Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assement test for mature students?

Options
  • 07-01-2008 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

A friend of mine would like to apply for Nursing or something similar, I can't remember, in a Dublin university as a mature student.
    She does not have a leaving cert., so apparently she needs to do an assessment.

What is that? An interview? Written exam?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

Joza wrote: »
    A friend of mine would like to apply for Nursing or something similar, I can't remember, in a Dublin university as a mature student.
    She does not have a leaving cert., so apparently she needs to do an assessment.

What is that? An interview? Written exam?
    Hi

She has to apply through the CAO and the deadline is in February - not sure what date but think it is at the end of the month! There is a charge for this and it seems to be easier to apply on line - she should go to her local Adult Education Centre to see their Career Guidance section who will be able to advice her more fully than I can!

Once she has applied she will be called for a test (aptitude) and they (the college you have applied to) usually give sample tests to practice beforehand! Then they give you the results and an interview is scheduled - to the best of my knowledge both the aptitude and interview is used to pick student for the mature places!

Good luck to her and hope this helps her!

Best wishes,

blue shimmering

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Your best bet is to contact the admissions office of the institute you want to apply for. Am currently applying to University of Limerick and mature students have to go through them directly as opposed to filling out the CAO form. LIT applicants go through the CAO whether they are mature or normal aged students.

As I have said, it is best to ring the college before handing out the 35 or 45 euro to the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Your best bet is to contact the admissions office of the institute you want to apply for. Am currently applying to University of Limerick and mature students have to go through them directly as opposed to filling out the CAO form. LIT applicants go through the CAO whether they are mature or normal aged students.

As I have said, it is best to ring the college before handing out the 35 or 45 euro to the CAO.

If someone wants to do nursing or midwifery, the college will immediately refer them to the NCC (Nursing Careers Centre). They carry out all of the assessments and interviews. I went through this system last year and am now a Student Midwife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 niallo87

embee wrote: »
    If someone wants to do nursing or midwifery, the college will immediately refer them to the NCC (Nursing Careers Centre). They carry out all of the assessments and interviews. I went through this system last year and am now a Student Midwife.

Hi how long ago was this ?? :) I would like to apply for midwifery next year as a mature student. Do you know what the assesment involves? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

This is an old thread.

Closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement