Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which cars will cease to be as of July '08?

Options
  • 07-01-2008 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Just wondering what cars you think will drift into oblivion once the new tax regime arrives in July of this year.

I'll lay one down there - Mazda RX8 (284g/km Co2 emissions = E2k tax and 36% VRT).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Some Jap imports, such as the 6th gen Civic Type R... no idea of emmissions rating, but the VTi was rated at 198 g/km so the CTR is probably more.

Don't think the VRT will be the problem as such (cars are old) but the motor tax of €1,000 pa will hurt typical purchasers of these cars.

On that, the newer CTR at 215 g/km will also hurt in the €1k bracket and the 32% VRT.

And as for the rarer S2000 at 236 g/km, 35% VRT and €2k to tax. Errr... it won't do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Audi TT 1.8T = f**ked. Its in the €2k tax band.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Some fairly common cars IMO, vw golf and jetta 1.6, Seat leon 1.6, skoda octavia 1.6.All of these are available with the ancient 1.6 non fsi engine(101bhp).CO2 emissions are fairly high, over 171g so these will be over 600 a year to tax and the vrt rate will be higher also.Vw have recently replaced the 1.6 fsi with the all new 1.4 tfsi.This engine will take over IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Itd be a shame to see the S2000 disappear... Do you think the value of pre-July '08 high emission cars will hold better than before (as a result of comparably lower tax)?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BMW 316i 1.6l petrol. A BMW dealer has confirmed this to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Considering that BMW charge a higher pre tax price for the 316i than the 318i, this is hardly surprising. If you look at my Excel file in the VRT sticky you will see that if you put the 316i and 318i in the same VRT category, the 318i is cheaper.

I'd say the Mk3 Focus saloon won't come with a 1.4 engine either. For the sake of 5 months, I'm sure Ford won't bother putting a 1.4 in the only RHD market that would bother buying a 1.4.

And similarly, as Toyota import the Corolla specially for us, the 1.4 petrol can't be with us for too much longer either(especially as if you look at the VRT sticky, if Toyota pass on the VRT saving in full, the diesel will only cost a fraction more to buy than the petrol).

Other cars that won't be around for too much longer include the Avensis and Laguna 1.6's.

I'd say that car makers will start importing some of the high power diesels after July. Toyota never bothered importing the more powerful 175 bhp diesel here. I'd say they will surely put it into the next generation Avensis, and RAV4 and maybe Auris models. Similarly Renault have a 150 and 175 bhp diesel Mégane which would be a lot more affordable after July I'm sure, as well as the higher powered versions of the 2.0 dCi in the Laguna, and Ford have the 2.0 TDCi Focus which would get in in the 20% VRT band if they decided to bring it in, and the 2.0 petrol would qualify for 24% VRT, which is of course the same as the bottom of the range 1.4 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.6 Ford Mondeo,
    1.6 Renault Laguna III,
    1.6 Toyota Avensis.
    1.6 Opel Vectra.
    1.6 Audi A3/A4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

E92 wrote: »
    I'd say that car makers will start importing some of the high power diesels after July. Toyota never bothered importing the more powerful 175 bhp diesel here. I'd say they will surely put it into the next generation Avensis, and RAV4 and maybe Auris models. Similarly Renault have a 150 and 175 bhp diesel Mégane which would be a lot more affordable after July I'm sure, as well as the higher powered versions of the 2.0 dCi in the Laguna, and Ford have the 2.0 TDCi Focus which would get in in the 20% VRT band if they decided to bring it in, and the 2.0 petrol would qualify for 24% VRT, which is of course the same as the bottom of the range 1.4 model.
    I wonder will Honda now bring in the 2.2 diesel civic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

At this rate we'll be on horse and cart in a few years. :rolleyes:

The petrols are actually very good on CO2, the 1.4 Civic is in the same VRT category as the lower powered diesels in the class(16%) and the 1.8 is in the 20% VRT, which is the same as the more powerful diesels in the class.

They are one of the few cars in the class where you can VRT and tax a petrol for the same as a rival diesel car.

