Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching providers

Options
  • 07-01-2008 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

My parents are planning to switch from eircom (haha) to Perlico. When I was in the uk you could get a migration code and migrate from one to the other with minimum disruption to your connection. Am I correct in understanding that they don't have that here? They need to phone eircom to get their connection cancelled and then phone Perlico and pay the reconnection fee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

any insight from someone who's switched providers before would be helpful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Just ring Perlico and let them do the rest. Don't cancel with Eircom first or else you'll be without a phone. You shouldn't have any downtime.

This is based on what my parents did and what happened when they switched about 6 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Do not cancel with Eircom or else Perlico will not be able to switch you over!!!

Just ring Perlico and give them your eircom account number and they will handle the rest with Eircom

That's what was worrying me. The person on the Perlico sales desk said my parents needed to call eircom and ask that they cancel the broadband service before Perlico can offer a service on the line as there couldn't be two dsl services active on the same line. That reasoning makes sense (cant have 2 DSL services on same line), but in the uk the provider arranges the migration with whoever you are transferring from, sounds like from what ye are saying that happens here too.

Maybe I should just get them to call Perlico back and hope to talk to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Ring perlico back and ask for a supervisor, i recently changed from bt to smart, and was also told to cancel my existing provider...bad move....cost me about 4 weeks downtime, and hours on hold...:rolleyes:

i found it amazing how differant people in the same organisation would tell you completely differant things...i eventually ended up dealing with a supervisor directly because i couldn't trust what i was being told...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i changed from eircom to bt just before christmas and bt took care of everything .

i got a letter from eircom this week to confirm the change over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

random wrote: »
    Just ring Perlico and let them do the rest. Don't cancel with Eircom first or else you'll be without a phone. You shouldn't have any downtime.

This is based on what my parents did and what happened when they switched about 6 months ago.
    Sorry. This response was based on you changing your voice calls provider.

I'm pretty sure you do have to encounter downtime when changing DSL provider, at least I have done in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

random wrote: »
    Sorry. This response was based on you changing your voice calls provider.

I'm pretty sure you do have to encounter downtime when changing DSL provider, at least I have done in the past.

Not true there should be no downtime assuming the provider your switching to knows what their at...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

There is no downtime changing between the Eircom resellers (which is what you are doing) as long as you don't cancel your existing provider first. If Perlico told you to cancel Eircom first then they are talking out of their arse.
    Thats another reason to steer clear of them.

I believe the problem is that they are cheeeeeep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

Gryzor wrote: »
    Ring perlico back and ask for a supervisor, i recently changed from bt to smart, and was also told to cancel my existing provider...bad move....cost me about 4 weeks downtime, and hours on hold...:rolleyes:

i found it amazing how differant people in the same organisation would tell you completely differant things...i eventually ended up dealing with a supervisor directly because i couldn't trust what i was being told...

I changed from Eircom to Smart, and Smart told me to cancel Eircom first, had some downtime but is was worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

supervixen wrote: »
    I changed from Eircom to Smart, and Smart told me to cancel Eircom first, had some downtime but is was worth it :)

Smart is an LLU provider. Different kettle of fish.

Advertisement