds. Should I

1. put the car in 1st gear, my feet on the clutch and accelerator at biting point ready to take the hand brake off and move
    2. or should I keep the car in neutral and not make a move to put the car into 1st until my light turns green?
    3. Something else??

Driving day to day I obey 1. but just wondering what I should do with a test situation in mind.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

As far as i know, during the test, if you expect to be stopped for more than a few seconds you need to apply the handbrake. Its impractical to apply it for anything less.
    EDIT Sorry I misread,
    You can prepare to start while the lights are changing but dont misread them. The instructors dont like the car being held on the clutch for too long

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Im reckoning that you're the 1st car at the lights, then stick with what you do on a day-to-day basis, it is correct. Naturally, while you are waiting for the lights to change, you are performing your observational checks, and as you put the car into gear, you have another check around to see that everything is kosher.
    If you're doing the test in an unfamiliar area, be wary of light sequences - altho you might be 1st in the queue, and the opposing lights have begun to turn amber, it might not always follow that you're next.. there could be filter lights or pedestrian lights in the sequence before you. It is a natural instinct to see a green light and think "it must be for me" - just be sure it is before you move.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

good stuff lads, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Yeah I was told by my instructor before i did my test in september that if you are the first or 2nd car it's ok to be in gear and ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If you are near the front then you can put it in gear with the clutch fully depressed, it is probably a good idea if only because it means you have less to do when you are free to go. However do not disengage the hand brake or get the biting point before you are ready to go, if the instructor feels you straining the car against the hand brake it will be a mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I did my test a few years ago in Churchtown and got lots of pretests beforehand. One thing the instructor told me was that you don't need to use the handbrake anymore in town traffic. This went against everything I was taught initially but he said it was an old fashioned method of driving, slowed down the flow of traffic as you take off from lights much slower and doesn't suit driving in towns/cities.

I didn't use my handbrake during my test if I was the 1st or 2nd car at lights; just put it into 1st and put my foot on the brake and I passed no problem.

If you are behind the 2nd car then you apply the brake if only to prevent you hitting the car infront if you are rear ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

I didn't use my handbrake during my test if I was the 1st or 2nd car at lights; just put it into 1st and put my foot on the brake and I passed no problem.

If you are behind the 2nd car then you apply the brake if only to prevent you hitting the car infront if you are rear ended.

If you are 1st in line at traffic lights, no handbrake applied and get hit from behind you could be shunted into the junction directly in the path of a speeding vehicle.

3rd or further back in line, would be less serious consequences from being shunted.

Just because a person passed the test does not make everything they did in that test correct. Examiner might be in a good mood, not mark every fault. ! Plus, conditions can never be exactly the same for each test.

According to the marking rules a person should be marked for not using the handbrake if they are stopped for any length of time.

See:- Marking Guidelines - Vehicle Controls
    and in particular
    Handbrake: not applied as appropriate on an incline, or during a prolonged stop in traffic, or being applied before the vehicle has come to a halt, or inadequate application, or attempting to drive while the handbrake is still engaged.

All driving instructors should know these guidelines - otherwise how can they properly prepare their pupils for the test - or for a lifetime of safe driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just wondering J R would the candidate be penalised for releasing the park brake and reapplying it again without moving. I'm thinking about the scenario which we all find ourselves in from time to time at unfamiliar lights where we incorrectly think it's our turn next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

I did my test a few years ago in Churchtown and got lots of pretests beforehand. One thing the instructor told me was that you don't need to use the handbrake anymore in town traffic. This went against everything I was taught initially but he said it was an old fashioned method of driving,

As you said that was a few years ago and this is now. I think that way is the old fashioned way of driving and we don't do that anymore. I would say you should always use your handbrake when stopped for more than a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

would the candidate be penalised for releasing the park brake and reapplying it again without moving.

Perhaps, because a good driver will first rev the engine, find the holding point before releasing the handbrake.

Back to
    Originally Posted by How Strange
    One thing the instructor told me was that you don't need to use the handbrake anymore in town traffic...... .....he said it was an old fashioned method of driving, slowed down the flow of traffic as you take off from lights much slower and doesn't suit driving in towns/cities..

The sooner the new regulations regarding the compulsory testing of instructors by the Government come into effect the better.

His instructor has a few very wrong and one potentially dangerous misconception. First, you NEVER compromise safety for whatever reason, slowing down traffic, whatever.

And secondly any competent driver can set the engine power (rev), find the holding point release the handbrake and drive off safely, be in more control of the car and be just as quick as someone sitting with their foot on the brake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement