Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lotus Owners?

Options
  • 07-01-2008 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

I just bought a Lotus Elise (04) a couple of days ago and had some questions for any other Elise owners out there:

- Have any scumbags attempted to steal the car, or break into your house looking for the keys?

- Have any scumbags ran a key up it, or a knife across the soft top roof?

- Do you think the removable hardtop roof is a worth while investment, security wise?

- Is the standard factory fitted alarm and immobilizer good enough for securing the car, or should I get something else to make it more secure (removable steering wheel etc)?

- Do you keep the car in a secure garage, or park it in a driveway?

Any advice is appreciated, just getting pretty paranoid about just how safe the car will be :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sorry can't really help you but... nice car! :D

With regards to immoboliser. If the K-Series engine uses the same security as the Rover then yes, it's a good system. The K-Series Rover used a Lucas 5AS immoboliser. Basicly, without pressing the 'unlock' on the fob, you're not starting the car. The 'code' changes every time you open/close the car so no worry of those scanner jobbies picking up the 'code' and then disabling the immoboliser at a later date

There was a manual over-ride code. This was a 4 digit code (supplied on a card in your owners wallet) that was entered via the drivers doorlock

This is all pending that you have the Lucas 5AS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Thanks for the info. I could be wrong, but i think the Elise S1 models came with the Lucas 5AS immobolizer, and the later S2 models had a Cobra immobolizer. I suppose I could check the manual and see but im 90% sure its the Cobra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

On the idea of people breaking into your house for the keys, I always wire a switch into the fuel pump of my cars. Hide it under the dash somewhere. If they steal your keys, still no start as they don't know where the switch is.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 freq modulated

stratos wrote: »
    If they steal your keys, still no start as they don't know where the switch is.

and then they come into your house and pour a kettle of boiling water oer you or worse your wife untill you tell them how to start it.

Keys, out of reach, but in the front hall. This is why we have insurance lads.

On the original questions. I know quite a few with Lotus' ad they all have hard tops afaik. Mixture of standard alarms and more sophisticated trackers afai remember. Nice motor, good choice. Keep it between the ditches.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

and then they come into your house and pour a kettle of boiling water oer you or worse your wife untill you tell them how to start it.

It's all good.Shigsy isnt married . :) Although,Shigsy maybe you should look into getting decoy wife in case the above situation comes up. A nice, cheap, replaceable thai mail order one whould do the job. :D

• Advertisement

Damn this lack of a post deleter button thinky!!

I know quite a few with Lotus' ad they all have hard tops afaik
    Yeah, think this would be a good idea so.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    It's all good.Shigsy isnt married . :) Although,Shigsy maybe you should look into getting decoy wife in case the above situation comes up. A nice, cheap, replaceable thai mail order one whould do the job. :D

Might be worth looking into alright... do lotus sell blowup decoy dolls? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

"Might be worth looking into alright... do lotus sell blowup decoy dolls? "
    Yep..got one meself....if you check under the passenger seat they came as standard but dont advertise it!:rolleyes:

:D

Right, so it looks like a hard top is a good idea. Any comments on the whole scumbags wrecking/stealing the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Just heard about a guy who spent 3 months in hospital after getting beaten up by some scumbags who saw him driving a Lotus Elise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I have a hidden tilt switch on my kettle, if you put it under the tap it won't boil until its reset, next.:rolleyes:

Advertisement