Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trip to Auschwitz

• 07-01-2008 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Im heading to Krakov end of Feb, with the purpose to visit Auschwitz. Does anyone have any tips/advice regarding photography there. I'll be bringing my D80 with 18-135mm kit lens and also the 12-24mm tokina wide lens. I don't know what to expect really regarding lighting conditions etc...also since i'm only new to DSLR photography I won't have too much experience when it comes to photo's in general.

has anyone been there? If so could you tell me the do's/don't that you'd recommend?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Don't take a group shot of people grinning like they're at Disneyland like I saw someone do there :(

I don't think you're allowed photograph at all inside the buildings (which are fairly dark even in the summer), I can't remember for certain but you are free to photograph anything from outdoors and there is a lot of good (but obviously harrowing) shots. It is a huge complex, it is broken into a couple of different camps. The older part of it is all huge brick buildings (including the crematoria) whereas the newer section at Birknau is mainly ruined shacks (and also where the train line used to go).

I found that waiting for a shot to be clear of people gave a better idea of the place and the bleakness, any tourists in shot make it look a bit like a movie set when it's anything but. It is impossible not to take an incredibly moving photo there. Some of my shots are on my flickr page (bottom of page 3 and some of page 4) if you want an idea of what to expect.

I don't know any specifics in terms of hardware as I'm new to "proper" photography too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

John wrote: »
    Don't take a group shot of people grinning like they're at Disneyland like I saw someone do there :(

I didn't see one grin on the other side of gas chamber.... some thought it was all fun and games until walking through that.....
    John wrote: »
    I don't think you're allowed photograph at all inside the buildings (which are fairly dark even in the summer), I can't remember for certain but you are free to photograph anything from outdoors and there is a lot of good (but obviously harrowing) shots.

Thats correct, photos outside only.... and I think you could take photos anywhere in Birkenau (the second camp , where most of killing took place)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I've been there many times.
    Well be ready for great experience. And strange experience. I would like to advise you to take lots of pictures of people.
    There are lots of things to photograph outdoors, so get ready to snow (+EV compensation), wide lenses appreciated.
    Indoors, it is very dark, so open your aperture.
    There is the camp outside and the older part with buildings with expositions.
    Certainly go to the barracks with the sorting and showers. There is wonderful room with lots of photographs. And there is black floor that reflects those photos.

But be ready for really dreadful and pushing experience. Don't worry if you don't get any picture at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Plan something really fun after Auschwitz! It's pretty tough going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Rojo wrote: »

I second that. I was there 3-4 years ago with camera and it didn't come out of the bag once. To be honest it didn't feel right to me to be taking photos, but that's just my opinion. The trip back to Krakow is fairly depressing after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

bovril wrote: »
    I second that. I was there 3-4 years ago with camera and it didn't come out of the bag once. To be honest it didn't feel right to me to be taking photos, but that's just my opinion. The trip back to Krakow is fairly depressing after it.

Agreed, it just wasn't right i felt. It opens your eyes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

bovril wrote: »

Phew, glad someone agrees! Thought people were gonna think I was loopy for suggesting that. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Rojo wrote: »

I recommend a good dinner and a walk around Krakow the evening after and then a trip to the salt mines the next day (you can do both in one day but you'll be wrecked).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

I'll second the salt mines, not to be missed. Krakow is a beautiful city so save some time for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Remember John's words, Auschwtitz is not Disneyland. That's the place of murder two Dublin populations. You would make Jewish people feeling offended.

Make sure there's no fee for taking pictures.

Oh and if you'll find some free time, visit Wieliczka Salt Mine.
    PICTURE 1
    PICTURE 2
    PICTURE 3

It's all made with salt!! The mine reaches down to a depth of 327 meters, and is over 300 km. long.

It's about one hour from Auchwitz MAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

+1 for the Salt Mines, stunning place, really amazing, and certainly some fantastic shots if you bring the right toys! As for Auschitz, def agree about it not feeling right to take shots. I did take some at Birkenau, off the gate, railway track etc, but even then it felt strange.

