Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 hours of study per week?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

That is not even nearly enough if you actually want to do well.

3 hours a night including homework = Stupidity.

There's 1 post between yours and ZorbaTehZ's ffs

ONE GLOVE DOES NOT ALL FIT

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Sd is studying medicine at Trinity.

I didn't. And I got 590.
    JC 2K3 (above) got 570 points.

As someone said already, one glove does not fit all.

WOW.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Sd is studying medicine at Trinity.

I didn't. And I got 590.
    JC 2K3 (above) got 570 points.

As someone said already, one glove does not fit all.

Well, that was a burn! Thanks for that ZORBA (Private joke) :)
    Haven't been on the LC forum in a while.

Overheal wrote: »
    What were your points? No prize pig I'm guessing.

Ye, Whatever, like if you want to get childish, go ahead, but I only gave my honest opinion, at the end of the day, actions speak louder than words! and if you really want to know my LC points, i think i posted it up here before and you can find it for yourself...
    Overheal wrote:
    Children, 3 hours of study is what you should be at. Lets be serious. Now you can do the cram thing but its not recommended. Cramming involves a lot of strategy - guesstimating what will come up and learning to recite data like a parrot. Its a gamble. Its too early in the year to be thinking about.

Get yourself into your afternoon study classes: dont worry a whole lot about fitting every subject into that 3 hours. If you want to get meaningful study done on a subject in my opinion you'll spend at least 1 hour per subject. However if you find yourself being completely unproductive studying one subject - switch to another. Don't stare at a physics definition for 3 hours assuming that if you read the text forwards and backwards something that you are having trouble understanding will magically pop: if you find yourself stuck like that longer than 15-20 minutes: then move on. Note the problem to ask your teacher the next day.

TBH, you shouldn't leave everything to cramming but I'd rather risk cramming than doing such a ridiculous amount of work every single night, like wtf?
    overheal wrote:
    I got 410 points studying 3-5 hours a day average with 8-10 hours per day in the 2-3 weeks surrounding exams.

Trying to approach that statement PC'ly but i can't.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 foxayladaykenoa

I did the leaving last year and got 500.

I was quite sick for the year and most of my teachers were ****e so I stayed at home from March onwards (not recommending this or anything as the school thing seems to work for most people) and finished the course work and revised on my own.

Anyway I don't think setting an exact amount of time is a good idea. Instead I set out topics I wanted to get covered for each day, and the latest I would stay up is 11pm.

I'd get up at 9am and study until 12.30 then take around and hour or two. Stopped to watch Home and Away and snack at 6.30 then go back at it.

I found this a great way because most days I would actually be finished revising/doing all exam questions etc by around 8pm or earlier and I'd have the evening free to meet my other half etc!

Not saying this is an ideal way to do it, but it worked for me. I know for a fact I wouldn't have done as well if I had stayed in school all day during those last few months, I just think 4pm is too late to only be starting intensive study!

A study timetable of topics you need to get covered by June is the best way to do it! Tick them off as you do it!! Of course the night before cramming is the last piece of the puzzle.

Anyhow that's my opinion and I got bang on 500 which is what I'd aimed for!!

Good Luck in the pre's and that guys!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

lawlz. *applauds sd, zorba and JC* you guys rock :)

As said before, concentrate on how much to get done, not how long to take doing it. Logically, the people who recomend long study hours, are just people who study slowly and you don't want to listen to them now do ya'?

I hear an awful lot of people quoting big study numbers and lamenting the nights out they'll have to miss out on. The LC starts to look quite horrible, terrifying even. Insurmountable. That is exactly the right time to give yourself a good slap on the face. No matter how bad it seems, thousands of people no different than you do the LC every year, and they survive!

If you are worried about the big bad LC, stop worrying and start doing, take a look at the syllabi (or syllabuses as oxford would probably recommend) and decide how much you need to get done on a weekly basis between now and then. Now see how long it takes you to do the thing for this week, then you'll know how bad it is. Remember, you can do this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

3 hours a night isnt much? jaysus..I'm only in 5th year so I better make use of my free time and actually go out cos when I'm in 6th year I'm gonna have a hard time.

Yeah, i wouldn't do that if i were you. if i could go back to fifth year, i would have spent a little more time studying and less time doing ****-all.

doing a little study and organizing good notes etc in fifth year is the best prep for the leaving IMO. it makes sixth year SO much easier if you know the fifth year part of the course well. so don't relax too much or you really wont have any free time in 6th year. my mums screaming at me to do some study now, so i gtg. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 83,525 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sd123 wrote: »
    TBH, you shouldn't leave everything to cramming but I'd rather risk cramming than doing such a ridiculous amount of work every single night, like wtf?

