Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Phone Service

Options
  • 07-01-2008 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Just rang Digiweb about there phone service, the guy on the phone knew next to nothing about it.

I'm using Airwire for my broadband and as far as I can see from the website digiweb don't mind what broadband provider you are using, the digiweb guy had no details about ata hardware they support/supply or wifi phones etc.

Does anybody know anything more about the service as I'd like to ditch the landline and keep my local number?

Cheers,

A.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I thought that Digiweb phone only worked with Digiweb broadband (mainly aimed at Metro). I've never heard of anyone using Digiweb like you would use Blueface, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are two Digiweb phone services (currently :) )

One is part of Metro:
    http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_index.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=90&zzz=hm
    Metro doesn't need or use a physical phone line for its Phone service.

The other is on your phone line. You can use Digiweb for DSL too as well as phone. You don't have to go out and buy someone like Perlico to offer phone calls.
    03 Jan Press Release: http://media.digiweb.ie/

Currently you can't have Digiweb phone service on Airwire. You can have it on your phone line though.

WiFi phones are a bad idea. DECT phones are wireless and have less interference, more range, longer battery life. They don't use up your WiFi bandwidth either.

DECT phones can be used on Metro, physical Landline/phone line or VOIP.

WiFi phones only work on selected VOIP services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aideng

Thanks watty as always you clear up the muddy waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You are most likely best of with Blueface (http://www.blueface.ie).

We use them ourselfes and are quite happy with them.

The quality of the calls depend on how good your connection to the next basestation is though. In the core network we've prioritised VoIP and are currently working on optimizing to help VoIP.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire
    http://www.airwire.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Just to be annoying Martin... :)

QoS and CoS is only part of a good voice service...Prioritising packets certainly helps but Jitter, Packet loss and latency also impact voice massively and it's the overall MOS score that is important in terms of the end user perceived experience.

Added to this is the issues you can face in unlicensed spectrum such as sudden drops in SNR, fade etc which as you know can be unpredictable and to be fair to you, you did mention the quality of the connection to the BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

plus Bluface is 3rd party. An ISP's own gateway always performs better.

A built in by ISP solution with no user settings, QOS, remote managed ATA (SIP /Voice ports) and essentially only the traffic on their own private network is secure from Voice spam, evesdropping and can offer a service identical in operation, features and quality to a landline. 3rd part like Skype, Gizmo, Blueface and Trufone etc can't do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

How's Digiweb's voice service these days? Does it work and is it supported or is it still just a "bonus" service that may or may not work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have it and the only "glitch" is occassional drop outs, not enough to annoy me though.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

crawler wrote: »
    Just to be annoying Martin... :)

QoS and CoS is only part of a good voice service...Prioritising packets certainly helps but Jitter, Packet loss and latency also impact voice massively and it's the overall MOS score that is important in terms of the end user perceived experience.

Added to this is the issues you can face in unlicensed spectrum such as sudden drops in SNR, fade etc which as you know can be unpredictable and to be fair to you, you did mention the quality of the connection to the BS.

Correct. That's exactly, why we can't guarantee functionality for VoIP, but we can at least do everything in our power and within our own network to improve the odds.

In the end, it's a matter of expectations: what quality you need, what codecs you choose etc.

Our recommendation is always, to try the free trial, that blueface and others offer. If it works, the odds are good, otherwise don't spend your money on it.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Technical Manager
    Airwire - http://www.airwire.ie

Advertisement