Doubt you would make the Salt Mines in the same day though, lots to see in both places, could be stuck for time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭pokeroptimist

i know this is a little off topic but did you guys use a tour guide when visiting Auschwitz or go on your own? I heard that tour guides just rush you along.

sorry for been off topic. Its just you guys would know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I did a tour it was arranged by the hostel I was staying in. There was a very informative guide around Auschwitz and Birkenau. I would say a guide is a must for Auschwitz as you get all the information/all the facts.

For the salt mines which I recommend too, I made my own way there by bus from the main bus station. On the way back we got one of those mini buses which are not the official public transport but they run you from the towns into the city for the same price etc. Keep an eye out for them stopping near the actual bus stops and ask them if they're going to Krakow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭templeathea

Went a long time ago, only took 1 shot of the main gate. That was enough for me, no photo could do justice to what happened there. I've also been to Dachau and the experience is very similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Went a long time ago, only took 1 shot of the main gate. That was enough for me, no photo could do justice to what happened there. I've also been to Dachau and the experience is very similar

Dachau itself is a beatiful little town over looked by a palace on the hill. Well worth the visit. When I was there last we drove by the camp and I got out for a little look. I'm not one for the paranormal or anything but I was hit with this strange feeling when I stood there :confused:

Strange place. As a previous poster said, its not Disneyland. Have some respect if you do take some pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭templeathea

KTRIC wrote: »
    Dachau itself is a beatiful little town over looked by a palace on the hill. Well worth the visit. When I was there last we drove by the camp and I got out for a little look. I'm not one for the paranormal or anything but I was hit with this strange feeling when I stood there :confused:

Strange place. As a previous poster said, its not Disneyland. Have some respect if you do take some pics.

What really struck me about Dachau was how clean and ordered it was. It seemed like the Hell of Sartre rather than Dante

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

i know this is a little off topic but did you guys use a tour guide when visiting Auschwitz or go on your own? I heard that tour guides just rush you along.

sorry for been off topic. Its just you guys would know.

hi, just back from krakow on saturday last,did the auschwitz tour on friday.
    a group of 10 of us decided to take the guided tour when we got there
    and we were very happy that we did.
    our tour guide was a wealth of knowledge and the tour lasted over 3 hours.
    there was certainly no rush,he explained everything in detail and more,
    this guy seemed to be very dedicated to the whole expierience and not just a guide.
    we were allowed to take pics outside as many as we wanted but inside photos are not allowed.
    you can buy little books at the main camp with the photos you might have missed.
    personally i think that you should be allowed take pics inside also,some of the buildings are slowly crumbling and one day they will be gone forever.
    ok this is not disneyland but we all need to remember this place and the awful inhumane things that happened here.
    we owe it the victims to show as many as possible the photos and videos.
    just my own opinion.
    maybe the people who run the place should take a set of photos of all the
    stuff inside and sell a booklet containing all the pics.
    this way you would be able to share the expierience with your children and others.

Agree with you daveob007. Some famous said ones that those who don't know the history are obligated to repeat it. Memory above all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

A freind of mine went there some years ago & took all his pictures in B&W. That was in the film camera days, so consider taking some in B&W. It adds to the feeling of the place sometimes better than colour images.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This is somewhere I must go to visit sometime. I know that in my family history there are relatives who were murdered in that regime. I do not have names or places.

I think the reason that Photography is not allowed in so many places is mainly because of Flash. If you are there & caught in the horror of what happened a flash going off would make it all feel more like an entertainment.

If I were to go I would probably take photographs as it's the way I express myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Pretty much agree with what everybody else said, went to Krakow in april of last year, great city very relaxed and easy to get around on foot. Regarding Auschwitz we too we very lucky with our guide she was very informative and passionate (if that the right word). I didn't goo too mad on taking photos but generally when the group moved I stayed back and took too a few (I've put a few on my flickr). Got a bit of an eerie feeling

Birkenau is really where it hit home in that you are so close to where the atrocities happened and your physically walking over the same ground as the victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

when i was there last week it was freezing with snow all over and a dense fog.
    it really made the place look more eerie.
    just imagine hoe those people felt with little food and only the striped clothes they were made to wear.
    i will go back again in a few years and bring my kids to see this place,the youngest is only 7 so not ready for it yet.
    also want to visit dachau and belsin.
    the trip is a must for anyone.
    you would be surprised how many people especcially younger ones who never heard about auschwitz.
    thats why we must teach our children about these places.
    history of ww2 taught in schools is more political and strategic and all about names and dates etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I wa there 3 years back. It was the sunniest day of our holiday; made everything more weird.

