Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 81....Lesnar hype has begun

• 07-01-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

http://81.ufc.com/

Includes trailer and lengthy preview of the fight between Mir and Lesnar. It also includes some WWE footage which I guess UFC acquired.

Lesnar talks a great game too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I was looking forward to this anyway, but that video has me really excited to see how Lesnar will fare in the Octagon. It's even more intriguing that Mir is a very tricky and wily competitor to make your debut against.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Oh my God he does talk a great game. "I cannt wait til I drop him on his head2 LOL:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

If they do an All Access show on Lesnar (and I see no reason why they wouldn't) it'll be great. His training is still meant to be crazy. I read about some show he was on last year where he ran out to the woods near his house, killed a deer with a bow and arrow, and then ran back home dragging the deer behind him on a sled

His experience in pro-wrestling will only help him sell his fight. He's talking the talk and you're either going to love him or hate him. I love him!

The UFC have great sites for their PPVs

Fight's on February 2nd, Superbowl weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Brock sure talks a good game lets hope he can back it up. He has the charisma to be a huge star and Dana obviously recognises that but lets just hope he is as good as he says he is.

On a sidenote I love those UFC mini sites they really help build excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is this available live in this country or do you have to wait to see it on Bravo?

• Advertisement

It'll be on Bravo on the Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Fozzy wrote: »
    I read about some show he was on last year where he ran out to the woods near his house, killed a deer with a bow and arrow, and then ran back home dragging the deer behind him on a sled
    Now thats the kinda redness i can admire!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Is this available live in this country or do you have to wait to see it on Bravo?

Dana White hopes to have a new tv deal in UK market by the end of the year so that UFC events will be shown live. Until then though, it's Bravo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Dana White hopes to have a new tv deal in UK market by the end of the year so that UFC events will be shown live. Until then though, it's Bravo.

A new deal on Bravo? Or live on PPV somewhere else like Setanta?

Not sure if that would be a good thing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

This is gonna be some fight. I really dont know which way its gonna go.

While Mir hasnt been the same since his bike accident, he still has a sick ground game and in my opinion, he has the ability to climb back to the top of the heavyweight division.

Lesnar on the other hand has never competed in the ogtagon before - fair enough, he had that fight against some journey man in the lesser leagues but we still have yet to see what he can do in MMA. Lesnar's amateur background is more than impressive though.

Its gonna be interesting to see if Lesnar can control Mir when he has him on his back. That could well be the determining factor in this fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Hopefully they can sort it out. I don't want to download it all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

wasnt like UFC 76 and 77 on setanta PPV...im sure it was at like 3.30 in the morning or something??...Im not too sure though.. The last couplae of them werent on it tho. Id say UFC 80 will be on Setanta live because it is in the U.K Must check 81 out should be good.:D:D

callaway92 wrote: »
    wasnt like UFC 76 and 77 on setanta PPV...im sure it was at like 3.30 in the morning or something??

The events held in the UK were on Setanta I think, but I thought they were live, at about 8pm. The one with Rampage vs Henderson was anyway I think

By the sounds of it it'll be Setanta who get the rights to UFC events

Yes they were live. UFC 80 will be live on Setanta Sports 1 aswell on September 19th at 8pm

SPORT: UFC 80 Rapid Fire
    On: Setanta Sports 1 Irish Version
    Date: Saturday 19th January 2008 (starting in 11 days)
    Time: 20:00 to 23:00 (3 hours long)

Live: Sit back and enjoy the gripping action from the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle as a titanic night of UFC action gets underway with the biggest stars dueling for top honours.
    (Live)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=53031

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    SPORT: UFC 80 Rapid Fire
    On: Setanta Sports 1 Irish Version

Oh, that's cool. I'll be able to watch it at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Cool.

I like Brock.

If he can fight as good as he talks he will literally really kill mir.

Does paddy power or anyone take bets on these fights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Oh, that's cool. I'll be able to watch it at home

you wont though..

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    you wont though..

Not this one. But if Setanta are going to put all their UFC shows on their Irish channel then it's handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

yayamark wrote: »
    Cool.

I like Brock.

If he can fight as good as he talks he will literally really kill mir.

Does paddy power or anyone take bets on these fights?

Yes

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_sports_level1&category=SPORTS&ev_class_id=172

Not this one. But if Setanta are going to put all their UFC shows on their Irish channel then it's handy!

I think you misunderstand. It will be shown on Setanta Sports 1 and not Setanta Ireland. The reason it says Setanta Sports 1 Irish Version is to distiguish it from the Setanta Sports 1 in the UK on Digiguide.

• Advertisement

Whatever happens, I hope they make a Tim Silvia/Brock fight. I'm loving the subtle (and the not so subtle stuff) that both have been saying about each other the last few weeks.

