Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did this development take place, 90holiday homes + hotel near Lough Eske

Options
  • 07-01-2008 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

"At Lough Eske in in Co Donegal, Coillte sold to Lough Eske Development Company Ltd who then applied for 58 holiday homes and 40 apartments as well as a proposal to turn the ruined castle into a hotel on the edge of Lough. The 1999 plan appears to have expired when the planning authorities required a reduction in numbers."

Im trying to find out if the above development actually took place, it was a proposal but I dont know if it got planning permission or not. Perhaps it got planning as a smaller scale development. Was the hotel constructed? Brooke Castle was the castle name that was being proposed to be be developed into the hotel. Can any of ye North-West folk enlighten me please?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

As far as I know, there is a new development going on there now. I'll try to find more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

That would be appreciated. 2 of the developers names involved in the project i referred to are Pat Doherty and Pat o`Mahony, if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Would this be the hotel you are referring to?

You can search for planning applications on the Councils website here or a search on their gplan service where you can locate sites by zooming in on the map. The documents related to applications received after May 05 can also be viewed online.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 loughdergjunkie

I think that app is from 97 so it wouldn't have any docs scanned..

muffler wrote: »
    Would this be the hotel you are referring to?

You can search for planning applications on the Councils website here or a search on their gplan service where you can locate sites by zooming in on the map. The documents related to applications received after May 05 can also be viewed online.

Yeah, that would appear to be it! I wonder how many of the holiday homes they built in the end or if they had to scale down much from the proposed 90.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

Nuttzy wrote: »
    Yeah, that would appear to be it! I wonder how many of the holiday homes they built in the end or if they had to scale down much from the proposed 90.
    Hi Nuttzy,

I live within a few mile of this new 5***** hotel but havent gone to see it yet, it is supposed to be huge, I saw a photo of it in the Democrat over Christmas and it definitely does look vast! Not sure about the 90 holiday homes but will take a look when I have finished my semestered exams this week and next - under pressure at the moment!

It's supposed to be very exclusive, breathtaking so the sooner I see it the better before they stop the locals from gawking! Ha, Ha, Ha, as if they could ever do that!

Best wishes,

blue shimmering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 John Doherty

can't say i'm surprised donegal county council permits a hotel and holiday homes to be built beside a lake..

it shouldn't be allowed.
    tourists appreciate donegal for its untouched beauty - but this is slowly being coroded away by idiotic developments like this one.

the lake will be ruined, i hope its worth it :confused:

can't say i'm surprised donegal county council permits a hotel and holiday homes to be built beside a lake..

it shouldn't be allowed.
    tourists appreciate donegal for its untouched beauty - but this is slowly being coroded away by idiotic developments like this one.

the lake will be ruined, i hope its worth it :confused:
    Did you lodge an objection to the planning application?

no i didn't, do you think it would have made a difference?
    did you object to it? did anyone?

its not the point really - common sense, smashey.

you don't build houses or hotels beside lakes without knowing in time, it will ruin the surrounding wildlife.

That is unless you're working in the donegal county council of course, and don't really care about it.

I know how it works in the council, smashey.
    We both know you don't get a job there making good decisions.

no i didn't, do you think it would have made a difference?
    did you object to it? did anyone?

its not the point really - common sense, smashey.

you don't build houses or hotels beside lakes without knowing in time, it will ruin the surrounding wildlife.

That is unless you're working in the donegal county council of course, and don't really care about it.

I know how it works in the council, smashey.
    We both know you don't get a job there making good decisions.
    "Stable door, horse and bolted" spring to mind. It's no use coming on here complaining after the event, when the time for action was during the planning process.

• Advertisement

On a side note it should be noted that more than 50% of the appealed planning decisions made by Donegal County Council last year were overturned by An Bord Pleanala. So if you have no confidence in the planning process locally you should still make your objection and then appeal the decision if necessary.

if thats the attitude you have on this smashey, why not construct a hotel and holiday homes in Glenveagh too? - as long as nobody objects of course.

i don't have a problem complaining, its not unreasonable to protest destruction of wildlife in donegal so a minority can get rich.

on the way to fanad couple of weeks ago, i noticed an unfinished hotel situated beside a lake..excellent work, outstanding contribution to donegal, just what we need.

know anything about that, smashey?

@muffler

its good that someone cares about our environment.

Try pulling this back on topic again please (and I know Im guilty myself of going off topic)

Maybe someone could start a new thread about planning in the Donegal or Northwest fora which should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I live about 4 miles from this new hotel on the shores of Lough Eske. I have visited it on several occasions and I must say its a fantastic development.

The old castle building has been restored beautifully and extensions have been added tastfully. Access is via a single track forested drive way which in no way takes away from the picturesque beauty of the lake side location. The grounds though not completely finished are landscaped with lawns and fountain features. Nothing too modern but striking notheless.The interior is superb. Tastefully done with no expense spared.

From what I can tell the area to the rear of the hotel with a large carpark has what seem to be apartments facing it but they appear as part of the main building.

I dont think anyone who sees this new development could say that it is ruining the natural beauty of the area. I for one think it enhances it.

(P.S - Service was excellent in the bar and a pint was well cheaper than a certain other hotel not too far away)

From what I can tell the area to the rear of the hotel with a large carpark has what seem to be apartments facing it but they appear as part of the main building.
    The initial proposal was for the conversion of the castle into the hotel and then 58 holiday homes and 40 apartments.

There was an action committee formed to protest against this development, made up of local people, 200 people attended a meeting about the protest against the proposal.

It was argued that the whole complex with a staff of 100 would mean a total of 500 people on site whilst the population around all of Lough Eske is now only 380.

Locals wernt aware of so much holiday homes in the initial proposal because the initial planning was cleverly sought under the title of re-development of Ashford castle into a hotel, and the amount of holiday homes only became apparent when locals could view the plans in the local council office.

I cant seem to find the planning application for this development though, im just trying to find out what number of the holiday homes and apartments were granted permission. The initial numbers of 58 houses and 40 apartments is ridiculous in my opinion but this may have been a ploy to attain a lower amount, the developmer may never have intended to get planning for that number. It`d be interesting to seewhat numbers were granted in the end.

Nuttzy wrote: »
    I cant seem to find the planning application for this development though, im just trying to find out what number of the holiday homes and apartments were granted permission. The initial numbers of 58 houses and 40 apartments is ridiculous in my opinion but this may have been a ploy to attain a lower amount, the developmer may never have intended to get planning for that number. It`d be interesting to seewhat numbers were granted in the end.
    Because the application appears to be a few years old you wont get any data online other than the bare details and thats only if you can input the planning reference number. You would need to ring the planning department and ask to see the file. Then you would need to either check the actual on-site development and see if that fits in with what was approved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Try pulling this back on topic again please (and I know Im guilty myself of going off topic)

Maybe someone could start a new thread about planning in the Donegal or Northwest fora which should be interesting.

That would be an idea. Its a very emotive subject (rightfully) in the north west in general. Even if it were to enable people to know the "process' of how to get more involved when new developments come up or flag up anything topical in their area. It is our heritage which is more than short term gain.
    There may not be many local people than can afford to do much else in this place than go for a pint and yet it may have a long reaching impact environmentally. :(.

tuppence wrote: »
    That would be an idea. Its a very emotive subject (rightfully) in the north west in general. Even if it were to enable people to know the "process' of how to get more involved when new developments come up or flag up anything topical in their area. It is our heritage which is more than short term gain.
    There may not be many local people than can afford to do much else in this place than go for a pint and yet it may have a long reaching impact environmentally. :(.
    Well said tuppence.

And coicententially Im just in fro the pub after a few a (or many) pints

How ya fixed for a date on friday next :)

Well said tuppence.

