Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The King's Inns irish Exam

• 07-01-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28

Hello Everybody!

Anyone know where I can find information regarding the Irish exam which barristers must complete for the purposes of the Legal Practitioners (Qualifications) Act, 1929?
    Or does anyone know what the structure of the exam is?

Or has anyone sat the exam before and if so how was it?

I am aware that there is legislation in the pipeline which may do away with the Irish language requirement.

Thanks,
    John.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

1) If you are planning on doing a professional qualification (Kings Inns or the Law Society) I wouldn't let the Irish exam deter you. Most industrious people with a bit of leaving cert Irish can get through, and even if you have no Irish, a little hard graft (or ultimately an exemption) will get you through. There are lots of lawyers in Ireland without a word of Irish, but they applied themselves with the same work ethic as they applied themselves to all their other exams and got through.

2) If you are currently in the Kings Inns, you will be informed about the exam shortly. It's by no means a rubber stamp, but it can be done.

3) If your interest is of a more general nature (statistics etc), contact Kings Inns. If you are, for example, researching the use of Irish language exams for academic or journalistic purposes I'm sure they would be happy to help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A non-national friend of mine did (AFAIR) the Law Society proficiency-in-Irish exams a few years back and was told in advance what questions would be asked, and in what order. To my amazement, my friend memorized three pages of A4 which another friend wrote for her and my friend passed the exam with high marks.

I'm sure the exam measures something -- dedication to the legal trade perhaps -- but it's got bugger all to do with knowing how to communicate in Irish.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

I'm actually doing this next week or so. Am not Irish born.

Suggestion that there are pro forma samples available on-line that should be looked at. The exam is written and oral and as such challenges parties to have level 2 EU standard Irish, which is about leaving cert C honours.

I think Johnny hit the nail on the head, again.

Advertisement