Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Question: Can I bring 2 cars home?

Options
  • 07-01-2008 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi
    I am new to this forum so i hope i have this in the right place.

I own 2 cars in the uk. If I move to ireland permanently to will i be exempt from VRT for the 2 cars?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Quattro

not a chance as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm no VRT expert, but if you've lived in the UK and owned the cars for 6 months then you have no VRT obligation. I'm open to correction - but AFAIK you'll be grand. Ring the VRO in Shannon and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If my memory serves me correctly you don't qualify for VRT relief on transfer of residence if you gotten relief on another vehicle in the previous five years. That would disqualify your second car.

EDIT - VRT 3 on the Revenue site

EDIT 2 - It appears that case this may not apply to the OP. See below.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

VRT Site wrote:
    You do not qualify for relief from VRT ... if you were working abroad on a task of duration of more than one year and you have been granted tax relief in respect of another vehicle in the previous 5 years

I think this applies to Irish people working abroad. If the OP is not Irish, I think he may be entitled to bring in both cars tax without paying VRT, but if he sells them within 12 months VRT will be due, plus no Irish person will be allowed to driver either car for 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

EDIT - Having taken a look at the relevant legislation as opposed to the Revenue site it does appear that no limits are imposed. It still seems to be a little unclear but given the 12 month sale limit that applies to VRT exemptions they may allow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Shouldn't be an issue as long as both cars owned, insured and used for 6 months at least.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

once both cars qualify you will have no problem. My wife did it a few years ago. When she called the VRT office prior to coming home and asked how many cars she could bring back the answer was 'As many as you own'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Our boss man did this with a Range Rover & a 5 series, he managed it. He was told the same thing "as many as you own" as long as they meet the criteria of being owned for at least 6 months, etc.

with more than one car coming back you can be sure the VRT lads will take a lot of interest in your case.

My missus bought the second car well in advance of coming home purely as she knew she was moving back and wanted to take advantage of the situation. The second motor was much more expensive than her original car and while she was waiting on the VRT office (nearly 5 weeks to clear them) she got phone calls from a few different people asking why she owned two cars while living in the UK etc ... she was honest and just kept saying 'because I did' .. when it came to inspection they never even looked at the cheaper car, just wanted to see the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

whippet wrote: »
    with more than one car coming back you can be sure the VRT lads will take a lot of interest in your case.

My missus bought the second car well in advance of coming home purely as she knew she was moving back and wanted to take advantage of the situation. The second motor was much more expensive than her original car and while she was waiting on the VRT office (nearly 5 weeks to clear them) she got phone calls from a few different people asking why she owned two cars while living in the UK etc ... she was honest and just kept saying 'because I did' .. when it came to inspection they never even looked at the cheaper car, just wanted to see the other one.

A few years ago my wife and I moved back from the Uk with 2 cars . An inspector came out a day just short of a year later to make sure we hadn't sold them ! ( They can't be sold for a year after bring them in VRT free)

• Advertisement

the VLC that is issued in ireland will also state that the car can't change hands until a specified date (unless the relevant VRT is paid of course)

Advertisement