Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open source data modeler

• 07-01-2008 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

What is the best data modelling tool? The target DB is MSSQL.

I'm guessing that a MYSQL tool could be used either and it should be a matter of converting the generated DB into MSSQL.

Although I am very fond of Toad Data Modeler which is commercial I can't justify the price for a small private project such as this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I know it's not what you really want, but in the early days for small projects I used to just use a spreadsheet to depict the tables. Makes for a handy reference during coding.

Table name in white on black on the top row for that table spanning two columns, then the rows below that have the table fields with fieldname in one column and datatype(length) in the second.

You'd get a lot of these on one sheet, with a blank cell separating vertically and blank columns separating horizontally. For a printout in landscape reduce the text and row/column widths, surprising how much fits onto an A4 page.

Primary key fields got a yellow background, foreign keys a cream background, and unique fields a light green background. Or you can use combinations of bold, underline, and italic to denote this.

With a proper naming convention the referential integrity constraints are obvious, if you really want these lines drawn between tables I found it's best to wait until the schema is fairly settled so you don't have to keep editing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I actually purchased Quest data modeler mostly for its cross database capabilities and also because I've used other quest products like Toad alot.

I've taken your point on board about laying out in Excel at the beginning. I was constantly moving around entities in the diagram and deleting and redrawing relationships since I started designing from scratch in the DM tool.

I did come across a good open source one called Micro OLAP. It's designed for MYSQL but I'd say it's pretty easy to port a generated schema to other DB's.

edit: sorry it's not open source

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

it doesn't target mssql so I never mentioned it, but if you were reduce to spreadsheets I would recommend looking at Druid http://sourceforge.net/projects/druid/

For those working with the Postgresql OS DB there is also PGDesigner http://www.hardgeus.com/projects/pgdesigner/
    Haven't it though so can't comment more

Advertisement