Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No NCT - is car insured??

Options
  • 07-01-2008 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I had wheels stolen off my car a couple weeks back and am filling out my claim form for insurance and it asks the question -is the car nct'd?
    It was due for the NCT during the year but I had booked in to have the nct the day after the wheels were robbed so obviously I couldn't do it. Am I still insured?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I cant see the logic in claiming off your insurance for alloy wheels. Surely the repercussions of voiding your no-claims bonus and the following cover price hike would be equal if not more then the cost of a set of wheels.

If they where the standard wheels nows the time to upgrade, if they were after market wheels they wouldn't be insured anyway unless specifically noted to be a non standard part or modification with your insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I believe it's in the small print. If your car is not NCTed then it's not roadworthy and thus not insured.

This is on my Quinn Insurance policy anyway.

Whether they let the claim go ahead of not ... I guess that's their call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 lissy

It wasn't as straight forward as popping on new wheels so made more financial sense to claim from the insurance.
    They have paid for the repair already as I went through their recommended garage so I am just filling out the paperwork now and getting it signed by the gardai. Would they come looking for the money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'd imagine the theft part of the policy would have to be honoured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

Didn't the govn. clarify this after the introduction of the NCT?

They said that a car DOES NOT have to have the NCT to be insured.

I think this was to prevent otherwise law abiding citizens from going uninsured just because they (couldn't afford / didn't want) to change their old banger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

lissy wrote: »
    It wasn't as straight forward as popping on new wheels so made more financial sense to claim from the insurance.
    They have paid for the repair already as I went through their recommended garage so I am just filling out the paperwork now and getting it signed by the gardai. Would they come looking for the money back?

There was no mention of repairs in the original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

What Random said, check the wording of your policy.

I know my policy clearly states that cover is dependent on me having
    a valid NCT for the car. (And I'm not with Quinn)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

random wrote: »
    I believe it's in the small print. If your car is not NCTed then it's not roadworthy and thus not insured.

This is on my Quinn Insurance policy anyway.

Whether they let the claim go ahead of not ... I guess that's their call.
    Wrong advice - it may be in the small print in some policys but it is not included in all policys - its not part of mine!
    The OP should check their own policy to be sure - only they can tell if its an explicit clause to their policy.

Advertisement