Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midi cable query

Options
  • 07-01-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I have a basic enough Yamaha piano keyboard that has a midi out socket and a midi in socket. The socket type is your typical midi multi-pin type.

Now, if I wanted to buy a cable to go from the keyboard to something like a Presonus Firebox to a Macbook, what sort of a cable should I be looking for.

I can't seem to figure it out. Most Midi cables I can find have the same fitting on either end.

Is there a converter cable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Nope, you just use the standard MIDI cable with the round 5 pin DIN connectors at each end that you are familiar with. It plugs into the keyboard's Out socket at one end, and into the Firebox at the other, via a breakout cable. The breakout cable should be included with the Firebox and would look something like this:
    00-cables.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

cornbb wrote: »
    Nope, you just use the standard MIDI cable with the round 5 pin DIN connectors at each end that you are familiar with. It plugs into the keyboard's Out socket at one end, and into the Firebox at the other, via a breakout cable. The breakout cable should be included with the Firebox and would look something like this:
    00-cables.jpg

oh the breakout cable would be supplied. Good stuff. That's all I needed.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Let us know how you get on with the Firebox, I've heard good things about them and was thinking of getting one a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

yeah looks like it's the one I'll go for. Just need to find the cheapest place for it online.

I'll report back

Advertisement