Yes, there are 2 Setanta Sports 1's the UK one and the Ireland one. This is because Setanta won the rights to show the Premiership in Ireland and the UK but only has the rights to air 3 o'clock games in Ireland.
    Rapidfire will be on TV here , dont worry :)

Also speaking of heavyweight fights , be looking towards a possible Lesnar Couture fight. If that doesnt work out it will be Tim Sylvia .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Can see Couture looking for a fight with Lesnar after what he said about not letting a 197lb guy come up to heavyweight and beat you

Ah yes, I understand what way the Setanta Sports channels are now. Haven't watched much tv in a while, I forgot
    Melion wrote: »
    Can see Couture looking for a fight with Lesnar after what he said about not letting a 197lb guy come up to heavyweight and beat you

That was a knock on Sylvia, not on Couture. Randy seems focused on getting a fight with Fedor, but if Brock's established himself as a top guy by then, then maybe Randy will be willing to take that challenge

Sylvia's the worst at taking shots at guys. He never backs it up! The UFC should play up how much he whines and make him a bigger heel. I think that we could be seeing him vs Brock sooner rather than later if Brock wins and Sylvia loses at 81

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If Brock can last 5 minutes without being submitted, he has a very good chance.. Mir's gas tank has always been his weak point. Brock's gas tank is most likely top notch like every wrestler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

If they do an All Access show on Lesnar (and I see no reason why they wouldn't) it'll be great. His training is still meant to be crazy. I read about some show he was on last year where he ran out to the woods near his house, killed a deer with a bow and arrow, and then ran back home dragging the deer behind him on a sled

His experience in pro-wrestling will only help him sell his fight. He's talking the talk and you're either going to love him or hate him. I love him!

The UFC have great sites for their PPVs

Fight's on February 2nd, Superbowl weekend

Now that you mentioned that,the UFC is trying to go head to head with every other major sporting event it seems.They did the same for the hatton vs mayweather fight and the superbowl is next on their agenda.I dont know why they are doing it but it certainly seems as though they want to go head to head with the top sporting events.

As for Mir vs Brock.....im getting excited!!!!!!!!!!!!People dont realise that over the last few years brock has been working his ass off for MMA,nothing else.This is definitley not a case of someone from a different sport trying to make some extra money in MMA.Brock is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the heavyweight division.What makes this interesting is that hes a wrestler who is going up against a great bjj fighter in Frank mir.Its going to be interesting to see what his strategy is for this fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

dlofnep wrote: »
    If Brock can last 5 minutes without being submitted, he has a very good chance.. Mir's gas tank has always been his weak point. Brock's gas tank is most likely top notch like every wrestler.

it might be whats in his gas tank thats the trouble lol

I think brocks gas tank will be ok. Really looking forward to the fight. Saying that it could be terrible to see.

Brock interview from mmajunkie.com :
    Former WWE superstar and relative MMA newcomer Brock Lesnar (1-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is confident as he prepares for his highly anticipated octagon debut against former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir (10-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) at UFC 81. Lesnar discussed his preparation with the crew of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com) on Wednesday.

“I’m very excited,” Lesnar said. “Frank is more than a credible opponent for me, and it’s a true test for me. It’s a make-or-break opportunity for me to bust into the MMA world.“

The Lesnar-Mir fight is set for UFC 81, which takes place Feb. 2 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The bout appears on the televised main card of the pay-per-view event.

Lesnar, a former high school and collegiate wrestling stand-out, said he would not hesitate to go to the mat with Mir, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt.

“I’m not afraid to take this fight to the ground,” Lesnar said. “The key for me is to be able to control his hips on the ground… and in the meantime put as much leather on his face as possible.“

In just his second professional MMA fight, Lesnar recognizes that Mir will have the edge in overall cage experience, but he doesn’t see many other factors in Mir’s favor.

“I don’t think Frank is going to be able to overpower me,” Lesnar said. “If he does get his hands on me, I don’t think he’s going to be able to finish it. And I’m very confident in my stand-up game… I plan to be in his face the whole time and break him. I’m going to push the pace of this fight to a limit he’s not going to be able to hang with. I do believe that.“

Lesnar has been training at the Minnesota Mixed Martial Arts Academy, the home gym of former UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk. Lesnar also credited Shooto veteran Erik Paulson for being the training partner most able to emulate the style of Mir in sparring sessions.

And while Lesnar admitted to the importance of this fight for his budding career, saying that he has “all to gain and everything to lose,” he’s not focused on the fact that he’s actually considered a small favorite to defeat a former champ so early in his career.

“I don’t have any added pressure,” Lesnar said. “I’ve got one plan, and that’s to go out and perform to the best of my capabilities and to win this fight.“

And from the Observer
    TNA has made a business deal with UFC regarding promotion of UFC's 2/2 PPV show, and in particular the Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir match.

Details aren't known, but it is expected there will be heavy advertising of the next UFC during the TNA shows over the next two weeks. In addition, during the body of the shows will be hype packages to build up the match.

Next week's Impact will include a Brock Lesnar training package, as well as a Kurt Angle interview, where he breaks down the Lesnar vs. Mir match.

Smart move by UFC.

