Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do Radio traffic Alerts work here?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Alun wrote: »
    I assume that was "need" rather than "new"?

That's assuming you're listening to the radio which I rarely do.

TA broadcasts will also interrupt CD's or any other music source as well. It works very well if it's implemented properly, like it is in Germany, but there's no hope of that ever happening here.

Sorry yeh I meant need.

I just wish they'd get the finger out and give us TMC for sat nav.

I will ask a broadcast engineer I know the reason behind it not being used and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

aphex™ wrote: »
    Isn't there a broadcast signal from the UK you can pick up that gives the time? It's pretty famous and made the news when they moved it from Rugby to another place recently. ALL electronics should use that. Can't believe they don't .
    That time is broadcast from Frankfurt. Here was a recent offer on iBood that mentions this:

http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=1&topic=1318

These are diffetent to the TA. As an aside if you buy a clock on the continent then it'll work off the German transmitter, which means it's no good for here as your clock will always be an hour fast. You need to get the UK clocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Del2005 wrote: »
    These are diffetent to the TA. As an aside if you buy a clock on the continent then it'll work off the German transmitter, which means it's no good for here as your clock will always be an hour fast. You need to get the UK clocks.
    got one from lidl and you can offset it by an hour, works perfectly (you just need to make sure you can adjust the time. the mother in law bought one in austria (cost loads) and you cant offset the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

I have asked a broadcast engineer about this.......

The official reason for no TA here is that the BCI never gave guidelines for stations using it and just announced it should not be used in Ireland.

A lot of radios operated differently when TA was switched on, some would not switch back to the station/source you were listening to which seems to have been another problem.

I get the impression that station's not using TA put pressure on the BCI to make a stand on not using it as they felt their could be losing out on listeners due to radios not flicking back.

Advertisement