All that said, the 2.2 i-CTDi would be in the 16% VRT category(the same as the 1.4) as it's pollution is 135 g/km, so they would be well able to price it competitively, so they might well bring it in.

• Advertisement

Given its emissions rating, I'd imagine the prospect of them bring it in is more likely now. But, since there's a 7 month lead-time on ordering, I'd say it could be 2009 before there would be available in a decent supply.

BUT it makes the importing of them from the UK a better option :)

bazz26 wrote: »
    1.6 Ford Mondeo

Unlikely, as Ford still sell 1.6 Mondeos across the pond(with more power than our ones of course!)
    1.6 Renault Laguna III

Definately, I'm surprised Renault even bothered to build it since their 1.5 diesel was extremely well priced indeed.
    1.6 Toyota Avensis

Will probably quietly disappear when the next generation Avensis comes here later on in the year.
    1.6 Opel Vectra

Ditto, except it will be called the Insignia when it's replaced.
    1.6 Audi A3/A4

New A4 ain't being sold in 1.6 guise, and the 8V unit in the A3 will probably cost more under the new VRT scheme than the 1.4 TFSI(24% VRT for the 3 door, 28% for the 5 door vs 20% for the 1.4TFSI for both 3 and 5 door).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

All that said, the 2.2 i-CTDi would be in the 16% VRT category(the same as the 1.4) as it's pollution is 135 g/km, so they would be well able to price it competitively, so they might well bring it in.

This is good news as I am toying with the idea of going to the UK in January/Febuary of next year and bringing home a fully loaded 05/06 Accord i-CTDi.

This is good news as I am toying with the idea of going to the UK in January/Febuary of next year and bringing home a fully loaded 05/06 Accord i-CTDi.

Which at 148 g/km puts it into the 20% VRT category(same as Mondeo and Avensis really).

Which at 148 g/km puts it into the 20% VRT category(same as Mondeo and Avensis really).

Yeah, but its down from currently 30% VRT and will have a tax band of only €290pa. Plus, it's a better car than a Mondeo or Avensis.

Defo one to keep an eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Wer'e all gonna look like racoons from the soot from all these diesels, Might import 530 d in from the north though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

Max_Damage wrote: »

I`m diggin` out me Raleigh chopper !!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

stratos wrote: »
    Wer'e all gonna look like racoons from the soot from all these diesels, Might import 530 d in from the north though.
    Unfortunately we'll be breathing it in aswell. Gormley should've waited till Euro 5...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

JHMEG wrote: »
    Gormley should've waited till Euro 5...

Gormley should've took a long walk off a short pier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Excuse my ignorance but if a high emission car like the RX8 is registered before July 08 is it tied into the current tax rate system until its scrapped, regardless of how many times the car is sold and re-registered after July 08?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nephew wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but if a high emission car like the RX8 is registered before July 08 is it tied into the current tax rate system until its scrapped, regardless of how many times the car is sold and re-registered after July 08?
    Yes. But it can't be re-registered! No car can.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

esel wrote: »
    Yes. But it can't be re-registered! No car can.

Sorry, I meant change of ownership when bought second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Gormley should've took a long walk off a short pier.

He should cycle and take his bike with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

junkyard wrote: »
    Sure our waters are polluted enough with all them bikes! and adding him to the mess ... the liffey is doomed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

GBX wrote: »
    Sure our waters are polluted enough with all them bikes! and adding him to the mess ... the liffey is doomed

I'm sure the greens could turn it around and make it into a reef or something advantageous for the environment.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

nice plan and plenty of choice in the uk..

im holding out for the new accord due later this year, im gonna get a fully loaded one too in diesel if avail in auto.. if not ill get a nice pokey petrol one
    having driven diesels for a good few years, im starting to like petrols again..

:p to the green party.:eek:

junkyard wrote: »

Indeed especially as he has travelled more miles than any other Minister by car since he took up his position!

JHMEG wrote: »
    Unfortunately we'll be breathing it in aswell. Gormley should've waited till Euro 5...

The tree hugging looney loves the environment so much that he wants to cover it in black filth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

We'll have to tax the horse according to how frequently it farts...

• Advertisement
Advertisement