Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E85 fuel

Options
  • 07-01-2008 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

Hi All!
    Was filling up the jessmobile last night at the local petrol station, and noticed that there was another option to the usual unleaded/super-unleaded/diesel options, this stuff called E85? It's seemingly a mix of 5% biofuel and the rest is unleaded. It's a bit cheaper than unleaded too. My question is, if I put it into my car, would it damage the engine in any way? The pump wasn't marked in any immeadiately distingushable manner (the diesel and unleaded pumps are different colours )Car's a 1.4, nearly 10 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

think that stuff is for specially designed cars. I know saab do a car that can use that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

E85 is 85% bioethanol 15% unleaded, it can only be used in flexifuel cars such as some saab's and flexifuel fords and volvo's.

Don't put it in your car, can cause damage to seals and other parts.

E5 can be used any any car, its 5% bioethanol and 95% unleaded.

Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

E85 is up to 85% biofuel (made mostly of corn oil) and the rest unleaded. More and more cars are being made "FlexFuel Ready" and you should check your manual...I had a car form 1999 that is able to take E85, even though there was no badge on the outside of the car saying so. It is cheaper, but not as efficient because it's not true petrol, but it does not damage your engine (if it is made for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Thanks, will steer clear of it so. Maxol stations do the E95 stuff instead of what was 'normal' unleaded now so as Neil said, that one must be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Thanks, will steer clear of it so. Maxol stations do the E95 stuff instead of what was 'normal' unleaded now so as Neil said, that one must be good to go.

E5 is the fuel that can be used in all cars, maxol have stopped selling standard unleaded as it's been replaced with E5 (5% bioethanol 95% unleaded).

Neil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jessibelle wrote: »

E5. The number is the percentage of ethanol, 95% ethanol would be close to the maximum possible (believe ethanol can be isolated to about 97% and after that its impossible to get it to seperate more).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Thanks again! My numbers are all over the shop this evening.:o I could have swore I'd typed E5:rolleyes:

Advertisement