Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The smell in that bloody alley-way is an affront to this city

Options
  • 07-01-2008 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

You know the one I'm talking about... that stinking alley-way beside Tower Records or whatever they're called, on Wicklow Street. Block your eyes ladies I'm about to describe something vulgar; It smells of stale piss.

What can be done about this? A letter to the corporation? A ban on all vagrants from entering the city centre area? Lashings of Jeyes Fluid?

I wish somebody would do something about it, I really do have to hold my nose every day I walk past there with my lunch...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Walk past it every morning, have taken to walking on the opposite side of the road, but it still doesn't make it better. It makes standing at the ATM unbearable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Wasnt there a body found in that alleyway a few years back? Your right though it fookin reaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tigrrrr wrote: »
    You know the one I'm talking about... that stinking alley-way
    Glendinning Lane. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Was a body found there alright, guards had "searched" it a few days previously and didn't see the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I think you doing vagrants a disservis, that lane would be used by the 'too many drinks can't hold till the next pub' brigade.Stick around some night and you'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,144 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pretty much all lanes in the city centre smell that way, no? There's one on Eden Quay just before the Laughter Lounge that stinks at both ends...

You'd probably have to (a) clamp down on vagrants, (b) actually have tough and enforced penalties for those urinating in public - whether drinkers or vagrants - and (c) have some public toilets.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

No this one takes the biscuit. It is completely and utterly minging!

I won't even use the ATM on Wicklow Street any more.

On really bad days when the wind is blowing you can smell it down the far end of Wicklow Street, that's how bad it stinks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Firesuite

It's absolutely mingin alright, and not just the normal 'alley that smells of drunken piss' stink either - it has to be something more than that. I dunno how that bar beside it hasn't done something about it.. AKA or whatever?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

It is rank, smells like sick, someone actually started a thread about the very same thing not so long ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055116882&highlight=burger+king

Electric wrote: »
    It is completely and utterly minging
    Firesuite wrote: »
    It's absolutely mingin alright, and not just the normal 'alley that smells of drunken piss' stink either - it has to be something more than that
    xzanti wrote: »
    It is rank, smells like sick
    Lads, you mustn't get out much - there's much worse stinking lanes around. Urine and vomit are nothing. Take a walk down Park Lane East where people go to defecate! :eek:

Here's a couple of pictures of Glendinning Lane for anyone who is not familiar with it. :)

GlendinningLane2.jpg

GlendinningLane.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Yes, it smells terrible, but I prefer it to the stray cat alleyway.

for anyone not familiar with this place, there's an alleyway on camden st. that looks normal. then you walk down it, and it still looks normal. then you look up. and realise you're surrounded by up to 100 cats staring down from the rooftops.

its eerie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'm going into town tonight. I may give it a sniff later for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Tigrrrr wrote: »
    I wish somebody would do something about it, I really do have to hold my nose every day I walk past there with my lunch...

What is it that you expect somebody to do? Irish are pissheads and they piss down lanes. Ask the pissheads who piss down the lane to stop pissing down the lane.

End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The alley on the quays between Lwr. Abbey St. and Eden Quay is disgusting... :eek: Its beside the newsagents and the dodgy strip club. It reeks and looks really dodgy too.

WindSock wrote: »
    I'm going into town tonight. I may give it a sniff later for fun.
    Well Windsock, did you get a sniff?
    Joe Robot wrote: »
    The alley on the quays between Lwr. Abbey St. and Eden Quay is disgusting... :eek: Its beside the newsagents and the dodgy strip club. It reeks and looks really dodgy too.
    Harbour Court I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Harbour Court I think?

Yeah I think thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

No, we didn't end up going near there at all :(

I will try again though...someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Don't forget Prince's Lane!
    (From Prince's St N to Abbey St, at the back of what used to the the Irish Independent)

Advertisement