Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommendations for Upgrading Wheels

Options
  • 07-01-2008 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I'm thinking of ordering a new VW Golf GT Sport (140hp version) over the next few weeks. AFAIK they come as standard with 16" Mugello wheels. I'm seriously considering putting on 18" GTI Detroits, or maybe 18" new RS4 wheels. What is the story if I ask the dealer I would like these wheels (say for eg the GTI) instead of the originals 16's. I know some dealers come back with spiels about VW/Audi not having them as an option because of ground clearance while shipping and so and so. Is this true?

If I ordered the car with the 16's on it, how would you recommend upgrading from then? I have seen a few stores on eBay with authentic wheels for reasonable enough prices, do you think this would be a good way to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

I never heard that story about ground clearance but maybe its true.If the dealer wont upgrade your wheels to the 18 inch, (i cant imagine him saying no as you're giving him a ball of money for the car)you can still buy the detroits off a company selling alloys.There are plenty crowds up the north, check the autotrader.You coud keep your 16's as a spare set, or sell them to recoup the price of the detroits.Personally i'd keep the 16's as spares as 18 inch wheels+ low profiles + irish roads = buckled wheel:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

18s are a must in my opinion,but my number one rule would be stay away from replica wheels,OEM or nothing.

Advertisement