Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Key

Options
  • 07-01-2008 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea how much a new key for an E46 would cost me? The missus handbag was stolen today and my spare was in it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

About €130 for one with the remote locking feature. It should only take 3 days to get one in. You need to give your local BMW dealer the VIN (Chassis) number of the car. This can usually be found by looking on the bottom of the passenger side of the windscreen (from the outside) Its normally a big long string of letters & digits, but you only need the last 7 digits to get the key e.g. EP87702.
    The dealer is meant to ask for proof of ownerships before he hands over the key so bring your VLC (log book) along when ordering/collecting the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Its about €130/€150 for the key. You'll need your Vehicle registration cert, VIN number and 2 forms of ID to order a new key. Usually takes about 4 days for them to come in.

Are you worried about someone trying to use the stolen key? you should be able to get its code taken out of the EWS system, so it will still open the car but not start it. This can be done at the dealer, and they'll need the other keys for the car to try work out the stolen one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i got one from a guy in keanes on the naas road for my car a few months back.

155 euro, as above you need you vin number to order it and when collecting you need the log book and id (licence is ok).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Are you worried about someone trying to use the stolen key? you should be able to get its code taken out of the EWS system, so it will still open the car but not start it. This can be done at the dealer, and they'll need the other keys for the car to try work out the stolen one.

Even if you don't plan on replacing the spare key, you should, at the very least, go ahead with the above suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

not too worried about anyone trying the car with the key as there is nothing in the bag with an address or anything like that in it but just want to have a spare key knocking about as it is always handy. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement