Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removable/Detachable steering wheels

Options
  • 07-01-2008 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Where in Dublin can I buy all that is needed for this kind of installation?
    Is there any garage that does this kind of things?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

First question - do you have an airbag?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

Yes, I do, but I am willing to sacrifice it.

I need a way to discourage scumbags from stealing my JDM and I think that having a removeable driving wheel instead of a disklock might be a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

valdigre wrote: »

I need a way to discourage scumbags from stealing my JDM and I think that having a removeable driving wheel instead of a disklock might be a better idea.
    What's a JDM when it's at home?

JDM - Japanese Domestic Model, japanese import.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

have a look at motorsport shops... im pritty sure they have removing steering wheels... as a frind of mine has one in his rally car. murry motorsport in dublin is a shop ive used before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

have you considered just getting a good alarm like a Clifford Avant Guard. one with Blackjax so you have to input a code before driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    have you considered just getting a good alarm like a Clifford Avant Guard. one with Blackjax so you have to input a code before driving?
    Agree. You might live (or not) to regret removing your airbag. A good quality alarm is as good a deterant as any

colm_mcm wrote: »

I don't have the exact same alarm you described, but similar with an input code that has to be put before driving.

This hasn't stopped the young idiots from an attempt to steal the car.
    I guess alarms don't work on their imagination, and maybe when they see that there is no steering wheel, they will just leave...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

most will presume you've put the steering wheel in the boot.

I think a clifford alarm is a good deterrant. most scrotes have heard of them and know they're not worth the bother. Just get a disc lock if you're in any doubt.

I guess you're right, they might assume I keep the wheel in the boot...
    So I may as well leave a sticker on the window "Nope, it's not in the car"...

I guess I will consider the disklock as everyone seems to recommend it.
    Although I heard, that it can be bypassed in 5 minutes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Was considering getting a removable steering wheel myself (car has no airbag anyway) but id be afraid some retard would break in before he realised, causing damage out of frustration (not to mention the damage done getting in). If you catch someone damaging a car deliberately in any way it should be legal to nail them to the nearest tree :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I don't have the exact same alarm you described, but similar with an input code that has to be put before driving.

This hasn't stopped the young idiots from an attempt to steal the car.
    I guess alarms don't work on their imagination, and maybe when they see that there is no steering wheel, they will just leave...

Just but a huge thick chain with a big lock on it, most theives wouldn't bother their ass with the hassle. With the detachable steering wheel I think they can use a vice grips to steer (if thats the right tool)

Yes, but let's assume for the moment, that the thieves we are talking about are joyriders - they just want to take the car for the ride, ruin it, vandalise it and burn it... How much hassle do they want to have?

If there is no steering wheel, then they will not comfortably steer the car, so no fun.

The chain you bought on the other hand can be passed quite easily, they just cut the steering wheel in few places and remove the chain...

Another question.

What is the better solution:

1) Solid chain and padlock - wrap it around driving wheel and seats, or
    2) Disklock

Gardai and friends tell me that chain and padlock is a better idea.

What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Would such a mod cause you to fail the NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

it shouldent... airbags are not needed in the nct

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think there may be insurance ramifications in removing an airbag and fitting a snap off steering wheel.

I'd consult your insurer and get a reply in writing.

Ok, let's leave the idea of detachable steering wheel for the moment.

I am considering now 2 other solutions:

2) Disklock

Which one is better according to your experiences or what you heard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The Chain is the best provided it is a big chain and a big lock that cannot be cut easily. The disklocks can be defeated easily by scumbags, I won't say how but it is very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

My friends DC5 integra was recently stolen and had a discloc,the discloc was left where the car was shredded to pieces literally.

As for a chain and padlock,hacksaws eat steering wheels fairly quick!

For the removable wheel you can still drive the car with a vice grips,but if you still want it just pick out a nice wheel and get an attachable boss adapter for the specific boss kit for your wheel.

In saying the above,securitys all about layers,the more you make the harder to take/more chance of would be thief passing on to the next car.

• Advertisement

disklok_steering_lock_b.jpg

This stuff can be easily defeated? Damn, I read everywhere that it is a good deterrent.
    Now I am completely lost, I mean this is not going to be the only protection I have, but I am thinking about the first, best obvious deterrent on the driving wheel...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

disklok_steering_lock_b.jpg

This stuff can be easily defeated? Damn, I read everywhere that it is a good deterrent.
    Now I am completely lost, I mean this is not going to be the only protection I have, but I am thinking about the first, best obvious deterrent on the driving wheel...

Yeah thats a great lock. Major Detterent

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can get Thatcham approved disc locks, but I read recently where they are being investigate by trading standards in the UK for false advertising or not doing enough checks. The best thing is usually a big chain and lock, just wrap it around different parts of the wheel and hopefully they'll move onto something easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gay Nokia

Polish lads i work with were telling me that cars being stolen in Poland is massively profitable and very very regular. They say the best locks used over there are called "Bear Locks", my brother got one put into his car.

http://bearlockusa.com/_wsn/page2.html

My brother has the lock on the left hand side, its a bar that goes across the opening where the gear stick comes into the car and keeps the gear stick in reverse.

While its not exactly a visual deterint, there's no hope in hell of anyone sawing through it and you'd break the gear stick before it ever broke.

I haven't heard about the bear lock :D
    It's more like a preventer than a deterrent, though.

I need something to make the scums not want to break my door and get inside the car, instead of them damaging it, going inside and realizing, that they cannot take it... ;)

I haven't heard about the bear lock :D
    It's more like a preventer than a deterrent, though.

I need something to make the scums not want to break my door and get inside the car, instead of them damaging it, going inside and realizing, that they cannot take it... ;)

I agree. If they break in a find out they can't move it they'll do a lot of damage and maybe burn it out in front of your place. Better to have a visual deterrent so they don't try and get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Ok, let's leave the idea of detachable steering wheel for the moment.

I am considering now 2 other solutions:

2) Disklock

Which one is better according to your experiences or what you heard?

I would go with the big chain and padlock, that thing swinging over your head you could take out 2-3 of the scumbags, the disklock could only really smack 1 at a time. :D Kidding of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any other opinions? :D

Any other opinions? :D

Sell the JDM car and buy a European spec POS;)

• Advertisement

Actually that is the plan, if they try to do it one more time...

Advertisement