Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Discount for sale without warranty

Options
  • 07-01-2008 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Right so, still on the topic of buying from the UK:

I am looking at a car that comes with a 12 month manufacturers used vehicle warranty which includes roadside assistance. But the warranty will not cover me if based in the RoI. So, I am looking at purchasing the car without warranty and buying my own warranty from Warranty Direct.

How much of a discount in price would you expect to receive from a dealer for selling without warranty in this case?

Any ideas/opinions welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I am looking at a car that comes with a 12 month manufacturers used vehicle warranty

Manufacturers warranty should be valid here too. As in buy a two year old car with a three year manufacturers warranty. You'll have the balance (one year) of the manufacturers warranty left. Or do you mean a warranty provided by the dealer you are buying from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

How old is the car, the car might still be under the manufacturers warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If it's a VW dealer used warranty it is voided if the car is reregistered on foreign (non UK) plates. I suspect the other manufacturers may well stipulate the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

unkel wrote: »
    Or do you mean a warranty provided by the dealer you are buying from?

I'd say that's what's on offer. The word 'manufacturer' is slightly misleading. I don't know of any manufacturer that runs a used car warranty - usually it's a sales pitch orchestrated by the importer/distributor and I'd imagine it's specific to the market in which the vehicle is sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

The warranty is not the remainder of a new car warranty (as a two year old car with the balance of an initial 3 year warranty remaining). The car is actually a little over 3 years old. It comes with a manufacturers approved used vehicle warranty. It is not a dealers warranty. Any warranty issues can be sorted out at any main dealer and they recoup the cost from the manufacturer directly.

I have spoken to the manufacturer themselves and they said that I could use a Northern dealer for warranty repairs but that they could not guarantee that an Irish dealer would honour it.

After speaking to an the manufacturer in Ireland they said that they won't honour it, but that I would have to pay for repair myself and then attempt to recover the cost from the manufacturer in the UK.

All in all it seems like a load of hassle and I am inclined to just get a independent warranty myself. But since the warranty doesn't actually come from the garage itself, is there really going to be any incentive for them to not provide one. In other words, does the provision of the warranty actually cost the garage anything at all, as it seems that cost of repair under warranty is soaked up by Head Office as it were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

ellscurr wrote: »
    If it's a VW dealer used warranty it is voided if the car is reregistered on foreign (non UK) plates. I suspect the other manufacturers may well stipulate the same.

Yes I think this is the case for a used warrenty, however if the car came with 3 years manufacturers warrenty originally and you buy it from UK at 2 years the remaining year should still be honoured here by the manufacturer.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Yes I think this is the case for a used warrenty, however if the car came with 3 years manufacturers warrenty originally and you buy it from UK at 2 years the remaining year should still be honoured here by the manufacturer.

I figured the OP was referring to a manufacturer backed warranty offered by a dealer (as in the case of VW). To the OP, have you just asked them whether they'll knock a wee bit off if you don't take the warranty? You can sometimes get an idea of the cost of the warranty from the dealer website (some sell it as an add on to cars that don't have it as standard) but AFAIK they aren't that expensive (you'll know that yourself from Warranty Direct!) and as you said they seem to be streamed through Head Office.

I bought mine in NI and it covers repairs in ROI so long as I don't change the reg plates.

ellscur,

Thanks for the info.

The manufacturers website does not show it as an add on as all their used cars come with 12 months warranty and I can not find any info on extending it beyond that.

Interesting what you say about the reg plates. If I import the car into Ireland and change the plates, is it even more likely that I won't be covered? I was wondering if the warranty is relating to the VIN or the Registration. Seems as though you may have cleared that one up!

Warranty Direct have quoted me UK£580 for 12 month, comprehensive warranty. That's a fair old bit! Add Roadside assistance to it and it would be worth something like UK£700 at least. But, I'm sure there is a big difference between what it's worth and what it costs.

I bought mine in NI and it covers repairs in ROI so long as I don't change the reg plates.

Why would you be interested in repairs in the ROI if you live in NI? :confused:

unkel wrote: »
    Why would you be interested in repairs in the ROI if you live in NI? :confused:

I'm moving permanently back down in about 6 months....so my car will still be under the warranty when I do so. In between then I go back and forth...so I triple checked the warranty covered any repairs necessary while down south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'm moving permanently back down in about 6 months....so my car will still be under the warranty when I do so.

But when you move down here permanently you'll have to re-register the car on ROI plates - thus invalidating your warranty.

ellscur should have 6 months to register the car here. He doesn't need to do it right away if he lived in the North previously and had the car registered there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Mazda give a years warranty with used cars provided the car passes their check list, and I was told that it is covered by Mazda anywhere in Europe. That's on a car that's over the 3 years initial warranty.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

phutyle wrote: »
    But when you move down here permanently you'll have to re-register the car on ROI plates - thus invalidating your warranty.
    A manufacturer's warranty is AFAIK applicable across the EU.

Oh well. All sorted out now. The manufacturer have confirmed that once the car is re-registered outside the UK the warranty becomes invalid. So sale without warranty it is then.

So how much of a discount would you expect? I found some info on extended warranties and they charge about £700 for 12 months cover. Obviously though, this is what they charge Joe Public and the cost to them is considerably less. But does anyone have any idea how these things work? If the manufacturer and not the dealer provides the warranty, is there any saving to the dealer themselves for withholding the warranty?????

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

EU law was changed a few years ago that all manufacturers have to honour the warranty across all EU member states.

This does not apply to a dealer's used car warranty however.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

bazz26 wrote: »
    EU law was changed a few years ago that all manufacturers have to honour the warranty across all EU member states.

This does not apply to a dealer's used car warranty however.

Sure, I realise that. Just that the poster said "I bought mine in NI and it covers repairs in ROI so long as I don't change the reg plates.", and he'd have to change the plates if moving down here. But I must have misunderstood somewhere along the line.

I must have misunderstood somewhere along the line.

No I think you understood it fine!
    ellscur should have 6 months to register the car here. He doesn't need to do it right away if he lived in the North previously and had the car registered there.

If he became resident in the republic, he'd have to register the car within a day. There are a few exceptions to this, like being on a temporary work contract etc.

I know...but by the time I'm down permanently it'll only have a month or so left to run anyway. I was checking that if it packed up in the meantime during one of my visits down south the repairs would be covered.

OP how much are we talking for the car anyway? Asking price.

Asking price is UK£10,995.

• Advertisement
Advertisement