Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard and GFX Card

Options
  • 07-01-2008 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

I will be upgrading the Mobo and GFX some time in the coming weeks.

Could you recommend a Mobo + GFX combination for me. With regards to GFX, I dont want/need an 8800. My gaming is limited to flight simulator, on which i get decent FPS on my 256mb 8400gs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

What system do you have now?

Amd/Intel etc etc

Why do you need new graphics when the 8400gs is doing you fine?

Whats your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I presently have intel. Will probably upgrade that also

Wouldnt mind switching to AMD though

Im getting reasonable FPS on the 8400, but would like something a bit better

Im open to anything regardless of price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

The x38 boards for the new Intel 45nm chips are pretty expensive at the moment,all €180 plus....

Cpu market is all Intel at the moment,amd just cant compete...Intel should be releasing the new quad core range in a few weeks/late feb,Q9550 @2.66ghz looks great value at €280 or so....

If you have the money then you should go Intel quad core,x38 motherboard,Ati HD3850....

If you dont want to spend that much then get a decent core 2 duo,p35 mobo and 8600gt or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Cpu market is all Intel at the moment,amd just cant compete...Intel should be releasing the new quad core range in a few weeks/late feb,Q9550 @2.66ghz looks great value at €280 or so....

The Q9450 seems to be the 'good value' one. The Q9550 @2.8ghz is a little better on performance... a lot worse on price by the look of it. [Link]

Advertisement