But to be honest, once you get inside you don't want to take pictures. There's something weird about the place. Maybe it's just that everyone is so quiet, respectful and courteous, but you get the impression that taking pictures, just isn't 'necessary'; You'll not really want to look at these pictures again IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I agree that it doesn't seem appropriate to take photos. So many people had their cameas out and just seemed too 'keen' to snap away rather than listening to what was beind said and taking it all in.

I took just the one when I was there:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/2781982651/

I agree that it doesn't seem appropriate to take photos. So many people had their cameas out and just seemed too 'keen' to snap away rather than listening to what was beind said and taking it all in.

I took just the one when I was there:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/2781982651/
    It was the last view on freedom for many who didn't survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

some really interesting photos and info about Auschwitz today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7842671.stm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This thread has got me motivated.

Going to book a few days there soon.

I must get to Gallipoli too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Am also interested in going to Kracow, can anyone recommend a good tour company to book with or is it easy to organise an independent trip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just spotted this on the BBC News website, take a look and note that there are four tabs at the top of the page: 'Slide Show', 'Who Pays', 'Debate' and 'Aerial Views'. The slide show lasts 3:51 and has an audio commentary by a guy from the Auschwitz Museum outlining the difficulties of preserving the place intact.

The former Nazi death camp of Auschwitz-Birkenau, where more than a million people were killed in World War II, faces an uncertain future.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7842671.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

I was also in Auschwitz a couple of years ago. Visiting the camp is a hugely emotional experience. When on the ground, the thought of taking pictures seemed almost disrespectful.

Recently I saw this photo essay in the PPAI by one of the contributors. It conveys some of the starkness of the place.

http://landyphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/2333610_A6xDz#123843316_6yzup-A-LB

I wonder how many Irish have lost their lives there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Auschwitz is actually a very sad place ,I felt like I was at a funeral. Its a must see . People are actually very quiet around the camp .I took photos but with no one posing . I see it as disrespectful posing under the main gate smiling with a bag of chips.

I went on a saturday didn't actually feel like going out clubbing that night.It's definetely food for a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

I don't think think its that unreasonable to bring you camera if you are going.
    In fairness we all know what happened there and if it wasn't for images - still or moving - would we actually be that motivated to see it for ourselves??

I think it should be recorded by any means. I would say it was more disrespectful to turn it into a museum in the first place - after that its fair game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

mrboswell wrote: »
    I don't think think its that unreasonable to bring you camera if you are going.
    In fairness we all know what happened there and if it wasn't for images - still or moving - would we actually be that motivated to see it for ourselves??

I think it should be recorded by any means. I would say it was more disrespectful to turn it into a museum in the first place - after that its fair game...

Its not a museum its a
    cemetery or memorial.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

BumbleB wrote: »
    Its not a museum its a
    cemetery or memorial.

It is a museum. It is many things and museum is one of them. Officially declared as State Museum by the Polish government.

I agree it's not very photogenic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I disagree. We have created wonderful collection that was exhibited quite a few times just from Auschwitz. Once you understand the place, you cannot stop taking pictures. 12 - 15 rolls of film per visit, that was my usual score.
    But it is true, thatI brought only one or two keepers from my first visit there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It is a memorial and a museum.
    There is no fee for photography in either of the memorial sites, but they do request that people be sensitive and photography is not permitted inside any of the buildings in Auschwitz I.
    Photography is permitted anywhere in Auschwitz II (Birkenau).

If you're going to the salt mines, there is a nominal fee there for photography. I think it's about 10 zl - not much anyway. Well worth it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I just never seem to click with the place.
    Mind you in saying that my first visit (about '81) I was using a Kodak 28mm and the still look good. Roundy corner processing and all. But as an adult I just bombed out (photography wise) every other time. I kinda put it in the same bracket as Paris for photos...I seldom get much there either. I suppose it's just a matter of how the individual connects with the place.

Advertisement