Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thanks for talking to us indeed ...

• 07-01-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Brian Dobson thanked Robert Shortt for talking to him on the News about the US Election in a piece from the States. He thanks reporters for talking to him on the news all the time. He thanks RTE employees for giving up some of their time to do their job.

Jeeze has anyone ever came into work in the morning and heard their Boss say "Thanks for coming in."

Surely he should say something like "Robert, there you are in Washington, in nice accommodation, on nice expenses funded by licence payers - the least you can do is file the odd report now and then - so fire away now and give us the latest."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's just a pleasantry. My bosses thank me whenever I type stuff for them - it would be weird if they just walked off without doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i dont know really, manners is nice.

Im at this stage sick to death holding open a door for a woman for her just to walk through it and not acknowledge it at all, not even a nodd of her head.

oddly enough men seem to always thank you, if you let them through the door first etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

snyper wrote: »
    I'm at this stage sick to death holding open a door for a woman for her just to walk through it and not acknowledge it at all, not even a nodd of her head.

+1...but not gender-limited...wrecks my head! :mad:

OP, it's just manners...and anyway, the reporters out in the field would be equals of Dobson, rather than inferiors, so therefore he would be acknowledging a colleague's input into his work. It'd be the same as you helping a work colleague with a part of a project that they were presenting and then them acknowledging your assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

oddly enough men seem to always thank you, if you let them through the door first etc...
    When driving, I find women rarely acknowledge if I give them right of way, whereas men are always so grateful. I rarely see other women GIVING right of way either.

I find women tend to give me the right away.. thats only because when they see me their front window fogs up and they have to stop :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭JayoCluxton

Hey I'm all for manners! Not a lot of it left in Dublin - I was even thinking of started a website called Underheard in Dublin featuring converstations using words such as thanks, please, etc.

But he could just say "Thanks for that Robert" - its the "Thanks for talking to us Robert" that gets me. Thats what he gets paid for!

He's hardly gonna stand there for two minutes like a mute or whistling! I suppose he could hold up a cue card saying things like "Well Brian I ain't gonna talk to you today until I get my overdue pay increase."

Bah! I digress .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭hairyfish

eh think this has gone a bit south...for the worst...general politness thread has been turned into a mary poppins / womens libber / greater than thow...

My opinion on the OP - i dont have an opinion, but thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

hairyfish wrote: »
    eh think this has gone a bit south...for the worst...general politness thread has been turned into a mary poppins / womens libber / greater than thow...

My opinion on the OP - i dont have an opinion, but thanks

I would totally disagree. This is a great, interesting thread. Thank you Jayo for taking the time in creating it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭hairyfish

fcukin manners...

*curtsy*

Thank you jimbo78 for taking the time to express your opinion and try to prove me wrong...

Without manners what are we?

German?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

German?

lol, trust Snyper to make me laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

"Im at this stage sick to death holding open a door for a woman for her just to walk through it and not acknowledge it at all, not even a nodd of her head."

A quick "You're welcome" whilst smiling will soon sort that one out!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

They say thank you on other channels too.
    Jeeze has anyone ever came into work in the morning and heard their Boss say "Thanks for coming in."

It has happened a few times actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tigrrrr

wow... op there's nothing wrong with showing politeness to colleagues. I think "Robert, there you are in Washington, in nice accommodation, on nice expenses funded by licence payers..." would be an unnecessarily rude and distracting sign-off to a report piece.

Probably worth it for the humour of it, but rude and distracting nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭andyl222

i dont know really, manners is nice.

Im at this stage sick to death holding open a door for a woman for her just to walk through it and not acknowledge it at all, not even a nodd of her head.

hahahha its very true, in recent years I've noticed a distinct decline in manners with regard to the whole 'holding a door open for someone' mullarkey. I have noticed that it is only really english and irish women that don't respond with manners, australians & americans seem very grateful as are eastern european women. Don't you love profiling nationailties with vague generalities.... hahahaha. But seriously,ladies get some manners, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

OP I'd find that annoying too. RTE seem to be trying out a few imported pleasantries and techniques. That one is very US tv station. Recently they went through a phase of asking a journalist something and then saying their name. Then the reporter would say what they wanted and say the newscaster's name. Very CBS/Fox
    Dobson: So there's an election coming up in the States. Robert.
    Robert: Yes there is, it'll be very interesting. Brian.

Ridiculously annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

jdivision wrote: »
    OP I'd find that annoying too. RTE seem to be trying out a few imported pleasantries and techniques. That one is very US TV station. Recently they went through a phase of asking a journalist something and then saying their name. Then the reporter would say what they wanted and say the newscaster's name. Very CBS/Fox
    Dobson: So there's an election coming up in the States. Robert.
    Robert: Yes there is, it'll be very interesting. Brian.

Ridiculously annoying

It's a weird media tactic. Surely making a report conversational between two people detracts from it being a news report as such.

It's the same with that punch and Judy show thing they started doing on rte news about five years ago, following suit from other news reporters. The male presenter reads the first paragraph, the female, the second.
    Then on sky news Jeremy Thompson used to mess it up completely because he always wanted to read the whole thing himself. Cue glaring from his co-presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I always thank the ATM when I take money out of it, sometimes I'll even give it a wee congratulatory pat next to the numberpad.

It's the little things in life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Gordon wrote: »
    I always thank the ATM when I take money out of it, sometimes I'll even give it a wee congratulatory pat next to the numberpad.

It's the little things in life..

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It's dangerous to hold the door open for anyone. Usually, people will just continue to stream in, and you're stuck there like a clod waiting for someone to let you pass. Herds of people materialise out of nowhere, just to thwart you. Nobody says thanks for anything anymore - men or women.

• Advertisement

To continue the bemoaning the loss of manners, I held a door open for a woman on Saturday and as she brushed passed she said, "you think cause I'm a woman I can't open the door myself". I was quite shocked to be honest, I was'nt expecting a thank you or anything as all I was doing was common courtsy but her reaction was certainly unexpected.orthodox.

I think manners and common decency are now a thing of the past, especially when you're out. I had a chorus of lads shouting abuse at me and calling me **** due to the fact that it was raining and I gave my jacket to a friend whose jacket had been stolen in a club. I assumed that most people would do the same in my position.

German?

Germans are excessively polite they even say thank you to the banklink.

They just don't cope well when people do illogical disorderly things.

Advertisement