Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warranty/NCT Questions

Options
  • 07-01-2008 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Happy new year to all,

I'm off to a dealer tomorrow to look at a 2005 registered car. It will have the manufacturer's warranty up until May and the dealer says he will give me 3 month engine & gearbox warranty after that. Does this sound okay or should I insist on at least 6 - 12 months full warranty?

Also, I forgot to ask him is the car NCT'd. As far as I remember it is when a car is 2 years old that it gets it's first NCT? Maybe it's not due until later on in the year. Should I get him to guarantee this/NCT it now aswell?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I would have thought 3 months was a bit stingy for a car not 3 years old yet, but I suppose it depends on the car's milage, value etc.
    A car isn't due its NCT until its 4 years old, so it's not due until next year, AFAIK the first test can be done up to 6 months in advance but I'd say its prob even a bit early for that.
    The usual story is if you're not mechanically minded get a mechanic to check it out or the AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If the mileage is average enough for a 2005 car then 3 months engine & box warranty is very stingy. Most decent dealers will offer 6-12 month bumper to bumper. Some manufacturers offer a 3 year warranty - so it's possible that some of that remains depending on what brand it is your looking at.

Advertisement