Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord vs VW Passat

Options
  • 07-01-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Ive heard when Honda cars go bad the parts are very expensive.
    Im thinking of getting a 1998 ish Accord with circa 100K miles.
    Should I get a VW Passat 1.9 TDI instead - approx same mileage year circa 2000.

Anyone know what the tax will be for those two puppies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What engine has the Accord got?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

worded wrote: »

Well, these are cars, not puppies but I think simply that both cars can be described as being expensive when broken so usual rules apply, get it well checked out by someone who knows them.

I'd imagine the Accord will be better value and they will tend to have less mileage than an equivalent diesel car. Unless you need it for high mileage yourself in which case the passat diesel wins.

Either way, if repairs are a problem, don't empty the coffers on purchase price just in case something happens.

Thought about a mazda 626? Great value and reliability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If considering an Accord, have a look at the Coupe. I imported a 1998 2.0i ES from the UK. It was fully loaded, heated leather, climate control, cruise, electric adjusting seats, heated electric mirrors etc. So much so that the only option left when new was front fog lights. They're quite cheap now, and the VRT was quite low. Plenty of em in the UK.

Common parts are not expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Chalk and cheese, they are both great cars, depends on mileage your going to be doing etc. The accord is a much better driving experiance than the heavy handling on the passat, which is a stright line mile muncher, the accord esp with the 1.8 Vtec engine is very good from a tax, performance and economy point of view think 25 - 35 mpg Vs 45 - 50mpg on the passat.

I'd prefer the accord as I recently had one for over two years, and ran up to 100k with nothing going wrong. its a totally different driving exp to the passat which is a bit of a barge IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I would get the accord (coupe ideally).. It looks way better than the passat..

Passat is an ignorant looking car imo..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I reckon the price of a 1999/2000 Passat TDi is going to be more than that of a 1998 Accord. So if you are buying the Accord for a fraction of the price of the Passat then put some of the savings away for repairs if the Honda needs them.

I had one of those Accords and it never gave me any bother after 100k miles. And Passats can break too, VW parts are far from cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

Honda Accord all the way - the most reliable car i ever owned - the engine is bullet proof

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Im looking at a Honda Accord 1.8 LS

What will the tax be on her now and with the new tax rates in the summer?
    She has 140 miles - what are these cars good for - if well looked after?

If you KNOW it's been services regularly and never dogged- 400k?? I work with a guy with a '92 with 212k on it- burns a little oild but he drives the nuts off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

New tax system only applies to new cars and imports registered from 1st July.

I presume you mean 140k miles?

Like any high mileage car judge it on it's current condition. Have a mechanic check it out, he should be checking things like brakes, clutch, timing belt, suspension, cat converter, etc which can all wear out on a car of that mileage. If they need replacing then you could be looking at a hefty bill, if these parts have been replaced recently I would expect the seller to produce receipts to prove so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

jap car all the way. although much different i drive an 07 accord 2.0
    fantastic drive, great handling, honda have a great rep for engines, not just in cars, boats, quads, etc.

having said that , fsh, it should be easy to get one with decent enough mileage. the accord would drive better than the passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭reitoei

Those Accord coupes have a lovely shape, especially the later 2000 ones. They have a similar arse to the NSX :)

You don't see many of them around, so they're pretty distinctive. You might have to go to the UK or a JDM dealer to get one though.

The trim levels are phenomenal on some of them, as mentioned previously.

Some nice examples on eBay UK, like this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Accord-2-0I-ES-Coupe-One-Owner_W0QQitemZ200131185591QQihZ010QQcategoryZ18206QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Crazy price for a 1998 example though?

Yeah, works out at just over 4,000 euro. By the time you've VRT'd and taxed it, you'd be looking at the guts of 6 grand (correct me if I'm wrong) to get it on the road here. Lot of money for a 10 year old car.

If you're getting the Coupe it has to have the spoiler. It doesn't look right without it.

Two years ago I landed a 2.0i ES Coupe all in for €4,700 incl the ferry and VRT. It had 47k miles on the clock, FSH (incl timing belt) and was in immaculate condition.

A 2000 should cost now what my 1998 did back then, so if you were to get a 1998 now it should be under €4k all in.

@cantdecide, that one on adverts is the old model, low spec nylon interior, horrible 2.0 no-vtec engine. The seller got smart when I asked what colour was it originally (he was looking for €4k for it on another thread).

Pic of the one I brought in:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Orange69 wrote: »
    Passat is an ignorant looking car imo...

What a great point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

cheers! ;)

Phoned up and "haggled for the gourd" re Life of Brian

With no guarantee 2.6K sterling.
    Still too much me thinks.

• Advertisement

£2,500 should get you a '00. (I paid £2,600 and a friend bought one after seeing mine. He paid £2,500 but got slightly higher mileage, 62K iirc)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

reitoei wrote: »

It's a 3 litre, if this would put anyone off.

Not your ornery onager

About 40% of UK stock are 3.0 litre. The only differences are that *all* 3.0s are automatic, and they all have traction control (which no 2.0s have). And they're slightly harder to service as the 3.0 V6 fills the enigine bay, whereas the 2.0 I4 leaves lots of space and is quite easy to work on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

No one is going to buy a 3.0 litre car from you when you try to sell it in this country. Bear that in mind.

The 3.0 would only be worth considering if it was going to be driven into the ground. It would be hard to sell alright.

Advertisement