Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homes Urgently Needed

Options
  • 07-01-2008 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi All,
    I have two 3year old beagle/collie x's, and unfortunately due to family circumstances, I have to rehome them.

They are neutered and vaccinated.

Finkle: is a little black dog who looks very much like a collie. He is full of fun and energy, but may not react well with other dogs.

Fyvish: is a little red dog who looks uncannily like a fox. He would love nothing more than a long walk and a rest after by the fire.

Although they are together now, they would do well apart and would make great family pets.

I have contacted any rescue centres in the area with a no kill policy, but I desperately need to find them new homes soon.
    Although, I'm based in Waterford, I would be willing to bring the dogs just about anywhere if it meant they got a good home.

I will post in the sticky also, but I'm hoping more people will see my plea in the main thread.

I will post pictures as soon as I can.

If anyone is interested, or knows someone else who may be, then please pm me.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 finkwad

just bumping this up...please help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I think the best way to find new carers for your pets is to post on donedeal.ie - many puppy farmers use this site but to sell 'pedigree' dogs but you can place an advert there and hope someone sees it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Not sure about donedeal.ie but try posting on www.irishanimals.com, preferably with photographs.
    Hope you get sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Also put them on Irish Animals and Petsireland, if there is a rescue in your area you could also ask them to list the dogs on their website.

fits wrote: »
    Not sure about donedeal.ie but try posting on www.irishanimals.com, preferably with photographs.
    Hope you get sorted.

If you post on donedeal it links to irishdogs.ie which is pretty popular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Finkwad? What is the change in family circumstances? Decided to move abroad, have kids? Isn't the dog a part of your family? Would you hand your kids to a stranger because they no longer fit into your family? Isn't there any way you can keep them, dogs are very very adaptable. Please look at your options.

Thanks everyone for all the replies...I'll get onto those sites asap.

Helena, the decision we've made to rehome the dogs has already been a very emotional one for all concerned, I came on here asking for advice from people, not to give busybodies a chance to get on their moral highhorse about what I have to do. Believe me, if their was any other way, then the dogs would be staying put but it's just not possible. We are not taking this decision lightly and we are trying our best to ensure the dogs get the best (long) life possible

Finkwad, I am not being a busy body, there was no offence intended, but i work with a rescue centre and the amount of animals PTS because of "family circumstances" is amazing. I'm sure you didn't take the decision lightly, I didn't suggest you are doing it on the spur of the moment I am simply making sure there is no other option. Because if not then we might be able to get your dogs into foster homes if they need to go immediately. (See I was trying to help) By saying "(long) life" is this a suggestion of them having to be PTS if homes are not found?

Helena, sorry for getting on my own 'high horse'...as I'm sure you can appreciate I'm finding it really hard to deal with the whole thing, so I'm a bit sensitive.

Having the dogs pts if the very last thing I want to happen which is why I'm trying to find all other alternatives.
    If you could help with rehoming them I would be immensely grateful.
    You can contact me with your details at finkwad@yahoo.ie
    I'll be posting up photos later on tonight, if you need to get an idea of their size etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

May I ask what the change in family circumstances are?

• Advertisement

Finkwad, I can appreciate your distress. Can you please get pics up and PM me where you are, when the dogs need to go by and whay it is so urgent to get rid of your dogs now. There are a couple of things that I might be able to help with, but it depends entirely on how quickly you need to get the dogs out of there and how much input you are willing to have in the rehoming process (ie paying kennel fees while we find a home etc)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22644519@N04/

Hi, here is a link to some photos of the dogs.
    Let me know if it doesn't work.

Lovely dogs, best of luck finding new homes for them

Beautiful dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

kerrysgold wrote: »
    May I ask what the change in family circumstances are?

Does it matter?

Maybe not for the fact that the dogs will have to be rehomed or PTS. end of story, but I suppose it matters if say for example the dog has agressive tendandcies towards kids and the OP has a baby beginning to crawl. Or maybe if the dog has recently taken to chewing everything and the op is moving and doesn't want her house destroyed. I would imagine the reason for the need for rehoming will be very important to any potential adopters.

I'm reluctant to post here our reasons on giving up our dogs - I've seen it happen where other posters use these kind of cases to argue/debate issues and beliefs in how things should be done.
    If anyone has any advice/help, then I'll happily pm or e-mail them with the details they are looking for...

bump

bump

Finkwad, Were these dogs rescues? I believe from Last Hope?

• Advertisement

Hi Helena,

We did get the dogs from Lasthope(in Navan) but they didn't really class them as rescues as they were only about 12 weeks old when we got them.

Excuse me?? A dog from a charity is a rescue regardless of age.

Finkwad I will help you because these dogs are obviously caught up in a cycle of abandonment. But I cannot express my anger strongly enough. A lot of time and money were put into these dogs as pups, by people , with no funding but their own cash, their own time, their own emotions. You promised to give these dogs a good home when you adopted them and now they have to go?? I wont post your reason here but suffice to say it's not a very good one.

I am assuming you signed forms for Last Hope? If so please find them and check if they said anything about dogs being returned to the charity if they were being rehomed as I dont want to step on peoples toes.

I know the woman who rehomed them to you and she is so upset. She feels like she has failed these dogs.We will have your dogs on dogsindistress.org later today and I will send you the link.

I would also recommend that you never even consider owning a dog again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Are you not supposed to inform the rescue if you cannot keep the dogs so that they can make alternative arrangements?

Well, when we were getting the dogs I asked were they rescue dogs, what situation they had come from whether it would have any effect on their behaviou, and I was told that they weren't really rescue dogs, that they were a litter of puppies being rehomed once they were born.
    I don't know much of the terminologies etc used so sorry if I've offended anyone by saying they weren't rescue dogs...

Toulouse,if you are then I wasn't aware of that - we've had them a number of years now - I'll try get in touch with the charity and see ehat they say.

Have you contacted LastHope about these dogs?

Edited: That would be a good place to start alright.

As far as I'm aware it's only 3 years since they were rehomed (although my dates could be a bit out)

The woman who fostered them and loved them as her own for 12 weeks, then rehomed them to you, is now working with DID. So if Last Hope cant help I'm sure we'll find something. Anneka looks like a good bet too!

I've forwarded this thread to a girl I know of who's been doing great work for LastHope.

Hopefully their next home will be their forever home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 ruimar

helena, i think you are being very hard on finkwad. I have read this thread and I feel that finkwad is only doing this as a last resort. I think we should respect the decision and not ridicule it. You may feel that finwads reasons to rehome the dogs are not good ones, but its not your decision. Unless you are in finwads position you are not really in any position to comment. I was once in the same position as finwad and its terrible! I think constantly about the dog, but I know what I did was for the benefit of the dog. If finkwad didnt care then im sure finkwad would not have gone to so much trouble and put up with this battering. I think we should help finwad any support finwad in what im sure is an emotional time.

• Advertisement

Thanks rumar! I was beginning to feel a bit set upon there...it's good to get a little support before I burst into tears:(

Advertisement