Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing Driveway ideas

Options
  • 07-01-2008 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if any of you have ideas for finishing a drivewway, I don't want concrete or tar, for the moment anyway. I plan fill with some 804, but then I don't know what to put on top of this, is there need to put something on this? Anybody have experiences finishing a driveway - good\bad.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Noviceman wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if any of you have ideas for finishing a drivewway, I don't want concrete or tar, for the moment anyway. I plan fill with some 804, but then I don't know what to put on top of this, is there need to put something on this? Anybody have experiences finishing a driveway - good\bad.

Thanks
    804 and then put a roller on it
    cobble block
    cobble stone
    pebble
    concrete with a cobble design with a dye in it z(hard as any out there with no maintenance):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Noviceman

that's a lot of stuff to put down, all sounds expensive to put down that amount of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

that's a lot of stuff to put down, all sounds expensive to put down that amount of stuff
    concrete would be cheapest about 90em3 plus labour
    after that the price goes up & up & up
    try to source the materials yourself
    then look at getting the labour done

where are you based im me i may be able to help you out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I plan fill with some 804, but then I don't know what to put on top of this, is there need to put something on this?

The CL804 on it's own will be fine if that is what you mean. It will not look great but it will be ok as a temporary measure. It is a suitable base for all of the other options so you will not limit your choice of finishes later on by putting this down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

804 is only OK, grain size means that a lot of pieces will stick to shoes and be brought inside.
    For practicality washed 3/4 chip is still the best, too big to stick in shoes and easy to clean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

804 would not be a recommended finish for a private driveway, fine for builders yard etc but a crap finish. Also 804 is normally a sub-base and if used with a pebble/stone chip finish, you must use 804 dust to blind ie seal the 804 and prevent it mixing with decorative layer.

Plenty of cowboy finished driveways around, just look and see the 804 mix with the Ballylusk/Glenview light gold surface pebbles.

Also a tip on decorative finish, although pebble especially wexford Beach pebble can look very attractive, pebbles are impractical for Driveways, because as a rounded stone they never lock-in and consequently cars can caus eridges very easily and also difficult for pedestrian traffic to use and also pull wheelie bins over.

Better to look for a chip stone which can be rolled/compacted nicely, allow max 15mm top dressing. Popular size is 14mm but you can use smaller/larger sizes. Popular stones light colours (Ballylusk, Glenview, Donegal Quartz), Mid Tones (Emerald Quartz) there is a very nice range of light and dark coloured granite chippings also available.

Finally bear in mind that stone will darken in time, and in driveways avoid using light tones where there might be risk of engine oil leaks, significant leaf falls etc etc.

For a low cost temporary finish use 804 and blind approx 3mm with 804 dust or alternatively blind with Ballylusk dust for a light gold finish. Comapcts really well for a smooth finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Noviceman

good advice... where would i get that Ballylusk dust from? I've never heard of it and anyone ring about it haven't a clue either, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

^^^ Try
    Natural Stone Yard, Ashbourne, Landscape Depot, Kiltipper (Tallaght), but there are several suppliers. Ballylusk is quarried in Wicklow. The dust can be used for rolled paths/blinding 804.

Advertisement