Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 250W POI's Not Working ..HELP !

Options
  • 07-01-2008 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I have a Garmin 250W. The POI functionality dosen't seem to be enabled. When I press 'Goto' there is no POI icon. (There are 9 icons, but no POI). When I plug into my computer I see a POI folder with a number of Cyclops speed cameras files in it, e.g France, Benelux, UK, etc. but I can't access these from the unit.
    Maps are NT2008. Software is Ver. 2.7
    Anyone know what I need to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Benolam

Panic over, I got it working OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

What was the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Benolam

Language settings. If you select 'American English' the icon is labeled 'Points of Interest'. If you select 'British English' the same icon is labeled 'Food, Hotels.......

Now I have another problem. The Elevation at my home, or any other fixed location, can vary by up to 20m. Sometimes it is 70m while a few minutes later it can show as 50m. Northings and Eastings remain constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

hmm.... sounds like that scene from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy where Arthur and Ford Prefect were at the seafront in Brighton - the sea was flat calm and the buildings waved up and down. However Normality was soon resumed and "anything else you can't handle is your own problem"......:D

db.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Benolam wrote: »
    Now I have another problem. The Elevation at my home, or any other fixed location, can vary by up to 20m. Sometimes it is 70m while a few minutes later it can show as 50m. Northings and Eastings remain constant.

Elevation, when calculated by a GPS receiver, is only an approximation (it's called GPS derived elevation) and is influenced by a number of factors, including:
    How close you are to the center of the earth (the earth isn't perfectly spherical!)
    Elevation margin for error - which is in the region of 20-30 metres. GPS (consumer) technology is designed primarily for horizontal calculation, where the margin of error is closer to 10 metres.

Failing the above explanations, seek higher ground... Quickly.. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement