Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP PLEASE - Lost user account and all my stuff

• 07-01-2008 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hi people, bit of a disaster here.
    I had just 1 user account on my laptop, the main default administrator one for about the last 3months. Only have the laptop 3months.

I went to add a user account for the other people that might be using the laptop. I called this user account "Anyone". There was an option to switch on "guest", i dont that aswell and then added "anyone". There were 3 accounts listed after i done this,
    1 Administrator
    2 anyone
    3 guest

However i switched the laptop off and now when i started it up, my original administrator account doesnt come up and it doesnt ask me to put in my password. Instead it boots straight to the screeen where you select a user account and the only ones there are anyone and guest. Ive switched ofof guest so its just "anyone" there now.

All thats there now is "anyone" and its listed as administrator.
    How do i get back to my original account? Will system restore work? Ive loads of stuff under my original setup and i cant get to it obviously.

Have i done harm here or can i get this back to the way it was? Appreciate some help big time. :confused::confused::(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Its Windows Xp Pro by the way.
    Ok, i just realised i can actually see my stuff that was under the other profile, but obviously my latout is all different, its an original basic desktop, can i get back to the way it was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Nuttzy wrote: »
    Its Windows Xp Pro by the way.

Try this:

Press CTRL + ALT + DEL twice at the Welcome Screen and input your Administrator password in the classic logon window that appears.

The built-in Admin account is hidden from the startup Welcome Screen when you create a new user account with Administrator privileges enabled. Bit of a pain that.... you can regedit to make it appear at startup if you want.

So if i can get into that way you suggest, i should then go into user accounts and switch off administrator privileges for the "anyone" user account?
    Thanks, ill try that now.

Pressing ctrl/alt/delete doesnt bring up a logon window for me? Im doing this at the welcome screen where the users "anyone" and "guest" are listed yeah?

How do i do the regedit thing?
    cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

to get the classic log on screen, log in as anyone and then go to start --> control panel --> user accounts --> change the way users log on and off. Then log off and on again and you should be able to enter administrator in the username textbox..

quaidox wrote: »
    to get the classic log on screen, log in as anyone and then go to start --> control panel --> user accounts --> change the way users log on and off. Then log off and on again and you should be able to enter administrator in the username textbox..

When i go into accounts and select "change the way users log on and off" theres 2 options, (1 - use the welcome screen 2 - use fast user switching), both of which are already ticked. I unticked option 2 leaving just the welcome screen ticked, i then logged off and the welcome screen still only has "anyone" and "guest".
    What did i do wrong?

Ok,,, i got it. Cheers folks!! Panick over, haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

At the logon screen (with two accounts) press "CTRL+ALT+DEL" (twice)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement