Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question for those who are doing science!

Options
  • 07-01-2008 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

hey, jus filling out my cao , im a bit unclear on the whole science omnibus thing! are there timetable restrictions as to what you can do?? for instance would i be able to do only biological sciences?? and when it says you can choose subjects from outside the bsc does that mean that i could choose an arts course as well or is that just wishfull thinking??!! id be very greatful for any help on these issues!! cheers!-dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

It is a bit hard to get your around it alright. First, you can choose any of the sciences for example I'm doing, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. But what you have to do is make sure that at the end of the of your first year you can choose between subject streams which one to enter. For exmaple, between Chemistry and Phsycis, or Maths and Biology etc etc. You have the opt. to take two subjects from outside BSc, but I'd keep within the BSc subjects...

Sometimes subject's will be, er, subject to timetable restriction...but they are few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lobsterstag

cool thanks, that kind of helps but im still a tad confused!! would i be able to jus do biolgy related subjects or would i have to take modules im chem, physics etc??? thanks again!!!!!!:)

If you want to go for a Biology related dagree, like myself, you'll end up doing, at least three biology subjects, two chemistry subjects and two math sibjects.

If you haven't LC chemistry or a some grade in Higher chemistry, can't remember it off hand, you'll have to do three chemistry subjects, the two normal ones and a Intro to Chemistry one.

You can download the UCD Science Handbook which was given to all incoming first years and indeed anyone doing science. Alot of it you won't need but the first few pages will tell you what you want to know. The table on page 17 would be of some use to you.

www.ucd.ie/science/current_students/downloads/2007-2008/Student_Handbook_2007_2008.pdf

cool thanks a million! great help! im quite crap at maths though, i dunno if this is THE COURSE FOR ME!!!!!!!......................cheers

Oh trust me on the maths...it's laughable some of the stuff...this coming from a person who almosted failed Higher maths!

• Advertisement

wow,, cool, its looking up! i kind of understand the whole systom now anyway so thanks a million!!

Any time, if you have any more questions feel free to PM me...

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

hey
    someone was asking bout this before and I answered a few of theyre questions if you can find it,

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

You need an ordinary B3 to get in in the first place, and the omnibus maths course assumes that's your level. People doing an actual maths degree do different, waaay harder, maths classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

oh yeah, the choice between doing maths or honours maths with your science degree course in first year is an easy one :) easy marks tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Unless, y'know, you like Maths, and are coming to college to study things you like rather than just get a degree as easily as possible. Just gonna throw that one out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 phantomwolf

No matter what field of Science you end up going into you will be expexted to do at least a year in Maths. I dont think this is unique to UCD either or even just Science, alot of courses want you to do maths at the start.... though Im not sure why?

Could be be because it's the only subject to teach absolute truth :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

More so because it's required for everything. Maths is fundamental to the all of sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Oh, if you're thinking about doing physics, you should try the harder maths because apparently the physics lecturers assume your maths is good.

Advertisement