And coicententially Im just in fro the pub after a few a (or many) pints

How ya fixed for a date on friday next :)

:confused: I havent been to pub and is'nt this where a " snip " might be in order.

:confused: I havent been to pub and is'nt this where a " snip " might be in order.
    WHAT......you want the muffler stud snipped? :eek: ..... No way baby :cool:

Edit: ah Jesus tuppence .......it was me that was in the pub...not you

• Advertisement

But you know what they say about a snip in time......
    Anyway i cant be going off topic cos I'l be the one that gets banned. :eek:

But you know what they say about a snip in time......
    Anyway i cant be going off topic cos I'l be the one that gets banned. :eek:
    I never ever banned or threw a woman out of my shack.

Oops sorry this is all off topic - big bad nanook is going to kick my ass for this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

getting back on topic
    the only good thing about this development is that the castle is been used (i beleive it was a hotel in the 30's before it burnt down ?) secondly the original planning was that the holiday homes were to be built first and the hotel second the planning specified the hotel to built first (because if the holiday homes were built first the hotel would never happen)
    anyway not been round it yet
    more info
    http://www.solislougheskecastle.ie/
    mind you looks like harveyspoint have some competition cheapest room in solis €175 cheapest in harveys €320 !

getting back on topic
    the only good thing about this development is that the castle is been used (i beleive it was a hotel in the 30's before it burnt down ?) secondly the original planning was that the holiday homes were to be built first and the hotel second the planning specified the hotel to built first (because if the holiday homes were built first the hotel would never happen)
    more info
    Regardless of how the overall development is perceived by others at least the planners got it right by ensuring the hotel was built first.

Good post ednwireland

getting back on topic
    more info

So how did this situation come about? Was the change due to the Council planning section or was it through objections from the public?
    There isnt a golf course of the grounds is there, "nearby" I hope is off the estate. IMO so many lovely old estates have been landscaped to death again for an exclusive client population. Re the spa stuff how trendy is that at the moment, theres such such a fad. Would reckon with a tightening of the belts and lack of disposable income how viable are they going to be in the future? The other thing if I was someone coming from England or the states to a health retreat, the last thing I would imagine woudl be a place with developments dotted all over the place. :eek: You could get that in Covent garden. Isnt what people come for ie the unspoilt aspect of it?
    Same stuff in going on in Leitrim, and all over really. :(

. IMO so many lovely old estates have been landscaped to death again for an exclusive client population.
    (
    hmm nothing new there then most of the old estates were landscaped to death in the first place (capability brown springs to mind http://www.britainexpress.com/History/bio/brown.htm)
    As far as i know the irish demesne werent much better not much changes eh

hmm nothing new there then most of the old estates were landscaped to death in the first place (capability brown springs to mind http://www.britainexpress.com/History/bio/brown.htm)
    As far as i know the irish demesne werent much better not much changes eh

Sorry Ednwireland, I really shoud have used the ternm flattened or bulldozed rather than "landscaped". I was referring to golf courses on estates and come to think of it some other areas that should have been protected. Suppose when I think of those landscaped gardens at least some wild life could/can still habit happily and you could go for a walk on it (maybe not historically unless you wanted to get shot!). But certainly beats getting the head taken off you with a golf ball! It appears to still be exclusive or segregated ,(dependin which way you look at is) you would think we might learn the lessons of the past.:confused:
    Back on topic so was the old hotel landscaped by lancelot do you reckon? ;)

doubt it didnt do much in ireland although it makes me laugh that they were trying to design more natural landscapes seriously OT now any more of this and well have to move to the gardening forum

seriously OT now any more of this and well have to move to the gardening forum
    Well spotted ;)

• Advertisement

But by this logic Muffler you would have had to reprimand yourself and send yourself to an appropriate corner.. I mean forum last night as above. Possibly the beers but not sure if one has been invented? ;)

As aside: Of course we all must stay ot.

Advertisement