Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new TV Help?

Options
  • 07-01-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I wanna a new TV, was thinking of going for a lovely 50 inch Samsung plasma but then someone mentioned 1080 p or something, which I dont think it has.

Does 1080 p or whatever does that only come with LCD's. I dont fancy a LCD is it true that they come with an "acceptable" number of dead pixels etc..

Wanna keep the TV for at least five years so what spec do I need for Blue ray, Sky HD etc...

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You can get 1080p plasmas also. Panasonic PY70 series for example. Maybe Pioneer or LG too. Hitachi also have a 50" 1080p plasma which looks nice, though dunno about longevity.

Personally, I'm awaiting delivery of a Panasonic 42" PY70 series. Hope it's as good as reports suggest!

LCD's can suffer from dead pixels, and a few dead pixels is considered normal. They may not be dead/stuck on purchase though, but develop after a while. Generally though, on a HD panel, you'd not really notice the dead pixels unless close to screen or if the pixel is stuck on a bright colour.

Plasma is not without its flaws too, particularly "burn in" where static images can be burned onto the screen permanently, though it seems that current plasmas don't suffer as much.

Blu Ray etc would all work on just a 786/720p "HD Ready" screen, though I'm presuming you want to go full HD with 1080p.

THere seems to be a new version of HDMI called v1.3 which seemingly can allow for better colour reproduction, though the source device would need to be HDMI v1.3 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I could half understand it if you accidentally hit it while using a Wii or something similar, but a stick? What the hell were you at? :confused:

Anyway, while I sympathize with your predicament, you have touched on an area that I've started to wonder about too. LCD Repair. Is there actually such a thing?

I was considering purchasing one of these & was speaking to a local dealer about that very issue. He basically told me that Philips seem to have the best repair network in Ireland but that in a high majority of cases they just replace them if within warranty. Either way they always have to be sent away.

Straight away, I see the hassle associated with that if the event ever arose.

So where does that leave the person whose TV is out of warranty when a fault occurs?

Now, while it has long been accepted that items such as kettles, toasters, & even microwaves have become disposable items in so far as, if they break? turf them out & buy a new one. Does this mean that LCD TV's costing anything from €600 to €2000 + are destined to fall into this category too :eek:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

anyone stock these or now when there in then?

or best place to find the best price on anyone of the below:

Panasonic TH-42PY70

Panasonic TH-50PZ700

Panasonic TH-42PZ700

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

did you check out the TV on ibood today. A full 1080p HD 47" Sanyo TV for 1300.
    https://www.ibood.com/site/eu/iboodSpecs.php

Advertisement