As many others have called me on: 3 hours a week is really not that much at all. But by all means - we're all just here trying to help you out, feel free to ignore as much advice as you want. I don't think you'll find any graduates here that will advise relying on cramming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

From my experience, I attended school everyday paid as much attention as i could and did my homework for all of 5th year and most of 6th year.

Then for April/May/June I supplemented that with study as well and managed to get 525.

You need to plan out your study and have a timetable, if you don`t then it makes life unnecessarily hard fgr yourself.
    Try as best you can to enjoy the subjets you are doing, and when doing study or homework, do your second favourite first, your least favourite then.... then your favourite. It does make it easier.

It does certainly make it worthwhile when you come out in August with the leaving you wanted, I am having to quote it now applying for job and im in 4th year of college.
    Finally, its not the be all and end all, but it certainly does matter, and you should really make the effort to do yourself justice.
    I'd also encourage people to keep one form of extra-curricular activity like rugby/soccer something thats gets you out of the house as its a welcome break from the books.

Also just to say, a small bit of organising goes an awful long way - make life as easy as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

Personally, i think it very much depends on the person. In 6th year, i didnt do ANYTHING before xmas, after that i started building it up, hour night, 2/3....etc. really though, i just set myself an agenda of what to study in the week, and did that. if i studied it efficiently and had time to spar, i didnt worry....each to their own. I ended up with 420 btw...quite pleased:)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

When I was in 6th year, I studied from 7pm till 2 am every day from march till june. This is not including saturdays & sundays. And 2 last weeks before the LC when I was head down from 9 am to 2 pm. 490 points and b1 in honors Math :)
    Do as much as possible, it'll all come back to you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I got drunk a lot in 6th year, and got an A1 in honours maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Well, may be you are unbelievably gifted. Say thanks to God.

PS.. I drunk a lot too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

lol, point being, all this "I did x amount of study per day" crap is as pointless as me asserting a link between my alcohol consumption in 6th year and my grade in maths. At the end of the day, the people reading this advice aren't really going to heed it, they'll come up with their own study method and will be preaching its virtues on this forum this time next year.

7pm to 2am every night is ludicrous though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mr.fox

7pm to 2am every night is ludicrous though.
    Well. I don't sleep much anyway.. thats my nature.
    I was working all fifth year and half 6th. So i did not open a single book until after mocks really. Thats why I did so much study. To learn two year program in a few months :)

:D Ever done maths while drunk? :rolleyes:

One of the limitations of the LC, an A1 for a 6 hour exam, with little or no work. It annoys me to see so many people studying their ass off while having little or no natural ability at the subject. Those people who don't understand what they're writing but has learned off a sentence word for word from a phy book without knowig what the fcuk it means.... It'll get you through LC but you will find it harder in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

sd123 wrote: »
    :D Ever done maths while drunk? :rolleyes:

One of the limitations of the LC, an A1 for a 6 hour exam, with little or no work. It annoys me to see so many people studying their ass off while having little or no natural ability at the subject. Those people who don't understand what they're writing but has learned off a sentence word for word from a phy book without knowig what the fcuk it means.... It'll get you through LC but you will find it harder in college.
    What do you want them to do?

Not study and do badly?

I think fair play to them, it's not easy studying something for a long time when you don't understand. I should know, I do Honours Maths. :p

Timans wrote: »
    What do you want them to do?

Not study and do badly?

I think fair play to them, it's not easy studying something for a long time when you don't understand. I should know, I do Honours Maths. :p

Well, the fact of the matter is that you should take more time to actually understand something or look at wikipedia or other resources. This time spent understanding concepts will save you an awful lot of time learning things off by heart that make no sense to you, and tbh, I believe that is the point of the LC. What good is someone who got an A1 in PHY (for example) if they don't understand anything about it. It would be assumed by an employer (for argument's sake) that they had a good knowledge of the subject with good reasoning and logical skills. This would simply not be the case with rote-learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Well, I doubt a person who has no understanding of a subject is going to try and pursue a career in it, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Not to disagree with the point of "understanding things makes it easier to learn", that's an extremely valid point...
    But wikipedia tends to complicate mathematical (and many other) issues wildly. As in, it goes into far more detail than is necessary for LC.
    That said, there should be SOME online resources that can explain things simply enough, or even, shockingly enough, helpful people.

I have respect for people who can sit down and put in long hours of hard work. I mean, if you don't have a natural aptitude and you can work hard enough to get good grades, that's admirable.

Advertisement