• Advertisement

Those TNA shows will be strange. Their usual bad comedy interrupted for some serious talk about Lesnar. And I guarantee those clips will get people more interested in seeing Lesnar's fight than TNA's next PPV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

But it might give TNA a small ratings boost and it seems a progressive move for both companies to be working together considering they're on the same T.V. channel

Bubs101 wrote: »
    But it might give TNA a small ratings boost and it seems a progressive move for both companies to be working together considering they're on the same T.V. channel

Why would it give TNA a ratings boost? The UFC will be doing a full show themselves on Lesnar, it's not as if a UFC fan would have to tune in to TNA to catch him training. I doubt many MMA fans care about what Angle thinks about the fight either. I've heard him talk about it and he basically just said that Lesnar's brilliant and Frank will have to watch out. He doesn't sound very knowledgeable about MMA

Anyway, the past has proven that ratings boosts for TNA accomplish absolutely nothing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwozg9Djlak

UFC promo video for Lesnar on TNA last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwozg9Djlak

UFC promo video for Lesnar on TNA last night.

Just after I watched that,I saw this video at the side..Brock Vs Angle?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwF4cPYXAI0&NR=1
    Interesting

For those that haven't seen it. Here's Lesnars debut in MMA from last year. Commentators are Mauro Raunallo, Goldberg and some other guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XLkqQwIT2k&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If he is telling the truth about why he didn't sign for UFC that's commendable.

If he is telling the truth about why he didn't sign for UFC that's commendable.

You know, I think he might be but it's hard to believe Kurt sometimes as talks alot of bull in interviews.

fatal wrote: »
    Just after I watched that,I saw this video at the side..Brock Vs Angle?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwF4cPYXAI0&NR=1
    Interesting

Kurt won't be fighting MMA! I just read that yesterday Brock said in an interview that it won't be happening because Kurt is in too bad of a physical condition. He doesn't know a whole lot about MMA either and he seems to just use it for publicity. Like in the clip from that video, when he's talking about stepping into the octagon and the hosts correct him when he says it wouldn't be with UFC, and then he says octagon again straight after

If it's true that the reason he didn't sign with the UFC was simply because he wouldn't give up that amount of time to train, then why wouldn't he sign with Bodog or the IFL? The IFL commissioner and Ken Shamrock were on Inside MMA (the show that Kurt was on in the interview above) and they talked about how Kurt clearly wasn't serious about MMA

WWE and TNA both will be promoting UFC this week

by Dave Meltzer

Dave@wrestlingobserver.com

Both WWE and TNA will be promoting the Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar matches over the next week.

UFC made deals with both companies. At the Royal Rumble tonight, there were signs all over the concourse at Madison Square Garden as well as on the big marquee for the Garden outside on 7th Avenue with video playing of Lesnar.

There will be a second piece airing on TNA Impact on Thursday. The feature will include both Kurt Angle, Lesnar and Mir putting over TNA, as well as hyping the UFC fight. The feature will also push fans to watch All Access: Brock Lesnar, which airs at midnight Thursday night on Spike.

There will be nothing on WWE television, although UFC commercials will be appearing in most markets during both Raw and Smackdown.

However, WWE.com will have a promotion building up the fight later this week.

The UFC are leaving no stone unturned to promote this.

I can't wait to see All Access. When WWE showed Brock training it was deadly, I can only imagine that it'll be even better now

• Advertisement

Video interviews here with both Lesnar and Mir: http://bloodyelbow.com/story/2008/1/29/20120/2975

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I can really see this fight ending very quickly, with Lesnar getting a quick takedown on Mir, only to be submitted by a guillotine, armbar, heel-hook, triangle, etc.
    Of course, Lesnar may also succeed in pounding Mir's face in. Either way, I imagine it won't take too long. T'will be one to watch!

WWE.com have a poll up at the moment asking if Brock will win "his fight"

WWE.com have a poll up at the moment asking if Brock will win "his fight"

Weird.

As posted on the SD/MA board, Countdown to UFC 81: http://www.stage6.com/user/EvilMasterMMA/video/2161484/Countdown-To-UFC-81 It looks at the two heavyweight fights, the fighter's pasts, how they're training, what they have to look out for and why they think they'll win

And as aired last night in the US, All Access: Brock Lesnar: http://www.stage6.com/user/EvilMasterMMA/video/2167272/UFC-All-Access:-Brock-Lesnar I'm just about to watch, should be good. Angle's on it too

Oh, and WWE.com had more than just a poll about Brock up, they had a huge ad at the top and sides of the site. I couldn't see it as I have ads blocked but my mate was telling me that he found it strange

Both of those videos you posted Fozzy are really good. I think pro-wrestling fans might like All Access Brock (with Sable!~!) better but the countdown show is good too.

I just got done watching All Access, great show. Angle's not on it, I must've read that wrong somewhere. He is on the Countdown show though. Brock's interview on Countdown hypes up the fight better but it's really interesting looking at how Brock trains in All Access

Well if he doesn't become a success in MMA, it won't be for the lack of effort that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

To be honest Brock is tailor made for Mir to make a comeback with.

A big strong wrestler who will rely on that. When Mir came into the UFC thats really all the Heavyweight division was and he cleaned them out.

If Brock works the clinch, keeps it on his feet for a while, stuffs Mir against the fence and launches in very active knee's and elbows for about a round and half i reckon he could gas Mir.

However....i still think you can't write off Mir catching you in something even if he's dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

hes a beast no doubt!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement