Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query

Options
  • 07-01-2008 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

If you have a number of PM's from a specific moderator whom you believe to be acting out of personal motivations rather than in the spirit of charters/boards.ie etc is it totally out of order to publish them for all to see just how daft said mod is being or just direct them to the Admins?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Send them to a smod or admin. Making private messages public is very frowned upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Get permission from said mod if you wish to post them publically or contact Cat Mod, S-mod or Admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get touch with a SuperMod. One of them should be along soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well you can publish, but once you do so you kinda loose the right to go to the admins. Best place for this is in the helpdesk forum, or via pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Send them on to the CMod. I think I can guess which one it'll be judging from a quick glance at your history. The CMod for that section is quite active and reasonable. I'd recommend that as the best way forward.
    Unless it's me and my PM's. (a) I stand by my name-calling, (b) I really did do yore ma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Karoma wrote: »
    Send them on to the CMod. I think I can guess which one it'll be judging from a quick glance at your history. The CMod for that section is quite active and reasonable. I'd recommend that as the best way forward.
    Unless it's me and my PM's. (a) I stand by my name-calling, (b) I really did do yore ma.

Thats alright Karoma ... at least you're consistant ;)

I've sent them on to the relevant Cmod. Cheers.

Karoma wrote: »

I don't think its the section you're thinking of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Should a moderators PMs really be private ? I know moderators are users too and send normal PMs just like anyone else and these should be private, but should users not be free to post up PMs received in a moderating capacity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

stevenmu wrote: »
    Should a moderators PMs really be private ? I know moderators are users too and send normal PMs just like anyone else and these should be private, but should users not be free to post up PMs received in a moderating capacity ?

Sounds fair enough to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Interesting idea. I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Transparancy in the system eh? Sounds like democracy to me and this ain't no democracy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No I dont agree with that all. Private means private and thats the way it should stay. Why not just call them MMs so - mod messages.

There are times when it is necessary for others (Cmod, Smod admin etc) to see the contents of PMs but that content should never be put in the public domain unless both parties were in full agreement to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

No real hard and fast rule tbh. I don't remember any PM's being made public being frowned upon (but I am open to correction) publish and be damned tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

muffler wrote: »
    No I dont agree with that all. Private means private and thats the way it should stay. Why not just call them MMs so - mod messages.

There are times when it is necessary for others (Cmod, Smod admin etc) to see the contents of PMs but that content should never be put in the public domain unless both parties were in full agreement to it.

Bit of a contradiction tbh. If it's private, it's private (not semi-private).

I remember quite a few PM's being published here without apparent consent of both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I've sent them on to the relevant Cmod. Cheers.
    If this is what I think its about, you have NOT sent them on to the relevant Cmod, who is well aware of the situation. If its a different issue, I would think that the PMs should not be aired in public without the Mod in question's consent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I dunno, I think when a mod sends a mod-style PM, they are really acting on behalf of boards and not themselves. A mod should be able to stand over any mod-type messages sent via PM. I agree that it's totally different when someone who happens to be a mod sends a private message, they should be kept private, but any pm's I send in relation to the forum I mod are not necessarily private and I'd have no problem with them being published. It gives rise to the scenario that a mod can act the dick over pm, knowing that they can't be published.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I've often seen admins telling us not to send anything via PM that we wouldn't want to see published.

I've never really had a problem with PM's I've sent in a mod capacity being published, because I've never put anything in them that would be classed as insulting or anything similar.

I don't see a problem with the standard 'you are banned for...' or 'please stop pissing people off' type PM being made public. Anything else should really remain private though.

Edit: OP, the following is a list of the Cmods and their categories:

• Arts - LoLth
    • Films - Karl Hungus
    • Television - basquille, Bond-007, Mr E,
    • Biz - WhiteWashMan
    • Edu - çrash_000
    • Games - amp
    • Consoles - amp
    • Music - Lucutus, Karl Hungus
    • Rec - WhiteWashMan ( AKA the big bollix) [Sub Forum - Travel - BuffyBot] [Sub Forum - Motors - kbannon, unkel,]
    • Region - Dub13
    • Sci - Simu
    • Social - oscarBravo [Sub Forum - Religion & Spirituality - Asiaprod]
    • Sports - RuggieBear
    • Tech - MiCr0 [Sub forum Home entertainment - Spankeh, The Ritz] [Sub Forum - Cable / Digital TV - icdg, watty, byte,]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I really think we need an infraction type PM for when we are banning tbh, or doing any other kind of modding.

