Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homes Urgently Needed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Have to say I;m with the unpopular opinion here.

I don't know the specific case so I can't comment on that but as an animal welfare worker I am SICK and tired of couples coming in with the same old worn out 'we are having a baby so we need to rehome our dog' - My normal response is 'so if you have another baby will you be giving this one away?'.

Do people not realise that some people have dogs AND children?

It's typical of our Celtic Tiger throw away society.

Again I stress finkwad I don't know your personal situation so this is no comment on you just my own observations on people I have dealt with. Best of luck with finding new homes for the doggies. They are beauties.

Have to say I;m with the unpopular opinion here.

I don't know the specific case so I can't comment on that but as an animal welfare worker I am SICK and tired of couples coming in with the same old worn out 'we are having a baby so we need to rehome our dog' - My normal response is 'so if you have another baby will you be giving this one away?'.

Do people not realise that some people have dogs AND children?

It's typical of our Celtic Tiger throw away society.

Again I stress finkwad I don't know your personal situation so this is no comment on you just my own observations on people I have dealt with. Best of luck with finding new homes for the doggies. They are beauties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

If i understand correctly, the OP is about to have a child.

Im not a parent yet, but hopefully some day - need to find a woman first! - anyhow.. if this is their first child and they have 2 adult dogs, that only the OP knows the personalities of, i can 150% understand their concerns as RESPONSIBLE PARENTS. I dont need to explain to people how much i love dogs, but if the parents fear for ONE SECOND that there is a risk to their baby, nobody has the right to judge them, and infact i believe when there is any doubt to the safety to their baby they have made the correct decision.

Comments such as 'so if you have another baby will you be giving this one away?' are just cheap shots and in effect pointless.
    Where will you be to answer if one of these dogs takes a bite at the infant child? If there is one person here that can put their hand up and tell me that the safety of a child and the welfare of an animal are of equal importance, i suggest you seek help.

There are ppl with children and dogs, but in many cases there can be space and time to moniter the situation, the bottom line is you people dont know the full details.

And while i do appreciate you guys care for dogs, i think you are not helping the OP's or any OP's claims by your attitude and to be honest it would encourage more ppl to abandon dog rather than seek the help off welfare shelters if its a common situation that jusgment is passed on people like this.

People do take a dog with the best intentions, but things change. The OP didnt come asking for a judgment and stated it clearly a number of times.

I think its a shame, but reality is a bitch, and i understand the OPs stiuation.

Perhaps when welfare shelters search for a new home for a dog, check that the woman is either infertile or gone through the menopause. Because god forbid she might have a child someday and have concerns for its safety.

snyper wrote: »
    If i understand correctly, the OP is about to have a child.

Im not a parent yet, but hopefully some day - need to find a woman first! - anyhow.. if this is their first child and they have 2 adult dogs, that only the OP knows the personalities of, i can 150% understand their concerns as RESPONSIBLE PARENTS. I dont need to explain to people how much i love dogs, but if the parents fear for ONE SECOND that there is a risk to their baby, nobody has the right to judge them, and infact i believe when there is any doubt to the safety to their baby they have made the correct decision.

Comments such as 'so if you have another baby will you be giving this one away?' are just cheap shots and in effect pointless.
    Where will you be to answer if one of these dogs takes a bite at the infant child? If there is one person here that can put their hand up and tell me that the safety of a child and the welfare of an animal are of equal importance, i suggest you seek help.

There are ppl with children and dogs, but in many cases there can be space and time to moniter the situation, the bottom line is you people dont know the full details.

And while i do appreciate you guys care for dogs, i think you are not helping the OP's or any OP's claims by your attitude and to be honest it would encourage more ppl to abandon dog rather than seek the help off welfare shelters if its a common situation that jusgment is passed on people like this.

People do take a dog with the best intentions, but things change. The OP didnt come asking for a judgment and stated it clearly a number of times.

I think its a shame, but reality is a bitch, and i understand the OPs stiuation.

Perhaps when you search for a new home for a dog, check that the woman is either infertile or gone through the menopause. Because god forbid she might have a child someday and have concerns for its safety.

I think if you re-read my post you will see that I have said I don't know the posters situation.

I'm referring to cases I've been involved in where, yes, I am fully aware of the situation as I have homed the dogs in the first place and I am free to comment on my own experience.

We're all entitled to our opinion here. Just because you don't agree with mine doesn't make me wrong and you right or vice versa.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Snyper, the OP had a child as far as I know when she adopted the dogs so knew what was involved in raising a child. (please correct me if I am wrong about you having a child finkwad, I could be wrong). It is fair enough to say situation has changed with another pregnancy but my point is she should have thought of that before saying she could look after these dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 ruimar

Everyone has an opinion, thats the beauty of free will. I have to say that I agree with snyper on this one. We have no choice but to accept the OP's decision, we cannot change it and its not our place to. Having a baby is a huge thing. Maybe she will not have time to walk the dog, play with the dog and generally not be able to devote the time required to care for the dog as she will have her hands full 100% of the time with a newborn. Would you prefer the dog to be neglected, left alone, bored in a small backyard or be rehomed??? I know which one I would prefer. You would berate someone for mistreating a dog, the OP cant win no matter what she does.

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    I think if you re-read my post you will see that I have said I don't know the posters situation.

I'm referring to cases I've been involved in where, yes, I am fully aware of the situation as I have homed the dogs in the first place and I am free to comment on my own experience.

We're all entitled to our opinion here. Just because you don't agree with mine doesn't make me wrong and you right or vice versa.

:)

I wasnt referring particularly to yourself, i was referring to what i see in general as the type of thing i have come to see here.. i used ur remark because it was juicy ;)

We're all entitled to our opinion here]

Essentially thats my point "People" are giving their opinions on things that are not addressing the OP's query, rather the opinions are on the OP themselves.

Im more angry with ppl that abuse and mistreat or abandon animals, rather than perople that seek advice on how to find a new home for a dog.

I'm sorry if i came across as personally attacking the OP, was not my intention. I was speaking about her "situation" and her ability to accept the responsibility she put on herself

Its so easy to know you have no kids helena. Im sorry, but if you had kids you would be able to relate more to this situation. Ultimately, kids are far more important than dogs.

Its so easy to know you have no kids helena. Im sorry, but if you had kids you would be able to relate more to this situation. Untimately, kids are far more important than dogs.

• Advertisement

I was speaking about her "situation" and her ability to accept the responsibility she put on herself

i understand, and i appreciate that, however, as i said.. thats`not the advice she was looking for. She is a responsible person in my eyes and there are too many people that would "shoot" or "stray" the animals. The OP is not part of the problem.

snyper wrote: »
    I wasnt referring particularly to yourself, i was referring to what i see in general as the type of thing i have come to see here.. i used ur remark because it was juicy ;)

Essentially thats my point "People" are giving their opinions on things that are not addressing the OP's query, rather the opinions are on the OP themselves.

Im more angry with ppl that abuse and mistreat or abandon animals, rather than perople that seek advice on how to find a new home for a dog.

Fair enough :D

this thread is really straying from the original point.....how about some positive posts???

ruimar wrote: »
    this thread is really straying from the original point.....how about some positive posts???

I hear we're getting some sunshine this weekend :D

good dog walking weather :)

ruimer, i cant relate, i said that and i understand that, but the fact remains that she knew what was involved when taking this on.

Snypr, here we will have to agree to disagree, IMO the OP is the problem. When you take responsibility for a dog you are part of all of their triumphs and problems.

I just had my two out for their first walk beyond "back yard land" they hated it. And we got soaked.

I just had my two out for their first walk beyond "back yard land" they hated it. And we got soaked.

In my opinion the "situation" the OP is in is the problem, not her. Things arent black and white, we must accept that circumstances change. Its part of life. I must admit my opinion of people working in/for dog homes has changes as a result of this thread. Maybe I shouldnt tar everyone with the same brush, im sure there are nice ones out there too.

• Advertisement

Ruimer, I'm sure there are nic ones out there, I am obviously, as far as you are concerned, not one of them. I would prefer to be a "cold bitch" as was so eloquently put by finkwad, than someone who thinks dogs are disposable when they become surplus to needs. In fact I would imagine most people involved with rescue, or any responsible dog owner, would feel the same way as I do.

Can I get something very clear ruimer, just so that we dont have to keep going around in circles, I accept that circumstances change. And I accept that sometimes you have to give up a dog. But in this case it was a forseable change. A young married woman has a baby is not a huge suprise or an unforseable change in circumstance. My issue is why she took the dogs in the first place when she knew very well this could happen.

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Love&Light

:D
    Please help! After two long years of being on a waiting list for a dog, we have been notified by breed rescue that, at long last, our number has come up and ... WE ARE HAVING A PUPPY!

We must get rid of our children IMMEDIATELY because we just know how time consuming our new little puppy is going to be and it just wouldn't be fair to the children. Since our little puppy will be arriving on Monday we MUST place the children up for adoption this weekend!

They are described as:
    One male -- his name is Tommy, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), light blonde hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition. He doesn't bite. Temperament tested. Does have problems with peeing directly in the toilet. Has had chicken Pox and is current on all shots. Tonsils have already been removed. Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained and gets along well with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little training he should be able to read soon.

One female -- her name is Lexie, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), strawberry blonde hair, green eyes, quite freckled. Two years old. Can be surly at times. Non-biter, thumb sucker. Has been temperament tested but needs a little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy and can be affectionate. Gets along well with other little girls and little boys but does not like to share her toys and therefore would do best in a one child household. She is a very quick learner and is currently working on her house training. Shouldn't take long at all.

We really do LOVE our children so much and want to do what's right for them. That is why we contacted a rescue group. But we simply can no longer keep them. Also, we are afraid that they may hurt our new puppy. I hope you understand that ours is a UNIQUE situation and we have a real emergency here! They MUST be placed into your rescue by Sunday night at the latest or we will be forced to drop them off at the orphanage or along some dark, country road. Our priority now has to be our new puppy.

:D:D:D
    Love&Light wrote: »
    :D
    Please help! After two long years of being on a waiting list for a dog, we have been notified by breed rescue that, at long last, our number has come up and ... WE ARE HAVING A PUPPY!

We must get rid of our children IMMEDIATELY because we just know how time consuming our new little puppy is going to be and it just wouldn't be fair to the children. Since our little puppy will be arriving on Monday we MUST place the children up for adoption this weekend!

They are described as:
    One male -- his name is Tommy, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), light blonde hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition. He doesn't bite. Temperament tested. Does have problems with peeing directly in the toilet. Has had chicken Pox and is current on all shots. Tonsils have already been removed. Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained and gets along well with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little training he should be able to read soon.

One female -- her name is Lexie, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), strawberry blonde hair, green eyes, quite freckled. Two years old. Can be surly at times. Non-biter, thumb sucker. Has been temperament tested but needs a little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy and can be affectionate. Gets along well with other little girls and little boys but does not like to share her toys and therefore would do best in a one child household. She is a very quick learner and is currently working on her house training. Shouldn't take long at all.

We really do LOVE our children so much and want to do what's right for them. That is why we contacted a rescue group. But we simply can no longer keep them. Also, we are afraid that they may hurt our new puppy. I hope you understand that ours is a UNIQUE situation and we have a real emergency here! They MUST be placed into your rescue by Sunday night at the latest or we will be forced to drop them off at the orphanage or along some dark, country road. Our priority now has to be our new puppy.

har har...

I' swap you my pup for the older one. Or is it not responsible of me to have a higher value placed on a child over an animal?

Is she house trained?

Anyway.. this thread is gone to sh1t.. im done with it.

:) hehehehehhee . You shouldnt of had any children if you knew you were going to get a dog in the future, damn irresponsible people these days.

ruimar wrote: »
    :) hehehehehhee . You shouldnt of had any children if you knew you were going to get a dog in the future, damn irresponsible people these days.

LOL I agree totally

i dont :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Love&Light

Out with the old ..... in with the new, kids grew bigger than I expected, I didn't train them too well, house got smaller.......

:p

• Advertisement

arghhhhhhhhhhh....time to close this thread, it could go on forever. please, someone close it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement