Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For bragging about your kids:

Options
  • 07-01-2008 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hello! I have 2 grown sons that I have always loved to brag about. Our oldest son has made his own spending money since he was 8 years old. (paper routs and cutting laws est.)
    When he graduated high school he received a couple small bursaries but did a few Joe jobs for a couple of years.
    After that he took out a $32.000 student loan and took a baking chief coarse. Nowadays he is still paying down that loan but he is a baker at a German bakery and this
    Christmas one of the best gifts he gave us was a big bag full of dark ryes and soft pretzels that he had made.
    Our youngest son didn’t start making his own spending money until he was 17. How he made money was by putting his hat down and doing a little juggling or brake dancing for the tourists. He was also a MVP and the team goon (he took out opposing players when things got ruff) on a lacrosse team.
    He dropped out of school with an incomplete grade 8 and is now working in Alberta at a meat plant. His job is cutting the legs and heads off cattle. He and his gal both make a good wage with a good benefits but I hope some day I can up-date this post with the news that my son went back to school and got his diploma. Anyway I would love to hear some bragging about your kids. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

My 2 are 10 weeks old..one can puke from one side of the room to the other and the other one can cry from 9pm to 1am :D:(

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Nanoose2 wrote: »
    Hello! I have 2 grown sons that I have always loved to brag about. Our oldest son has made his own spending money since he was 8 years old. (paper routs and cutting laws est.)
    When he graduated high school he received a couple small bursaries but did a few Joe jobs for a couple of years.
    After that he took out a $32.000 student loan and took a baking chief coarse. Nowadays he is still paying down that loan but he is a baker at a German bakery and this
    Christmas one of the best gifts he gave us was a big bag full of dark ryes and soft pretzels that he had made.
    Our youngest son didn’t start making his own spending money until he was 17. How he made money was by putting his hat down and doing a little juggling or brake dancing for the tourists. He was also a MVP and the team goon (he took out opposing players when things got ruff) on a lacrosse team.
    He dropped out of school with an incomplete grade 8 and is now working in Alberta at a meat plant. His job is cutting the legs and heads off cattle. He and his gal both make a good wage with a good benefits but I hope some day I can up-date this post with the news that my son went back to school and got his diploma. Anyway I would love to hear some bragging about your kids. Cheers!
    kids are like farts you can just about stand your own:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Very little to brag about yet, really... she's not even two.

She is however the most beautiful child the world has ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Both my kids (7 months and 26 months), are cuter, more advanced, and better behaved than anyone else's of the same age.

This is due to both a) better breeding and b) the sensible decision not to abandon either in a creche/child-minder and have one parent at home with them full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

My daughter has spoken twice as many languages as me, since she was 2.5 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Jaden wrote: »
    Both my kids (7 months and 26 months), are cuter, more advanced, and better behaved than anyone else's of the same age.

This is due to both a) better breeding and b) the sensible decision not to abandon either in a creche/child-minder and have one parent at home with them full time.

My 22 month old is abondened to a creche and my baby that is due in 6 weeks will also go to creche.

Guess I'm just a bad parent then, no point in me bragging as i never see my daughter as she is raised by strangers in a creche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Sorry, I have to second High&Low's rant. Jaden, it's one thing to brag, but by blatantly stating your kids are better than others because you're in a financial position to be able to leave one parent home (a position I wish I was in) isn't really fair...

We made a conscious decision to do the same with our two kids and I have to say, I agree.

Development in the early stages of life is directly related to the amount of stimulation a child receives. It's an inconvenient truth that one parent providing dedicated 24/7 love, attention, care and stimulation to their own child/children will result in more and better stimulation for those children than an unrelated child minder with less emotional attachment and responsible for 5 or 6 other kids.

That said, our economy is two-income based. It can be economically prohibitive for many families to choose to have one stay at home. I balme the economy and Ireland inc which has chose a path that does take the family unit into consideration.

I'll freely admit that my wife has the more difficult job, being at home and I can understand anyone not choosing that route. It's surely better to be a happy loving parent that works than a reluctant resentful parent at home with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

WOW! That is really different. Its the first time Ive ever heard someone bragging about their son dropping out of school at grade 8 and begging for awhile and then getting the great job of "cutting the legs and heads off cattle" :eek:
    Can you imagine if he got a job as a top executive of a bank, I think your head would explode ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

di11on wrote: »
    Development in the early stages of life is directly related to the amount of stimulation a child receives. It's an inconvenient truth that one parent providing dedicated 24/7 love, attention, care and stimulation to their own child/children will result in more and better stimulation for those children than an unrelated child minder with less emotional attachment and responsible for 5 or 6 other kids.
    It's surely better to be a happy loving parent that works than a reluctant resentful parent at home with the kids.

Di11on - As usual, I agree with your post. I understand that constant parental care and guidance is the best, however as you also point out, sometimes being a parent 24/7 with no breaks can eventually work against you. In that case, I can't see how a worn out parent offers better stimulation and care than a team of dedicated and energetic creche employees who chose to be where they are and are paid to provide a very professional and constant service.

I think the best case is for children to be surrounded by love and happiness no matter where they are or who they are with. In our particular case, we dote constantly on our 13 mo. old DD while she's at home, then we know she receives *a lot* of attention in her creche (there are 6 babies and 2 workers), then she is with us and our extended family each evening. She is very social, well behaved and happy (she'd take on Jaden's brilliant & perfect prodgeny anyday). :D

But that's just my 2cents worth - I think this thread is asking for a lot of "mine are better than yours" posts. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I would just like to say that my two children are the greatest......