The infraction system is brilliant, and I'd have no problem someone "publishing" the pm they received after getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Just infract / warn someone when you ban them and put the ban message in the infraction PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Terry, I'm hurt you left the Food&Drink Subforum out of the Rec Cat.

Truly I am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd actually agree with that. That is, if messages are sent in a moderating capacity. ;)

Asiaprod wrote: »
    If this is what I think its about, you have NOT sent them on to the relevant Cmod, who is well aware of the situation. If its a different issue, I would think that the PMs should not be aired in public without the Mod in question's consent

Considering the tone of that, if I were to send anything to you Asia how could I expect fair analysis?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Terry wrote: »

• Arts - LoLth
    • Films - Karl Hungus
    • Biz - WhiteWashMan
    • Edu - çrash_000
    • Games - amp
    • Consoles - amp
    • Music - Lucutus, Karl Hungus
    • Rec - WhiteWashMan ( AKA the big bollix) B]Sub Forum - Food & Drink - Faith, DesF, Mr Magnolia[/B [Sub Forum - Travel - BuffyBot] [Sub Forum - Motors - kbannon, unkel,]
    • Region - Dub13
    • Sci - Simu
    • Sports - RuggieBear
    • Tech - MiCr0 [Sub forum Home entertainment - Spankeh, The Ritz] [Sub Forum - Cable / Digital TV - icdg, watty, byte,]

fyp ;)

I have no problems with any PMs I send in a mod capacity being published either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Faith wrote: »

• Arts - LoLth
    • Films - Karl Hungus
    • Biz - WhiteWashMan
    • Edu - çrash_000
    • Games - amp
    • Consoles - amp
    • Music - Karl Hungus
    • Rec - WhiteWashMan ( AKA the latter day Antipodean)
    • Region - Dub13
    • Sci - Simu
    • Sports - RuggieBear
    • Tech - MiCr0 [Sub forum Home entertainment - Spankeh, ]

fyp ;)
    fyfyp.

Some of the quoted users above may mod multiple forums, but are not CMods.

Following that rationale, you might as well call me a CMod of South, and Adverts Support, since both have sub fora.
    Faith wrote: »
    I have no problems with any PMs I send in a mod capacity being published either.

Neither have I. However, it's easier to have a blanket rule on the republishing of PMs rather than have a grey area, where you have to moderate the actions of a friend, for example.

Two things come to mind.

1. Don't republish PMs
    2. Whether you're a mod or not, don't write anything you can't stand over, in deference to the fact that (1) is not always followed, and also because it just makes sense, whether you're moderating or not.

Considering the tone of that, if I were to send anything to you Asia how could I expect fair analysis?
    There is no tone just fact, and I would have (and did with yourself) give a fair analysis. You were dealt with in exactly the same manner that I have dealt with others. At one point I even asked to have your ban lifted for Christmas, the Mod of that forum explained very clearly your series of dialogues via PM and why he did not feel he should lift the ban at that time. You also raised this issue on another of this happy little group of Forums and were told that I mod fairly, even that I had over turned a ban by the same mod in the same forum and that Mod had even taken time out to come into the Forum to apologize for loosing his cool. And your reply, Meh? You appear to be trying to make this banning and subsequent PMs appear to be a personal issue. It is not. When you enter any Forum here you are expected to observe the Charter. You were out of order and got banned for it until you could convince the said mod that you understood the reason for the ban and that it would not happen again.
    And that is all you need to do to have it lifted.

<snip>

Posted in anger.

<snip>

Posted in anger.

Understood, leave it with me.

Have to say Hivemind you wont get a fairer shake on boards then you will from Asiaprod there.

Advertisement