My daughter 8 has definetly got a career in Psychology ahead of her... Why? What? When? How? Where?

My son 2 (tomorrow) is the next Ronaldinho... Ball Mad!!

Ayla wrote: »
    But that's just my 2cents worth - I think this thread is asking for a lot of "mine are better than yours" posts. ;)

What kind of parent would an objective one be anyway! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

LOL, and if they grow up with a chip on their shoulder and are socially inept, we'll know who to blame. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Better breeding as opposed to what exactly? :rolleyes:

Your post make you sound totally snobbish and ignorant, if this is the example your setting and your poor children are stuck at home with that attitude all day, I can only imagine what they'll turn out like.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Shelli

Please refer to the charter about civil posting, personal abuse is not accepted on this site.

Jaden and his co parent clearly think 1 stay at home parent is the way to go and he is entitled to that opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Apologies if I seemed uncivil, but I genuinely would like to know what Jaden means by "better breeding"?

I never did believe in eugenics,
    my (only) child went to a creche the lady who ran the creche
    has more qualifications in child minding/rearing etc etc than most parents. out there(her son with dyslexia has a degree in applied maths and physics)My daughter (10) has excellant manners/mannerism I can bring her out with me knowing she wont show me up. She's a happy kid and I monitor her progress with her school. she interacts well with others. She does her homework, cleans her room(what other responsibilities does a ten year old have).
    1. I dont get the bit about better breeding maybe you could explain a bit better (is it money, social status, family location).
    2. How would a parent be better at raising a child be better than than someone with five, ten, twenty, years experience in child development(as far as I can know parenting skills are learnt as you you go), one day your not a parent the next you are.
    3. Wheather you know it or not you children have a v.small social circle arn't you worried about how they will cope when/if they go to school and realise there not the centre of attention.
    The thing about putting people on such a high pedestal is that they might fall and hurt themselves. These's are the issues I worry about your input would be appriecated

Ive read this a couple of times and im just after getting it now.....to have your kids grow and develop with their own mind,
    TRULY AMAZING WELL DONE.

Some research has been done on the topic:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2007.01021.x

The full article must be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Shelli wrote: »
    Apologies if I seemed uncivil, but I genuinely would like to know what Jaden means by "better breeding"?

I expect he was being humorous.

• Advertisement

UB wrote: »
    I expect he was being humorous.

Yes, if you were to understand the comment literally, it would mean that because her and her partner come from superior genetic stock, their children are of consistently superior genetic calibre. :-) I think most of the people espousing these kinds of beliefs were hung in 1945 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

We had a neighbour who once said to me that her 2 lovely children were "genetically perfect".I took exception to this kind of nazi scientist speak and she told me to calm down saying that the genetic makeup of kids is vital to know for a number of reasons.She went on for about an hour, and honestly if she had a moustache you would think she was hitler in drag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I got the impression that the initial post was a piss take on the fact that parents will find positives in their children to brag about.
    Now some geniuses have decided to turn it into a stay at home/creche debate. If you want to do this then I suggest you start a new thread and allow the rest of us to brag about our children.
    In my case my daughter takes off her own dirty nappy and wipes the mess off the floor with her hands. She obviously has a career in politics ahead of her - cleaning up messes and don't a crap job of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

I also thought that the first post was a bit tongue in cheek...

My brag.... We're so proud of our son 27 mths, last Friday we gave up breastfeeding and he accepted it with not too much protest and now goes to bed for Daddy, who has never put him to bed before. He can speak two languages, he can also climb great heights :eek: , fall from great heights :eek: and get up and dust himself off and try again :eek: He also helps me and Daddy cook and he tastes everything.... right, I'll stop now coz I have a feeling I'm getting glazed expressions from you all now ;)

I could so easily take the bait, but I won't.

Jaden, humourous or not, this sort of comment isn't helpful and is just a red flag for people to get annoyed and attack you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Well, are y'all ready for this?

My fabulous daughter has been producing the most glorious streams of snot for the last month and,
    wait for it.............she has finally learnt to blow her own nose!!!!!! Yippee! :D

(And it only took 4 years to master that trick!) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Nanoose2

Hello! It was nice to hear about all the great kids out there.
    There was a word in some of the posts that I didn’t know the meaning of “crèche” is that a culture?

dame wrote: »
    Well, are y'all ready for this?

My fabulous daughter has been producing the most glorious streams of snot for the last month and,
    wait for it.............she has finally learnt to blow her own nose!!!!!! Yippee! :D

(And it only took 4 years to master that trick!) :cool:

God, I wish the nose-blowing would twig in my wee ones mind... she's too little though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The OP read like one of those incredibly annoying letters written by American relatives where they go on and on about the grades their child got, the sporting achievements of their children, competitions their children won etc.

Oh, and my parents' son is amazing; extremely intelligent, good looking and well rounded. He did a brilliant Leaving Cert and is doing wonderfully in college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hello! It was nice to hear about all the great kids out there.
    There was a word in some of the posts that I didn’t know the meaning of “crèche” is that a culture?

Day care centre.

Advertisement